VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by baqs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have very slow, and old computer (Pentium MMX 166 mHz, 64 MB RAM, s3virge graphic card). I also like a very old dos game "Polanie I". It's system requierments is very low, and dosbox aupporst it, but for me it still works worse then under DOS. I have it's source code, and this creates an idea in my mind. I want to recompile it udner linux to not need emutale it. I dont want rewrite evry it's call to a dos library, beacouse it's a lot of work, and it's boring. And the idea is to copy some headers from dosbox, change it a little, and include to the source code of "polanie" instead of original dos libraries.

What do you think about this idea? Is it possible? And how to do it 😀 ?

Reply 1 of 3, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try Dosemu before? As it only virualizes the CPU, it might be the right thing for you. Recompliling sounds difficult to me, as there might be too many functions rather hardcoded than implemented in libraries.

Reply 2 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you insist on using an old computer then why not install MS-DOS on that computer?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 3, by baqs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you insist on using an old computer then why not install MS-DOS on that computer?

Beacouse i'm a programmer and i need linux. I'm also lerning a selinux security system, and it won't work under DOS 😀

Did you try Dosemu before? As it only virualizes the CPU, it might be the right thing for you. Recompliling sounds difficult to me, as there might be too many functions rather hardcoded than implemented in libraries.

I havn't tried dosemu yet. The recompiling souds won't be difficult, beacouse i could only rewrite the header in game which do all that sounds (hmm... i'm not sure, but it can be only system-beeper sounds 😜 ). I'll check the dosemu sourcecode and documentation to see is it possible or not.