VOGONS

Common searches

horrible graphical glitch??

Topic actions

First post, by kleggnut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right I've been using dosbox for a while now and the only problems I've had with it before was down to compatability issues with whatever game I was trying to run (bummer yes but expected). However recently I have been experiencing graphical errors when running games thru dosbox. The game will run fine for a few minutes then all the colours will go hideously wrong (all red and green). The weirdest thing is, that it is an intermittent fault. Sometimes dosbox will work fine, sometimes it won't (doesn't matter which version I use either). Currently I have three versions of dosbox installed (0.58, 0.63 and 0.65) which i use with D-Fend v2. My system specs are:
AMD Athlon x2 3800+
ASrock dual sata 2 mobo
Powercolor radeon x1800gto
1gig corsair pc3200 ram
80gig Hitachi deskstar HDD

Please could someone help me as I miss my retro gaming and most of the other dos emulators are nowhere near as good (or as compatible with so many games) thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you run any other games on that computer besides dosbox?

Try running Doom 3 in a continuous loop. It's pretty stressfull on video hardware.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 32, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If it is a problem with one game - well, maybe the game does not work in DOSBOX...
If it happens always regardless of the game - then the problem is on your side - bad drivers/graphic card whatever...
Try to change output modes in DOSBOX.CONF: surface/ddraw/overlay etc... Maybe you have troubles only with one mode...

Mirek

Reply 7 of 32, by kleggnut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried changing all that and still the same problem. It happens on all the games I am trying to run at the mo (syndicate, eob 1+2,Dune) but as I said it only happens some of the time. None of my drivers have changed since the last time I updated them (about 2 weeks ago) and dosbox was working fine up untill 2 days ago

Reply 9 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't remember how to setup Doom 3 continuous loop so it would probably be better to download the latest 3Dmark and have that run. It's ALOT more intensive than Doom 3 anyways and should really stress your card.

Reply 13 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wait a sec....

Does the graphics corruption only occur in DosBox or does it affect the whole screen?
If you shut down dosbox then is the graphics problem gone?

Reply 14 of 32, by kleggnut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it only occurs inside dosbox. Everything else is fine all my other games run fine no graphical errors at all. Plus I don't think I need worry about stress testing my gfx card... I played oblivion the other night for 8 hours solid and no problems (and if anyone turns round and says that oblivion is not demanding i'm going to laugh in their face)

Reply 15 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oblivion isn't as demanding as people make it out to be

Athlon XP 2800+
Radeon X800
1gb RAM

Played Oblivion for 95+ hours @ 1280x1024.

Could have used AA/Ansio if I wanted to. Game played fine with some slowdowns here and there.

Okay, so it's most likely not a hardware problem. That leaves drivers/OS/and dosbox left to single out.

Reply 17 of 32, by kleggnut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK just fired up D-Fend and ran eob2. A minute or two into the game the screen corrupted, I minimized and checked how to take a screenshot with the intention of posting it, then went back into the game and the game screen was fine!!!! Dodgy or what??