VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Garinder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an Edirol UM-3EX USB MIDI interface to get my Roland MT-32 and Roland SC-55mkII working in DOSBox with my old computer games. Everything works great in Windows XP: I can switch between the MT-32 and SC-55 in the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties under MIDI Music Playback or just use "mixer /listmidi" and then "config=#" in DOSBox.conf. My question is, will at least one of these methods still work in Windows Vista x64?

I see that Roland offers Vista x64 drivers for the UM-3EX at http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dl … dsp=0&iCncd=840, but I have heard that the audio stack is radically changed in Vista and am worried that the MT-32 and SC-55 will no longer work, even with the UM-3EX, because there will not be anywhere in Vista to select a default MIDI device. The readme on Roland's Vista x64 driver seems to say that MIDI won't work with Windows Media Player: "In the Windows Media Player, the MIDI input/output device of UM-3 cannot be used. Please select the following device in your MIDI compatible application." Since DOSBox uses the default MIDI playback device just as WMP does (I think), is there going to be a problem with DOSBox too? Will I be able to get around this problem by using "mixer /listmidi" and "config=#", or will that be broken in Vista too?

Reply 1 of 4, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Audio stack != MIDI stack
Don't know. As they removed hardware acceleration for DirectSound3D from Vista, they seem to be capable of screwing MIDI as well (hope not).

Win32 MIDI API should be supported though. In dosbox you can still adjust "config" to select your output device even without control panel, and although I can't tell if this will work in VIsta (as I didn't test it), I see no reason why it shouldn't.

Reply 2 of 4, by Nil Einne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can confirm that with Vista x64 and my X-Fi, I can select the MIDI output device with the config option and it works. Unfortunately Creative don't yet appear to have any way to load soundfonts in Vista 🙁