Common searches

Please provide Linux x86 binaries

Topic actions

First post, by FenixNBK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi all !

I would like to ask you to provide our community with Cross-Distro x86 Linux binaries of DOSBox.

Reply 1 of 26, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yo can easily compile one.

I have attached my self-compiled dosbox 0.70 binary (I use opensuse 10.2, but hopefully it works for you, too)

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.tar.gz
    File size
    2.49 MiB
    Downloads
    467 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 3 of 26, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the distro's maintainers build these packages themselves. But this may take some time. SUSE is especially slow if it comes to update packages.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 4 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
valnar wrote:

Does anyone know who is in charge of the Debian and Ubuntu binaries?

Robert

You are 😁

Seriously - you could make a name of yourself if you wanted to, by stepping forward and volunteer to become the maintainer/builder of either version.

I don't know the exact procedure for doing it, but basically it is about getting the right version of SDL for you system, download the official sources, type configure & make, and you have a working distro.

Then you can start tweaking with compiler options, learn how to produce a redistributable package, and notify Qbix.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

Reply 6 of 26, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, not me! I'm not a dev.... and somebody must be in charge of it or there wouldn't be a choice in APT to download it. I just want to make that person aware there is a new 0.70, if he/she isn't already.

-Robert

Reply 7 of 26, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i'm in charge of the debian packages.
I'll make an updated one after one or two weeks. Now taking a break.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 12 of 26, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bugmenot wrote:

Please make the packages or pass on the responsibility to another DOSBox or Debian developer. It's a pity that 0.70 didn't make it into Ubuntu 7.04 (or Debian 4.0).

Man, maybe I am just reading this wrong, but this is quite the attitude. Maybe Qbix is waiting to make sure .70 is as stable as he wants before committing it. Maybe there was some upstream goofiness we don't know about that prevented it day and date with the source code release. Maybe he just hasn't gotten around to it.

Maybe it's bonehead easy to download the source tarball and ./configure ;make.

Just sayin.

-Frob

Reply 13 of 26, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I haven't got around to it and it compiles straight out of the box and I need to find a (new) sponsor. (to get it uploaded in the archive you need a sponsor ( a debian dev that checks my package))

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
frobme wrote:

Man, maybe I am just reading this wrong, but this is quite the attitude.

He did say "please" 😀

<personal opinion="on">
If - as Qbix says - DOSBox 0.70 compiles out of the box on Debian, then it really should be up to the Debian people to provide it as part of their distribution. Only if some special magic is required, should the application maintaners be required to provide ports to specific distributions.
</personal>

Reply 15 of 26, by bugmenot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was trying to make a polite request, sorry for any irritations. 😀

When I said "pity", I also didn't just mean "pity for me" but also "pity for DOSBox and users of Debian/Ubuntu who don't know about or who don't read forums". However I did not know how exactly packages find their way into these distros - so thanks for the information, Qbix. I see your point now and understand why it is difficult to provide the new version there.

Reply 16 of 26, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bugmenot wrote:

I was trying to make a polite request, sorry for any irritations. 😀

When I said "pity", I also didn't just mean "pity for me" but also "pity for DOSBox and users of Debian/Ubuntu who don't know about or who don't read forums". However I did not know how exactly packages find their way into these distros - so thanks for the information, Qbix. I see your point now and understand why it is difficult to provide the new version there.

Ok, point taken then. Sorry but it sounded at the time like you were coming at it from a different direction.

I guess it's second nature to me on Linux to pretty much compile what I want; distros are so slow to catch up to what's current it's not good enough for me on non-vital components like Dosbox to wait, I just sourceball and build.

-Frob

Reply 17 of 26, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe for DOSBox to get the best exposure, it should be compiled for the top major 4 or 5 distros out there, so that at least the current version is searchable in their respective repositories. I realize the politics of Debian (and thus Ubuntu) may be a bear, but there must be some avenue to pursue. They've got thousands of apps already! How hard could it be?

-Robert

Reply 18 of 26, by Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I run Debian here at home, and I do tend to produce my own binaries for new/CVS releases separately for speed/flexibility reasons. Dosbox does compile easily on Debian, so it's not really much of an inconvenience. To be honest, Dosbox is even easy to package with checkinstall for ease of installation, so that's all good 😀