Common searches

Front Ends

Topic actions

First post, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Recently I've been building, yes, another FrontEnd named D.O.G. . I was looking at a lot of posts, and saw that people, beginners or not in DosBox, having troubles with setting up a game as simple as The Elder Scrolls Arena. Thats why I thought, why not build a FrontEnd that allows people to configure a conf file and additional stuff like extenders and sutch, by just selecting the game's name in a list.

The application, at the moment, doesn't support saving a conf file as a link, and the automatic configuration thingy also is currently unavailable. But manipulating the conf file and saving/loading is working. D.O.G. doesn't save its settings as a profile or in another file, it saves it to a conf file and loads it from a conf file, just like DosBox.

D.O.G. is added as a attachment to this post.

Send me your comments.

Thats what I'm trying to do. The application will be compatible with the 0.65 version of DosBox.

I've also set up my pc to compile DosBox, so maybe, If I'm smart enough to figure DosBox out, I'll be making contributions to your wonderfull emulator.

Btw got a question,
If I want to go to a directory with a space in its name, what do i do to go to this directory, because cd "Dir with spaces\dir" doesn't work.

Erik.

Reply 1 of 13, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With the mount command, you can use long directory names and names with spaces in, but not with the actual dos commands like CD - real DOS and thus DosBox is limited to 8 characters + 3 for extension (8.3 format) without spaces. To get into a directory with a long name/with spaces, you need to use its short name which is something like longna~1 or longna~1.exe.

Needless to say, it's recommended to just avoid such names altogether for dos stuff.

Reply 3 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well heres how I look at it - I currently use D-fend for ease of use and because it allows me to store hundreds of conf files and is very handy. In order for me to switch, another front-end would have to outdo D-fend. 😉 So my suggestion to you is to download it and see what you can top.

For me I would like to be able to edit more than one conf at a time (and have it save common edits I make, like resolution/scalers etc) and maybe have a seperate area for Box art and manuals/text files.

Reply 4 of 13, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had downloaded it and have it on my laptop, noticed two bugs in the new version, but with his emailtroubles my answers didn't came through

These are in the conf file SDL.useScancodes is falsly typed.
And the loadfix thingy doesn't seem to work with DosBox 0.65

Thanks for the info.

Erik.

Reply 5 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well yeah there are bugs, but compare it to what else it out there. As I said if you can top it, you'll have me as a new user. Depending of course on whether or not I feel setting up all my games over again in a new front end (batch conversion would kick ass but lets be realistic)

Good luck 😀

Reply 6 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What I would like to see in a Windows frontend would be one that could be invoked from a context menu selection on a DOS executable (like VDMS's Launchpad) and can generate a shortcut to launch a game in DOSBox with a custom dosbox.conf, preferably in that game's folder for archiving purposes.

The way that I usually use DOSBox is to manually create these shortcuts and dosbox.confs for games that need no further tweaking and just drop executables or folders on a DOSBox shortcut for experimenting with or setting up a game. Until there is a frontend that will automate this process for me, like this, I will use no frontend.

Reply 7 of 13, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I had been thinking about being conversion applical, and I 've been looking into the datastructures of D-Fend and others. And will be built in.
Also the idea of being able to install a game with context menu's is tempting, really I like the idea.

I've also been looking into things like
freedos keyb 'implemented'
"Cannot create rendering" fix 'implemented'
dos32a dos extender replacement fix 'nt implemented yet'
Profile Manager 'nt implemented yet'
and so on and on...

The current GUI is still bit, let me be honest, CRUDE so I guess i'll keep the current GUI as an extention for the new GUI to adjust options.

Erik.

Reply 8 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If you want to be the "best" frontend:
support zip files.
e.g unzip them in a temporary directory, run the game, cleanup when finished.
with optinally some support for keeping track of the changes when compared to start. (by unzipping it again and diffing the directories.
Storing those changes somewhere and apply them the next time.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ughh, Why bother zipping/unzipping files when you could just integrate Physfs into the CVS? 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 13, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks didn't know that option existed.

True, but then you need to get ykhwong's CVS, or is it already common to all versions? I'm trying to keep its compatibility with the other versions if one is better then the other then people can choose.

Thanks for the input.

Erik.

Reply 12 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, PhysFS isn't in CVS which is why I made the comment above.

It would be neat to see it supported in your frontend tho since if/when PhysFS is integrated into DosBox it'll be the same as is what's in ykhwong's.

Only problem with implementing something that is not in CVS but may be integrated in the future is user confusion. I guess it could be a "Beta" option or somesuch.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 13, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

D-Fend is my point-of-reference as well. May I suggest to take a look here DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend) ?! I hope we can somehow combine all the good ideas and intentions, to finally come up with one killer front-end app.

Regards,
Ronald