Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1960 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use "Windows 3.x" as the platform filter, that will work. Indeed it looks like DBGL wil take the last release of a game, but since usually there's only booters and dos releases in the MobyGame API result set, that's not really an issue.

Reply 1961 of 1968, by snoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2024-03-21, 16:45:

You can use "Windows 3.x" as the platform filter, that will work. Indeed it looks like DBGL wil take the last release of a game, but since usually there's only booters and dos releases in the MobyGame API result set, that's not really an issue.

Yes, you are right about the filter. I was using win3x but Windows 3.x is the right one to use. Thank you for that. After adding Windows 3.x to the filters, I am getting info for the 1994 Windows 3.x release when searching. Here are the filters I currently have set in File > Preferences > Web Information Archives > Platforms to query:

dos
pc booter
Windows 3.x

Reply 1962 of 1968, by snoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have another question that I hope someone can help with in regards to making DBGL portable.

I'm on Linux Mint and I extracted DBGL to my home folder /home/<username>/dbgl, which contains all the default directories (captures, dosroot, etc.) but when I ran it the first time from this location, it created a new folder at /home/<username>/.local/share/dbgl which also contains the captures, dosroot, etc. folders and also a settings.conf file.

No settings file was created in the original DBGL folder, only in the newly created folder in the /home/<username>/.local/share/dbgl directory. I moved the settings file to DBGL folder in my home directory, and deleted /home/<username>/.local/share/dbgl. I then confirmed that both data and dosbox directories are set to . :

[directory]
data=.
dosbox=.

I ran DBGL again, and it still created a new directory at /home/<username>/.local/share/dbgl instead of using the one I created in my home folder.

How can I make it so that everything is contained in one portable directory, such that I can move the directory to different locations or even different machines without breaking anything?

EDIT:

I found the answer in this post: Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

I opened the dbgl file and changed this:

Ddbgl.data.userhome=true

to this:

Ddbgl.data.userhome=false

Now it seems that the DBGL folder is portable.

Reply 1963 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just installed a fresh version of DBGL v0.98 on a USB drive and I'm having some issues...

1) DOSBox v0.74-3 appears listed several times on the DOSBox builds section. And PC model templates show twice, associated with two different DOSBox v0.74-3 installations.

2) From the DBGL installation in my harddrive, I can't export game profiles as usual. If you remember, some time ago rcblanke marked in yellow those profiles that needed extra files from the folder inmediately superior to the one with the game's main executable. This for example is useful with profiles with games installed from an ISO, so the ISO file is not left behind when exporting. Or for games that need to run from a especific folder no matter what.

Well, I just selected a whole bunch of games (probably way too many) to export to my new DBGL installation, but some games are still marked in yellow although I've individually chosen the correct folders. Either I'm making some obvious mistake or there's a problem somewhere.

LGY8JyC.png

I can't proceed with the export process 🙁

EDIT: It seems I was choosing way too many games to export. And probably one single mistake meant I couldn't proceed with the export process. Now I've tried with just the games starting with "A" and I can indeed proceed. Although it is a bit confusing that the game profiles still show in yellow AFTER they've been corrected. I wonder if this behaviour can be changed.

WeeEZs7.png

Reply 1964 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A further update on my DBGL issues from last night.

As I proceeded with importing my old games to the USB pen, I noticed another issue. With every imported pack, DBGL keeps adding another DOSBox v0.73-4 build to the database. And with it, another set of computer profiles. I can always delete them afterwards, but it's cumbersome.

EalMxxc.png

In the case of computer profiles, the issue gets worse because you cannot delete them in bulk, you have to delete each one individually 🙁

EDIT: I think I got another bug, minor but nevertheless annoying: DOSBox-X ignores command to launch in fullscreen.

Reply 1965 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote on 2024-04-02, 18:00:

DOSBox v0.74-3 appears listed several times on the DOSBox builds section. And PC model templates show twice, associated with two different DOSBox v0.74-3 installations.
As I proceeded with importing my old games to the USB pen, I noticed another issue. With every imported pack, DBGL keeps adding another DOSBox v0.73-4 build to the database. And with it, another set of computer profiles.

Thanks for reporting this problem Neville. Actually, I believe this issue to be unrelated to game importing. The only way I can see the default DOSBox version and the default templates from being added automatically, is on the first DBGL startup. However, when changing certain options in the 'File'->'Preferences' dialog window (for example, enabling Dark-mode), DBGL will restart itself. I found that this could trigger the behaviour you describe. Neville, do you remember changing some preferences on your first DBGL startup? Then that could indeed be the cause. It is fixed in this new beta build.

2) From the DBGL installation in my harddrive, I can't export game profiles as usual. If you remember, some time ago rcblanke marked in yellow those profiles that needed extra files from the folder inmediately superior to the one with the game's main executable. This for example is useful with profiles with games installed from an ISO, so the ISO file is not left behind when exporting. Or for games that need to run from a especific folder no matter what.
Well, I just selected a whole bunch of games (probably way too many) to export to my new DBGL installation, but some games are still marked in yellow although I've individually chosen the correct folders. Either I'm making some obvious mistake or there's a problem somewhere. It is a bit confusing that the game profiles still show in yellow AFTER they've been corrected. I wonder if this behaviour can be changed.

Also fixed in DBGL 0.99 beta1.

I can't proceed with the export process 🙁

What prevented you from continuing the export? Did you get a error message that you couldn't resolve? Maybe the message is unclear and needs to be reworded.

EDIT: It seems I was choosing way too many games to export. And probably one single mistake meant I couldn't proceed with the export process.

There really is no limit to the amount of games to export. I've exported (and imported) many thousands of games/profiles at once. So I'm curious to hear about the reason you couldn't continue the export.

DOSBox-X ignores command to launch in fullscreen.

As you know, I'm currently working on improving support for DOSBox forks such as ECE, Staging and -X. It is quite a tedious job, and requires a rebuild of the template/profile editor. Not only because of the dialog space required to fit all the options, but also because of performance reasons. But I'm making some progress.

editor2-a.png
Filename
editor2-a.png
File size
67.05 KiB
Views
File comment
Editor 2.0
File license
Public domain
editor2-b.png
Filename
editor2-b.png
File size
66.16 KiB
Views
File comment
Editor 2.0
File license
Public domain

Reply 1966 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There really is no limit to the amount of games to export. I've exported (and imported) many thousands of games/profiles at once. So I'm curious to hear about the reason you couldn't continue the export.

I believe the process wouldn't continue because there were too many errors on the profiles I selected. On one hand the mounting issues already marked in yellow, but also my long-standing issue with game folders containing regional characters. I plan to change as many of those as I can in my collection, but it can take me some time to do it.

Neville, do you remember changing some preferences on your first DBGL startup? Then that could indeed be the cause. It is fixed in this new beta build.

I'm not sure, really. Does changing the interface language or enabling downloading snapshots from MobyGames count?

As you know, I'm currently working on improving support for DOSBox forks such as ECE, Staging and -X. It is quite a tedious job, and requires a rebuild of the template/profile editor. Not only because of the dialog space required to fit all the options, but also because of performance reasons. But I'm making some progress.

Yet another thing you couldn't predict when you started this project so long ago. And I imagine builds such as DOSBox Staging adding so many changes per version doesn' help matters either. Luckily most of their usual features are already in ECE, and that build seems well supported.

Thanks for your work, answering so quickly and fixing most of the stuff I reported earlier.

Reply 1967 of 1968, by Slayer1791

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, What's up guys? This is my first time posting here. I had a question about the commands to import/convert Exodos into DBGL. Does anyone here know why I am getting this error when trying to import Exodos games/profiles into DBGL? I have the latest JDE 22. I also tried it on two separate computers, exodos databases, and got the same result.

Attachments

Reply 1968 of 1968, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is not an exodos support forum. See below for where to go for such questions:
Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline