VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by boom_boom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get Magic Carpet 2 to run since yesterday and just now found dos box's games list, where someone had commented about increasing the CPU cycles to 80000. I tried it and magic carpet 2 runs fine, even at high res. But my CPU performance is at 100% and dos box's help sections says increasing CPU cycles is bad. What should I do?

My pc is an Athlon 64 3000+ with a gig of RAM.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 13, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it cant make your processor work harder then its capable of, so if you do encounter a dead cpu then its most likely from insufficient cooling for it or something.

increasing cpu cycles above what your cpu can handle only has a negative effect on the performance of dosbox.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 2 of 13, by boom_boom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I've just had 10 minutes on magic carpet 2. My starting temp was about 30c and when I finished the session the CPU was around 75c. I'd say that was very hot and not really worth stressing my CPU for a single game. Shame really as MC2 looked really good.

Reply 4 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you have cool n' quite power management running on your machine. 75 sounds about right for that processor when it's being stressed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 13, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boom_boom wrote:

Well I've just had 10 minutes on magic carpet 2. My starting temp was about 30c and when I finished the session the CPU was around 75c. I'd say that was very hot and not really worth stressing my CPU for a single game. Shame really as MC2 looked really good.

Dear Lord that's running hot for an Athlon 64! Idles at 30c (C&Q) and maxes out at 75c. 😳 I have a middle-of-the-road 'notoriously hot' running Pentium 4 model 640 HT (3.2GHz) with 2GB RAM. It idles at 50c and under full load it hits 65c with the stock Intel cooling fan. This is in a 71f (21.6c) room.

I ran a few NTVDMs to max out the Intel hyperthreading core for about 15 minutes to really heat things up. I don't go above 65c under any load. You may need to check your CPU fan/heatsink/thermal material. Your Athlon should run much cooler than the Pentium 4...

Attached is a screen-shot of my P4 system under load after 15 minutes...

dvwjr

Attachments

• Filename
    P4Temp.jpg
    File size
    459.53 KiB
    Downloads
    131 downloads
    File comment
    Pentium 4 640 (HT) under max load for 15 minutes.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 13, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boom_boom wrote:

Well I've just had 10 minutes on magic carpet 2. My starting temp was about 30c and when I finished the session the CPU was around 75c.

That isn't the fault of DOSBox. It will happen with any CPU intense program (like any game out there)

You should, however, get better cooling for your CPU. 75°C is a bit high. I have a 3500+ and never go above 52°C during max workload. And this with the default bad cooling.

Last edited by Freddo on 2006-12-08, 13:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 13, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed - you should always stress test your CPU when you buy or build a new computer. In some (rare) cases, the cooling is not enough and may damage or shut down your system - in other (less rare) cases, after time, cooling starts to deteriorate - dust in the fans, bad airflow in the case because of dust or extra hardware/cables blocking air. 75°C is definately too high. I get 38°C stressed on my Conroe E6600 - that's half that!

Reply 8 of 13, by boom_boom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to put the game on the shelf for a bit, its was only £2 off ebay anyway.

My computer is 1 1/2 years old and there is a bit of dust in the case, nothing major, so heat sink could need resetting and some thermal paste being re-applied. I was thinking about getting a new fan for it, but I don't feel its worth shelling out £25 just to play MC2, however great it is.

Cheers all.

Reply 9 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

uhhh, the problem is not MC2. Run your processor monitoring program while you perform other CPU intensive activities.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 13, by Enigmar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

use some compressed air to clean out the dust in your computer.
After 6 months of dust buildup with a Pentium 4, I was idling at 52C and reaching 67C at full load.
After dusting its now 41C idle and 53C under load.

This is with the stock cooler but quality thermal paste in a 22C environment.

Must run dosbox on windows 3.1 within dosbox......