VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Judgementand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Up until 6 months ago DOSBOX worked great on my PC. Reformatted computer and just installed it again yesterday and it runs like absolute crap. I'm using D-Fend (but results are same with just dosbox.exe) and when I start a game it sits at the dos box that says "CONFIG:Loading Settings from config file" and then has the path to my .conf file. That window sits there for around 30 seconds before the actual DOSBOX window opens, and then that window remains blank for another 30 seconds. During both periods the computer is for all intense and purposes "LOCKED UP". The mouse stops moving, the clock stops, and nothing is responsive. Once the game actually starts the emulator works fine but if I try to switch out of it (either ALT+TAB or just clicking on another window) it hangs for about the same length of time. When I close (either clicking on X or CTRL+F9) it hangs for about 10 seconds. The weird thing is last night I went to change my Windowblinds skin and it locked up Explorer (which it recovered but to a certain degree) and from that point until I restarted DOSBOX worked perfectly fine. Also it works 100% fine on my laptop.

PLZ PLZ PLZ HELP ME I really want to play my old games again 🤣 I've had a craving.

System Setup:
3.2Ghz P4E (1 physical processor - 2 logical)
P4C800-E Mobo
2ghz RAM
more than enough HDD space
ATi Radeon X800 XT 256mb vid card
Soundblaster Audigy 2 soundcard
Viewsonic VX2235WM (22" Widescreen) monitor (just trying to eliminate possibilities)
Logitech G-15 Keyboard (with LCD)
Microsoft Habu Gaming Mouse

That's about it. PLEASE help guys I'm desperate!

EDIT: Also I've tried both version 0.65 and 0.63 for compatibility issues with D-Fend. Both do the same. The weird thing is when the computer F'd up last night...when I went to start a game it only opened 1 DOSBOX window not the 2 like usual (when it hangs all the time). Also as far as Windowblinds I have all DOSBOX and D-Fend and CMD windows un-skinned completely so it's not a skinning issue. I've ever unloaded Windowblinds and still doesn't work.

EDIT2: Ok so I just thought about starting ScummVM (the emulator for SCUMM games) and it does the exact same thing. This is strange 🤣

Reply 3 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never tried DosBox with Windowsblinds before but that could be the culprit. I'd boot Windows in safemode and see if DosBox works fine there. If so then it's a video driver issue or some other software application like Windowsblinds that's causing the problem.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 20, by Judgementand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I know it's not Windowblinds because I've unloaded it (there's actually a command to just unload so it doesn't uninstall just unloads from the memory and system startup and all) and DOSBOX/ScummVM still do it. Apparently there are new drivers that came out less than a month ago for my Vid card I'll try those out now and report back. I REALLY want to get this fixed 🤣 I'm playin Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders on my laptop atm =D

Reply 5 of 20, by Judgementand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh my gosh by golly (it's time for mistletoe and holly)! Changed drivers to 6.12 (was at 6.14 beta drivers) and it works fine. Haven't gone back to see how WoW/FEAR/HL2 work now but at least DOSBOX is workin great =) thanks guys

Reply 6 of 20, by Judgementand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

now if I could remember the keyboard command to turn on the mouse movement in Zak McKracken 🤣...It was something stupid and I lost my manuals (which sucks cuz the VISAs are in there too...I have Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Maniac Mansion, Loom, and Zak McKracken on disc 🤣)

Reply 8 of 20, by Judgementand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FREAKING crying out loud.

Turned off my computer around 3 (was working perfectly). Just got home...went to boot up a little Duke Nukem 3D. Doing it again.

Running 6.12 drivers (newest on Ati's site) and it's doing it once more. I'd love some official input about a possible reason this is happening. It's utterly ridiculous since it was working PERFECTLY once when the system F'd up, and once after reinstalling drivers. PLZ I need help here

EDIT: By the way I've tried other games it's not just duke nukem (multiple SCUMM games, few older kings quest and such)

Reply 11 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No need to bump here. If no one knows the answer then they won't reply.
*But* if it worked fine when you changed the drivers and it suddenly stopped working again, I don't think it's an issue with Dosbox. You *could* try the different outputs in dosbox.conf to see which one gives you problems.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 20, by Judgementand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

but the thing is sometimes when I start it works completely fine (just now tried and it works great). Other times it hangs for 30-40 seconds whenever I start it, switch to/from it and another program, and close it. it's strange but there has to be a way to fix it. I thought maybe background programs but I closed pretty much everything yesterday and it still did it

Reply 13 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Again, this is clearly not a dosbox problem but a problem with your computer and whatever program runs in the background. Dosbox just isn't that kind of program that sometimes runs like this and other times like that. If nothing changes on the computer dosbox always runs the same.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 20, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

erm why is a guy who posted here in 2007 saying he's using nvidia 6x.xx drivers? theres far newer drivers availible

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 16 of 20, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check Task Manager for any processes that run at 99% of CPU time. I have at least two items on my system that do that on occasions -- PlexTools and Microtek Scanner Finder, both are safe to kill and restart. There is also that mysterious behavior on ATI drivers that VirtualPC control panel can slow down OpenGL rendering in other apps by two orders of magnitude.
Also run some antivirus and Ad-Aware, never hurts.

Reply 17 of 20, by Judgementand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been working fine now a few days. using Norton and nothing uses 99% resources except System Idle (which is normal). It has nothing to do with just my computer being slow. It's the way my computer interacts with DOSBOX only.

Reply 18 of 20, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not your computer being slow, but most likely some background process and/or driver interfering with DOSBox.

The strange lag your experiencing is absolutely uncommon, I don't remember anyone here ever reporting that kind of problem.

You're not using any exotic hardware, so next time it happens you should try and kill any background app until DOSBox works properly to find out who's the culprit.

What about your Soundblaster drivers? I had some very strange problems with my SB Audigy Player card some time ago that could be solved with newer drivers.

Reply 19 of 20, by Judgementand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I just reformatted my computer (tried cloning my C drive to a 320gb drive that I wanted to use as my main...and the cloning went very badly and messed up many system files so that Windows was usable, but video drivers went poof and couldn't be reinstalled, some audio drivers, few random drivers like monitor and keyboard, some other junk) and this time i'm not using norton 🤣 NOD32 all the way (same that I use on my laptop). Was working perfectly past few days, but now it'll be on a new install so should work great