VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 1968, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Nice!!! I could take the contents of database.script (minus the DBA stuff) and execute the SQL in an empty OpenOffice.org and get my own little game database. Now, if I could just figure out how to export it from OOo again....

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 161 of 1968, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Is there anyway of specificying a different path to the database files, e.g. with

java -Dhsqldb=some\path\some\where .....

Reply 162 of 1968, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I miss a field for adding a link to online documentation. I know I can use the Link1 and Link2 fields for it, but just like there is a field for Main and Setup, perhaps there should be a field for Manual?

Reply 163 of 1968, by daisho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

I miss a field for adding a link to online documentation. I know I can use the Link1 and Link2 fields for it, but just like there is a field for Main and Setup, perhaps there should be a field for Manual?

I would like it if these links could also open local files.

Reply 164 of 1968, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

They can :) Use a notation like this:

file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Your User Name/Documents/Some file name.txt

Last edited by MiniMax on 2007-02-28, 19:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 165 of 1968, by daisho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, that works in my browser but not in DBGL. 😢

Well, at least not for me and not with a .hlp file. I even tried changing the spaces to %20.

__edit:

Ooops, my bad.

It does work with txt and pdf. It must be a mime thing or something that keeps it from working with hlp files.

Reply 166 of 1968, by daisho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

rcblanke,
Thank you so much for this kick butt program. When I was a kid in the 80's I often thought about how to make a program to keep track of all my DOS games and their specialized settings and game instructions. Sadly, I never got around to it and just settled for the HDM menu system instead (which was pretty good for it). Just as well though, because decades later, DBGL combined with DOSBox is far better than anything I imagined.

I have a few suggestions but I won't bother you with the nit-picky details until you have had a chance to fix them on your own. Here are some of my better suggestions.

Add an [autoexec] editor so I don't have to use a bat file to load extra thingies. This _might_ be easiest managed by leaving the mount statements out of the editor... or not.

On the profiles grid, alternate the background color of the rows for every new value in the current sort column. i.e. If you are sorting on Genre then all Action rows would be one color and all Adventure rows would be another. Or, if sorting on Title, every row would alternate colors. (This should probably be optional.)

This is the biggie. I would VERY MUCH LIKE to be able to export an entire game profile for distribution. The .conf file, the screenshots, and the database data -- all in one file. This is especially because I like the screenshots and the Notes section so much (I type in simplified game instructions myself). This would no doubt be a huge amount of work but it may simplify future DBGL database changes and upgrades (much of the upgrade code would already be there because of this) and should also increase the popularity of DBGL.

BTW: if you are still looking for another name for DBGL, how about DOSBoss, or something like that. DBDB? DB-squared? Don't be square? DoubleTrouble? Ahh, forget it. DOSBoss sounds great if it isn't already taken.

Reply 167 of 1968, by Vindicis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having some issues getting your excellent app to run on my new Vista box. For some reason it thinks the JRE isn't installed. Could this be because I'm using JRE 1.6 (which is necessary with Vista)? This is the error I get:

Unable to locate JRE meeting specification "1.5"

Sorry - you don't seem to have the required version of the
Java Runtime Environment [JRE] installed. DBGL requires at
least JRE 1.5 to run.

Press any key to continue . . .

Thoughts? Thanks for all the hard work!

Reply 168 of 1968, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Vindicis - try the attached dbgl.cmd file instead of dbgl.bat.

Put dbgl.cmd in the same directory where you installed DBGL. Doubble-click dbgl.cmd and see if DBGL runs correctly. There is a good chance that it will work fine, but there might be some incompatibilities between DBGL (written and tested with Java 5) and your Java 6 install.

If it seems to work fine, then rename the old dbgl.bat to dbgl.bat.ORIG (so you are sure that it will not be used from some old shortcut), and update the shortcuts in your Start => Program folder, your desktop, etc so they point to dbgl.cmd.

And please come back here and tell me if it worked 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    dbgl.cmd.zip
    File size
    596 Bytes
    Downloads
    298 downloads
    File comment
    CMD-script to launch DBGL with Java 5 or better.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 171 of 1968, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might I offer an idea for another improvement? You can add an ISO or CUE file (using imgmount) but while it says "Mount CD Imag(s)" the browse button will only allow one. This is a bit annoying when you have to add 4 CD images and the browse button while replace the previous one with the new one. You have to manually copy and paste links in there for more than one image.

Would it be possible to have a small list where you can remove and add images instead of overwriting them when you want to pick the next image? Maybe rename "browse" to "add"?

Reply 172 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Minimax, thanks for the work while I was away!
@daisho and Vindicis, thanks and thanks for the suggestions. I will certainly consider them carefully.

red_avatar, it should be possible to select more than one file in the 'browse' dialog window. Just hold shift or ctrl and click on the files that you want to use. All the selected files will show up in the "Mount CD Image(s)"-inputfield.

Reply 175 of 1968, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Initial cycles? Like how? Examples please. DBGL creates a per-game config already.

Reply 177 of 1968, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wanted to post to say that I've downloaded the latest DBGL and an planning on putting my entire DOS collection into it. Any tips or hints would be appreciated.

All of my DOS games are .zip's but not all of them are setup right for PhysFS. Would be nice if official DosBox supported PhysFS but since not then I'll be using yhkwong's CVS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 178 of 1968, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, I would like to have the ability to move DBGL to say an external drive or another drive letter.

In DosBox without a frontend I usually use "mount c ." to load the current directory. Therefore moving the DosBox directory to any drive works just fine.

With DBGL it looks like the frontend has to have the full path to operate. Is there any way around this?

Reply 179 of 1968, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there a way to add a custom column? I'd like to sort between Full/Demo/Shareway/Freeware/GPL/etc.