VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1262 of 1958, by jtalbot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off great software. I had to reinstall from scratch and am running into a huge issue. New Java,.82 release of dbgl, I added about 5k games and around there now when I open the software it crashes. I see that Java Binary stops responding and I can only restart the application again. I had this running fine from my USB drive earlier but now it no longer will work once I start adding lots and lots of games.

Win10 Pro, I5, 1TB SSD, 16gb ram connected to a brand new USB 3TB drive.

Reply 1263 of 1958, by azrael4h

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an odd problem specific to two games, but not most.

The games in question are Secret Agent by Apogee, and Wizardry 6 by Sir Tech. They will load, however, irrespective of what options I select in DBGL, they will not run the actual game in a window other than the default tiny size. Both have a text mode window that loads first, which is in the larger window size. Secret Agent just says 'Decompressing graphics files" while Wizardry 6 just flashes. Those windows close, and a new tiny one opens with the game after.

DOSBox.conf has a forced scaler2x, 1280x960 windowed resolution, and when loading the games directly through the exe, they load the game windows correctly, in the larger resolution. Only when loading the games through DBGL do they not load the correct resolution for the game window.

DBGL is .82, DOSBox is .74, running in Linux Mint 18.2. All other games will load flawlessly through DBGL, at least that I've tested. These are the only two that I have that seem to load a second window with the actual game after initializing the graphics. I have tested every scaler in the options list, as well as opengl, openglnb, and overlay for the renderer. Checking the option to force scaling has no impact, as does aspect correcting or double buffering.

It's strange, as it should, even if the profile settings in DBGL were lost on the creation of the new window, use the default dosbox.conf settings, which it doesn't.

*EDIT* After testing, setting Secret Agent to svga_s3, CPU to auto, and window resolution to original, it finally forced scaling on it. This is different from every other game, where I just set a window resolution and am done, but that's fine. Leaving this up in case others have the same issue.

Reply 1264 of 1958, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jtalbot wrote:

First off great software. I had to reinstall from scratch and am running into a huge issue. New Java,.82 release of dbgl, I added about 5k games and around there now when I open the software it crashes. I see that Java Binary stops responding and I can only restart the application again. I had this running fine from my USB drive earlier but now it no longer will work once I start adding lots and lots of games.

Win10 Pro, I5, 1TB SSD, 16gb ram connected to a brand new USB 3TB drive.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing lock-ups. How did you 'add' the 5000 games, did you use the built in importer? Also, I've seen multiple USB drives behaving erratically in that they may intermittently disconnect and immediately reconnect. This will cause problems with DBGL because it wants to keep a connection to the database open at all times, resulting in a lock-up when disconnecting the drive it's stored on. So please try running DBGL on a normal hdd/sdd and check if that fixes your problem.
Finally, you can try running DBGL using dbglcons.cmd so that you will be able to see any errors (stacktraces) as they occur.

Reply 1267 of 1958, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Correct, just enable it in File->Preferences->Web Information Archives (Choose cover-art, Choose screenshots). If you set a value in the boxes 'Max. amount of cover-art images to save when multi-editing' and 'Max. amount of screen images to save when multi-editing', you can even select multiple profiles in DBGL's profile-list and have DBGL crawl and fetch them all in one go (this might take a while though).

Reply 1268 of 1958, by Damaniel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've finished setting up a Linux box running Linux Mint 19 and decided to try DBGL with my DOSbox installation. Sadly, it's not working. Here's the error messages I get:

Launching DBGL using 64-Bit VM 10.0.1 on Linux v4.15.0-20-genericamd64, HSQL Database Engine 1.8.1.3WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.dbgl.gui.Launcher (file:/home/shaunbr/bin/dbgl.jar) to method java.net.URLClassLoader.addURL(java.net.URL)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.dbgl.gui.Launcher
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: object is not an instance of declaring class
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:564)
at org.dbgl.gui.Launcher.loadSWT(Unknown Source)
at org.dbgl.gui.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/SWT
at org.dbgl.gui.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.swt.SWT
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:582)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:190)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:499)
... 1 more

I'm using the default system JRE.

Reply 1269 of 1958, by spronkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Damaniel wrote:

I've finished setting up a Linux box running Linux Mint 19 and decided to try DBGL with my DOSbox installation. Sadly, it's not working. Here's the error messages I get:
I'm using the default system JRE.

I had the same issues, but on Ubuntu 18.04. I had to do the following to get it working:

• Install older openjdk (in this case 8 instead of 10)
  • Install older libpng (12) as the included Dosbox apparently doesn't work with 16 that's included
  • Change dbgl shell script to point to older JDK instead of the default JDK

Hope this helps 😀

Reply 1270 of 1958, by Ilovetifa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Being the newbie linux user, I tried myself doing point 1 above using this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44118443/ … in-ubuntu-14-04 and did point 2 by using this https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/05/fix-lib … buntu-1804.html

But I am having trouble editing dbgl. My dbgl looks like this

#!/bin/sh
symlink=`find "$0" -printf "%l"`
cd "`dirname "${symlink:-$0}"`"
"${JAVA_HOME:-/usr}"/bin/java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar

No idea what to edit at all. Can somebody please teach me? Thank you. 😊 😊

Reply 1271 of 1958, by spronkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ilovetifa wrote:
Being the newbie linux user, I tried myself doing point 1 above using this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44118443/ … in-ub […]
Show full quote

Being the newbie linux user, I tried myself doing point 1 above using this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44118443/ … in-ubuntu-14-04 and did point 2 by using this https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/05/fix-lib … buntu-1804.html

But I am having trouble editing dbgl. My dbgl looks like this

#!/bin/sh
"${JAVA_HOME:-/usr}"/bin/java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar

No idea what to edit at all. Can somebody please teach me? Thank you. 😊 😊

This is what my dbgl file looks like now:

#!/bin/sh
export SWT_GTK3=0
#"${JAVA_HOME:-/usr}"/bin/java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar

I commented out the original line by prefixing it with # just to keep it around for reference, and then added a new line that calls the openjdk8 java bin directly. If your distro installs openjdk8 somewhere else, you'll need to figure out where its binary is, but that is the location for Ubuntu 18.04-based distros.

I also had to install the libsdl-sound1.2 and libsdl-net1.2 libraries (sudo apt intsall libsdl-sound1.2 libsdl-net1.2 openjdk-8-jre will install all you need).

Happy DBGLing!

Reply 1272 of 1958, by ANGO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have successfully imported all my games from D-Fend Reloaded.

Since yesterday I didnt receive any information about my games from Mobygames (HTTP Error 503), TheGamedDB and Pouet.net. All request are ending with errors.
I´ve tested the search with many popular games, none is working. The Websearch in a browser is working fine.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    Filename
    02.jpg
    File size
    212.76 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Error TheGamedDB
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 01.jpg
    Filename
    01.jpg
    File size
    214.29 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Error Mobygames
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1273 of 1958, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DDos protection at MobyGames, not much I can do at the moment: http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,2/dgm,241343/

Not sure what's wrong with theGamesDB, will have a look. Pouet seems to work alright for me?!

EDIT: Apparently, TheGamesDB decided to completely redo their API. I will try to incorporate the changes into a new DBGL version, but that will require time.

Reply 1276 of 1958, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

Got test build 0.82a ready with some quick improvements:
* Added support for DOSBox-0.74-2 and include that version in the DBGL Windows distribution;
* Implemented temporary workaround for TheGamesDb API changes (using their legacy api);

All the latest files
To upgrade, grab the dbgl.jar as usual.

MobyGames querying in DBGL unfortunately still does not work, if anybody knowns how to (legitimately) work around this DDOS protection using Java, I'm all ears.

regards,
Ronald

Reply 1277 of 1958, by ANGO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the update. TheGamesDB is working 😀

A small suggestion:
I have two monitors. If I klick on a screenshot, the picture is centered between both monitors. Would it be possible to view the screenshot on one monitor only?

Reply 1278 of 1958, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're welcome! Also, MobyGames seems to work again. I'll fix the issue that you mention about a multi-monitor setup in the first upcoming DBGL build.

Reply 1279 of 1958, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dynamically querying this stuff on-demand can't be the best approach. If websites keep getting huge amounts of pages scraped every time someone installs a front-end, it probably won't end well.

If the data is collected once and then distributed as a file (or multiple sets of files) which can be optionally downloaded as a front-end add-on, that might keep things sane. Like MAMEINFO.DAT / MESSINFO.DAT.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]