VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by XE800

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I downloaded DOSBox v0.70. I tried it out a bit before going to bed, and it seemed to be working well. For instance, I always get a sound stutter at the beginning of the Albion intro, but not so with 0.70. Great! And the 3D section of that particular game seemed somewhat smoother, too.

But now, DOSBox doesn't work well at all. The emulation stutters (tried several games, happens with all). I thought perhaps it had to do with sound, but I get the stuttering (a slight pause every two seconds) even with sound disabled.

I have made no changes to my system at all, other than installing the DBGLse frontend, and the latest Java which it required. I have also been moving the DOS games, frontend and DOSbox between partitions, but always made sure the paths are correct. And I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything (to main partition, in case that matters) just to be sure.

I have tried changing the amount of cycles, and most other options, via the DBGLse frontend, but to no avail.

I have tried removing all unnecessary processes, cleaning the registry, shutting down the internet connection, closing down the virus protection... but nothing helps!

I have no problems with v0.65, though.

My system is:

Windows XP (all updates)
Direct9.0c
Abit SA7 mainboard (latest drivers)
P4 2.0 Ghz
GForce4 Ti4600 (Forceware 91.31)
1 GB memory
40 + 80 GB Harddisk
SB Live! 512 (latest drivers)

Last edited by XE800 on 2007-03-07, 19:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Try different output= settings in dosbox.conf. Check the processor usage
in the task manager when running some heavy game (duke3d or something).
Does it work better if sound is disabled?

Reply 4 of 12, by XE800

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried them all, makes no difference.

But! Mystery is now solved! The cause of the problem was the USB joystick and joypad, which I forgot I had plugged in after the first attempt on 0.70. Removing them made everything go smooth again.

I have no problem with joypad/joystick in my SNES/PSX/Amiga emulators, or in modern PC games, so I guess it must be a DOSBox issue.

Reply 6 of 12, by XE800

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

They are both USB, yes. I have two USB slots available, and when using the Tesun joypad in one particular slot, I get problems. Change to the other and all is fine. The Competition Pro joystick can be in any slot without causing trouble, and I can use both at the same time as long as the Tesun avoids that certain one.

Reply 7 of 12, by Fiasco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Thrustmaster Firestorm Analog 3 Gamepad (USB) is causing the exact same problems. If it's plugged in, the performance is decreasing dramatically.

The 20070225-Release (0.66RC3) by ykhwong seemed to worked without any speed issues.

Reply 9 of 12, by Fiasco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Changing the core and/or fixing the cycles doesn't help. It's still slow as hell, if the gamepad is connected - even at the dos prompt !!

I simply didn't test other clean builds, because of ykhwong's cvs was the only post-0.65 build I've used so far. And short after I downloaded it, 0.70 was released.

system specs:
Clawhammer 3000+
Gigabyte K8NS (NForce3 250)
GeForce 6800
Audigy
WinXP SP2

edit:
I tested 3 different builds(01.02, 25.02. and 08.03.) available at http://builds.tharos-online.de, but all of them offer bad performance.

Reply 10 of 12, by Fiasco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My 0.70-DOSBOX is running at normal speed again. 😎

I finally was able to find out what was causing my slowdown problems. Some weeks ago I connected my old Suncom F-15 flightstick via gameport and had to add it manually to the gamecontroller list. After unplugging it, the joystick stayed on the controller-list with the comment "not connected". But when DOSBOX starts it reports this joystick (ykhwong's release doesn't !). So I deleted the joystick from the list and now the problem is gone! The only confusing thing about it is, that the slowdown-problem only appeared, when a "second" gamecontroller was connected - the USB-gamepad...

Reply 12 of 12, by Fiasco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Exactly. The old Flighstick is not attached to the gameport, but still in the gamecontroller-list in windows, and both controllers are shown in the console window in dosbox. But if the gamepad isn't connected (the flightstick is still in the controller-list marked "inactive") dosbox doesn't recognize the flightstick and runs with normal speed.