VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by shadow9d9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I understand how to run dosbox with a game and how to separately run vdms with a game but how do you activate vdms sound once dosbox is loaded? Thanks...

Also, when alt-enter to make it full screen, is there a way to center the screen? Also, is there a way to slow down the music, but not the actual game? Thanks again!

Reply 3 of 5, by shadow9d9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I see, vdms is already in dosbox.. how bout my second question?

With dosbox:
Is there a way to slow down the music, but not the actual game? Thanks again! The music is superfast in some games. Control f11 slows down the game but not the sound.. what would slow the sound?

The game I am testing with is Kyrandia 2.

Reply 4 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NTVDM is the virtualization layer Windows 2000/XP (not XP64/Vista) uses to poorly emulate DOS at native speed without accessing your hardware directly. DOSbox does not have VDMsound (especially since it's a DOS emulator itself, no external tools would be required).

As far as I know, there's no sound-specific slowdown.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 5, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Q&A added to the new FAQ.

For the slowdown problem you might want to try to fiddle around with the rate values in the conf file. Set them all to the same value, or you might get very strange sounds. I would suggest cranking them up. 22050 -> 44100

There are also reported problems with some soundcards acting up with some DirectX's, playing sounds at double there rate. I had this once with Tomb Raider Dark Angel, all sounds where "hyperactive". To fix this I had to lower the hardware accelleration of my soundcard to softwaremode. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236396# for more info on subject hardware accelleration.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc