VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I notice DOSBox.conf file has a

[ipx]
# ipx -- Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=true

setting. Does this emulate a fake IPX protocol, or does it really let users play DOSBox games network over the internet? For example, am wanting to play:

- Syndicate Wars
- Blood
- Carmageddon
- Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn

which are all old DOS games and multiplayer was IPX LAN based only. If we used http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/ Gamer's Internet Tunnel combined with DOSBox, would that work? Or will GIT not pick up the emulated IPX packets?

Please sign the Blood source code release petition

Reply 2 of 6, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I created this post and forgot to mention that am looking for people to try it with. To try this query requires another person over the internet.

Reply 4 of 6, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own 1 PC. Even if I did have a LAN I definitely know these old DOS games will work coz they use IPX and IPX works on LAN only. I am only interested in getting these old DOS games that use IPX LAN communications to work over internet. Hence why I need someone to help me test out GIT.

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can network DosBox on 1 PC without a network using localhost. If they work over localhost then the only difference you'll see between localhost and internet is routing and latency issues.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 6, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Does this emulate a fake IPX protocol, or does it really let users play DOSBox games network over the internet?

Dosbox produces UDP packets and that's why games can be played on the Internet as well as on LAN without additional software (well you may want some program to chat with your opponent). Servers behind a router need packets forwarded on a specific port.

To try this query requires another person over the internet.

You can start multiple Dosbox instances on one computer and use 'localhost' as the internet address.