VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by presto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have a Mac G4 PowerPC with a 733 MHz processor and DOSBox version 0.65 installed on it. I installed Windows 3.1 in DOSBox as in here:

Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

and the Soundblaster 16 drivers for Win 3.1 as in here:

Topic 9600

Both installations seemed to proceed well, and now I have Windows 3.1 running at 640x480 resolution and 16 colors (as I get problems worked out, I'll then try to get higher resolutions and more colors). One of my ultimate aims here is to try to run a version of Sim City that one of my sons has laying around, which can run on Win 3.1.

However, my big problem thus far is rough sound. Both MIDI and audio sound in Win 31 on DOSBox are incredibly choppy; also, MIDI is very slow. I am mostly running DOSBox at the default CPU cycles=3000 setting, but have tried different numbers: raising the CPU cycle rate (up to 12000) makes both audio and MIDI even choppier, and also further slows MIDI. Lowering the cycle rate (down to 400) improves both audio and MIDI, but only slightly; also, Windows 3.1 then gets too slow to run.

I also tried setting rate=11025 and oplrate=11025, but that did nothing.

Is there anything else I can tweak?

Reply 1 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

733MHz is pretty low for dosbox. Also, there is no dynamic core for PowerPC...so only normal, which is a lot slower is available.
I think your Mac simply does not have the power to run win 3.1 in dosbox.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 3 of 12, by presto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You could be right. Oh, well. However, I've just installed an old Windows game called Multimedia Pool on my Mac/DOSBox/Win 3.1, and it works just great. I think I'll start hunting down more of those old games I remember. This could be addicting . . .

Reply 4 of 12, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

try out a recent cvs-build or compile the newest sources xourself. dosbox win 3.1 support has improved a lot again since version 0.65 .

It's really not difficult to compile the sources even if you're not a programmer (just like me, I also managed to do it using gcc)

Reply 5 of 12, by presto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm not a programmer either, but I would love to try compiling a recent CVS build of DOSBox. (By the way, I am now running Sim Farm and Sim Ant on Win 3.1 on the binary DOSBox 0.65 in VGA resolution and they both run well except for the choppy sound.)

In addition to trying the DOSBox 0.65 binary, I have also tried compiling DOSBox through Fink on OS X 10.4, but the DOSBox that I ended up with from Fink seems to be the same as the binary I already had.

So, although I'm not a complete dummy, I'd appreciate if you could give me a tip or two on how to compile the latest CVS build on the Mac using GCC.

Also, which CVS build should I try (from the following link, I suppose)?

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=61489

My primary concern is with increased speed. A secondary plus with be the ability to go from VGA to SVGA without problems, but speed is foremost.

Reply 6 of 12, by presto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, my son will be helping me with the compiling on gcc, but my second question still stands: which recent CVS build of DOSBox is best for increased speed on Mac OS X? (Dynamic core would be good, perhaps?)

Reply 7 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no dynamic core for PPC. If you had a new Intel Mac then you could use dynamic core.

Again, if your that concerned about speed then use another emulator.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 12, by presto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not concern as much as just having fun twiddling around with DOSBox--which is much more interesting to me than Microsoft Virtual PC, which I also have on my Mac (and which is a big, monolithic piece of slow hardware that can't handle MIDI at all while DOSBox does MIDI pretty well when I slow the cycles down). I also find DOSBox more interesting than the other DOS emulators I could use, because DOSBox keeps files on my computer in the standard way, rather than in a disk image. That's really cool.

So I admit it's not practical, but for the fun of it I'd like to try compiling a really recent version of DOSBox just to see if there's any difference. So maybe I'll just try something. Thanks for filling me in on the dynamic core thing.

Reply 10 of 12, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm no expert, for example I do not no much about the macOS filesystem. In linux, however, this adds up to a little howto:

1. Download the newest dosbox sources
2. Make sure you have gcc installed
3. Unpack the dosbox sources into any directory, preferably into your home directory.
4. Change into this directory
5. Type "./configure" (for peparation of the sources and to check if you have all necessary libreraries installed)
6. Type "make" (Now the source code is compiled)
7. Log in as the root user
8. Type "make install" (actual install procedure, must be executed by the root user)
9. done !!!

I do not know, though, if this procedure will work for the MAC as well ... .

Reply 11 of 12, by presto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, your instructions were right on the mark--I was able to compile DOSBox on my Mac. Thanks. The resulting DOSBox wasn't any faster, but had at least one improvement--it allowed me to install Win32s (an enhancement that allows the occasional 32-bit program to work on Win31).

By the way, I've also installed Windows 3.1 on Virtual PC for Mac, and it does seem to be faster than DOSBox--in some cases too fast, and I can't control the speed. While the audio sounds good in VPC, the MIDI is horrible.

MIDI is much better in DOSBox. In fact, I just installed an old MIDI sequencer on Win31/DOSBOx for the heck of it and it works pretty well (MIDI input is via the mouse, not a MIDI instrument).

Reply 12 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, there's a MIDI software synth that people would use for MIDI in VPC using Windows 9x but I can't remember what it was called.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline