VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Stomp357

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was looking at the supported features of DOSBox, and see it only supports a single 2 button stick. I bought me an Xbox Arcade stick, and an Xbox to USB adaptor to play emulator games. Alot of the DOS games I want to play need at least 4 buttons. If I use a program like Joy2Key that maps keyboard, and mouse commands to joysticks, would it allow me use all the buttons on my joystick with DOSBox?

Reply 2 of 5, by Stomp357

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was looking at the D-Fend website, and seen it referenced Joy2Key for using joysticks with DOSBox. I now have my arcade stick working with all it's buttons mapped to keys. Now I can play games like Duke Nukem 1, & 2, and the Commander Keen games, but so far, every fight game that I have tried (OMF 2097, MK 1, 2, & Trilogy, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, & FX Fighter) run like I'm using a 386 system.
Back when I was using an old Athlon XP 1900+ with 512MB, and a GF3 Ti200, I tried DOSBox. It ran most games slowly, and because it had no joystick support, and I didn't know about Joy2Key, I gave up on it. Now I have an Athlon64 3800+ with 2GB RAM, and a 7600GT videocard. I figured it would be beefy enough to run most games smoothly, but it can't. When will our hardware finally be powerful enough to run games smoothly under DOSBox?

Reply 3 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

did you set cycles to auto in dosbox.conf AND core=dynamic?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When will our hardware finally be powerful enough to run games smoothly under DOSBox?

When people figure out how to configure DosBox correctly.
or
When people stop buying ancient processors.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline