VOGONS

Common searches

Dosbox 0.70 is out!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 88, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want a simple method to get indycar 2 running. That long method to get indycar 2 running is confusing. I use the default extraction program that came with xp and not 7zip and i can run the game without dosbox but not with dosbox
http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?image=strike000er2.png

http://img486.imageshack.us/my.php?image=strike001ly6.png

Some pictures of strikebase running in dosbox.

Reply 41 of 88, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

er, where do you run that uh bat file from minimax?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 42 of 88, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
franpa wrote:

er, where do you run that uh bat file from minimax?

From whatever directory you have the indycar2.zip file. I have mine in My Documents\DOSBox\OldGames\IndyCar Racing Demo\indycar2.zip.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 43 of 88, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ah so he just copies that info into a text file, change its extension to .bat, place the .bat file along side the games zip which should be named indycar2.zip, then execute the bat file ?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 44 of 88, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yes. But appearently very confusing to some. Or one could just read the script, look at the comments, open a CMD or COMMAND window, and execute the commands manually.

The script relies on an Zip-program called 7-Zip to do the unzipping. If he doesn't have that, he must find some other way to unzip the indycar2.zip file into the Unzipped directory.

Reply 45 of 88, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, for those interested, I finally got both "Indycar Racing II" and "Nascar Racing 2" working with latest DBGL (v0.55). These games worked from the DOSBox prompt but not through DBGL until I learned what's wrong with them.

See, when you enter the executable path on DBGL, it mounts that folder as C:\ unless you tweak it. Those games DON'T LIKE THAT.

So, after you've entered the path to the executables in the MOUNTING tab, you'll get something like this:

Mount C: C:\Abandon\NR2

Which needs to be edited and changed to:

Mount C: C:\Abandon\

Then the game assumes it's installed in C:\NR2 and works fine.

As simple as that, it's no bug, just a silly mounting issue.

Reply 46 of 88, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well the general solution is to install the game within dosbox and keep
the mounting. But no idea if DBGL supports that. Maybe some installation
guiding would be needed in the frontends for that.

Reply 47 of 88, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yep - it is a problem with most (all?) front-ends.

My work-around is to always create an OldGames\GameName\C-drive directory for the game before installing it, and inside the C-drive directory, create a dummy BAT-file called FRONTEND.BAT.

In its first incarnation it simply reads:

FRONTEND.BAT wrote:

@ver

Mount the drives, uncheck any Exit-DOSBox-After-Run option in the frontend, and start the game.

The frontend will call FRONTEND.BAT, that will print out the current DOSBox version and leave you at the C:\ prompt.

Install the game, make a note of what the installer says about how to launch the game, and put those commands in FRONTEND.BAT, e.g.:

FRONTEND.BAT wrote:

cd IRC2
IndyCar.Exe

After some testing you can then put the Exit-When-Done checkmark back for a clean exit.

Reply 51 of 88, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More testing! Tonight I installed Windows 3.11 + some other Windows stuff.

The install method was simple, I mounted both an empty folder as C: and a folder containing the Windows installation files plus the other stuff I tried as D:

Here are my impressions:

Windows 3.11 --> Works flawlessly, even with EMS enabled. The install process was way faster than in 0.65, and even faster than in a real Pentium machine.

Excel 5 --> I kept expecting an error message (it complained of lacking SHARE.EXE installed in previous versions), but works fine as well.

krnl386001np6.th.png krnl386002rs3.th.png

Lotus AmiPro 3 --> Fine. This was my favourite word processor in the old days and it's still worth a look.

Video for Windows 1.1 --> No problem, I just need some aVI to test it properly.

WinG --> Flawless.

Win32s --> This one DOES complain of missing SHARE.EXE, but installation can be resumed anyway, and the only Win32 application I do have, Freecell, works fine.

SB16 drivers: Didn't try, I settled with the Soundblaster 1.5 drivers that come with Windows.

S3 drivers: I didn't test the different res. in depth, but I settled with 640x480 with 16,7 million colours.

Here's my current desktop:

krnl386004lt9.th.png

Reply 52 of 88, by PictureThis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you devs for all the hard work!! I'm running the latest version on both WinXP and OSX and even on my MacBook's crippled GMA 950 chip gameplay is lightning fast.😁 I took DOOM2 for a spin and the only problem I came across is to find a way to circum strafe with only keyboard as controller type! 😉

@Neville: Nice, those pics look sweet. I'm planning on installing Win3.11 as well. I remember I had the hardest time getting more than 16 colors 800x600 resolution after a regular Win3.11 install on a modern machine. (Pentium III and up) Let's see what DOSBox can do.🙄

Reply 53 of 88, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More testing: Today I tried the entire "Screamer" series, pluanother personal favourite, Europress' "Rally Championship":

- Screamer I: Didn't work, but I think it's my copy of the game which is wrong.

- Screamer II: Works great, even in SVGA mode.

- Screamer Rally: Woorks great, even in SVGA mode, although it could be a little faster. I have to try tweaking the detail options, though.

- Rally Championship: Works as well as in its old days. This one has always been a favourite, it combines NASCAR Racing-esque attention to vehicle configuration with an engine similar to the first NFS games. It also has a wide variety of circuits and game modes, including 5 (!) arcade modes.

dos4gw000gx1.th.png dos4gw001mw9.th.png

But I'm afraid I've found some serious trouble with v0.70: Some sound setup programs don't seem to like it. With both "Indycar Racing" and "Rally Championship" I've had to configure the sound drivers through VDMS. The programs seem work at first, but then they behave as if I was stepping on the keyboard, moving the menus too fast to select anything properly. I've tried setting cycles to 3000 manually, but the problem persists, and since I've had no problem setting the sound drivers in previous versions of DOSBox, I assume it's a bug introduced in v0.70.

Reply 54 of 88, by Marauder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😀

I can't believe the speed boost. Duke Nukem 3D in 800x600->Works great.
Strike Commander used to be too slow and the MT-32 music slowed down a lot. Both of these problems are gone. You should have called it Dosbox 1.00

😀

Reply 55 of 88, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forgot to mention, I finally solved my issues with "Screamer". Had nothing to do with DOSBox, just a badly ripped copy. It works as well, if not better, than in a real Pentium with DOS:

starth001ow3.th.png starth000uv1.th.png

starth002xr1.th.png starth003ua0.th.png

It may not be the best racing game ever, but how can yo refuse speed, eye candy and Ridge Recer-ish gameplay? I can't.

Reply 56 of 88, by ktulu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to say thanx to the DOSBox dev team for making such a great improvement in DOSBox 0.70! I've tried Blood, Redneck Rampage, Fade to Black, Tomb Raider and Quake in 640x480 resolutions and they work great!
I'm especially happy that build engine games are fully playable now 😁. Great work!

That is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie,
And With Strange Aeons, Even Death May Die.

Reply 57 of 88, by Malor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is an amazing release, guys. MDK runs smooth as glass at a virtual 133Mhz. The program's internal benchmark claims DOSBox at 133Mhz is slightly faster than a PPro 200.

Do you have any method of taking donations?