VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is the (now 100% free) virtual pc 2004 workable under windows XP home? cause setup says it isn't but will let me continue... and was wandering... will it work? or will it just be to problematic?

also... why doesn't it work on winXP home but on winXP pro?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 1 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It will work fine. It's not in the requirements to work under XP Home because MS didn't want to bother to support it under XP Home.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ah ok... just curious as i don't like to use what isnt workable under my current o/s... but since i hear from a fairly reliable person that it will work i will happily install it and watch my pc die... (joking)

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 3 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow... blood runs at a much faster speed in winME on virtual pc then it dos in dosbox... lawl i cant use win 9x o/s's natively due to no drivers for my mobo under them... which is why i wanted to look at virtual pc....

works awesomly...

---
i can't find my win98 disc thus im stuck with using winME.

my website

Reply 6 of 17, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some games won't work at all, it's not only games speed but CPU instructions (I guess). Virtual PC is optimal to create an antiseptical environment (and it's great) or to use Windows on a computer with different architecture. Period

Reply 11 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

lawl it virtualizes a "soundblaster 16/awe32" soundcard and was wandering how to set the sound in dos from within windows... because blood runs so much faster in it... but yea only the music worked... not the sound fx.

i have tried... (the first set results in a crash when testing and the second group just say it fails due to a invalid irq... i have tried as many combinations as possible to get it to work. [im unsure what i set 16 dma to... either 5 or 7])

address 220
irq 5
dma 1
16 dma 5

address 220
irq 7
dma 1
16 dma 5

my website

Reply 12 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok, in milo the fuel run it auto detects it and says it exists but it says playback isnt available.

it lists my IRQ as 255... any fix for this?

my website

Reply 13 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, VPC doesn't support ACPI so there's no way you can have any IRQ that high in VPC....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yea, 255 to me is a max value so i was also thinking it wasn't detected... how does one go about having a IRQ in VPC? (I've been trying the set blaster command by putting it in autoexec.bat)

my website

Reply 16 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Don't know if having no IRQ assigned to the sb is the actual reason,
maybe you can try several different sb detection routines (of different
games for example) to see if one of them detects an irq/sb.

The BLASTER environment is just a hint at programs what the current
settings are (if they are working).

Reply 17 of 17, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

will do... ill get blake stone as that has a nice program 😀

🙁 none of the blake stone exe files work... ill figure something out.

my website