VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lucern

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

I've run several searches to no avail on this one.

I was playing old favorites and getting screenshots for a screensaver in the process. It worked without a hitch through Darklands, Betrayal at Krondor, Conquest of the Longbow, Pool of Radiance, etc. I just finished my way through Quest for Glory 2, and went to check on some images. The last shot was a while back - me robbing the weaponsmith. No big deal, I think, as I'm playing through with another character...

The thing is, I can't get any of my games to make screenshots in DosBox, and I don't *think* I changed anything. I've snagged hundreds of images already, and it simply refuses to take more. I was running .65 through this, and switched to .70 to no avail. I'm using DFend as well. I'm not new at this, so don't hold back (I got BaK to work at least 😜 ).

Reply 2 of 6, by Lucern

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hadn't thought to look Qbix, but no...no change there. I've fully reinstalled dfend and dosbox since then with no changes to my situation as well.

However, it occurred to me that there might have been a change due to me pressing the wrong buttons - I'm not sure exactly what - but when I saw those last screenshots in the weaponsmith's place I remembered that I was trying to take a .wav sample of the music that was playing, which of course had me pushing weird buttons because I didn't know exactly what to push. I'm using a USB keyboard and I did see some things about keyboard trouble in the forums. This gives me some other things to try.

A quick test showed that none of my other ctrl + Function key commands work either, except one - the keymapper. This changes things (though I'm not quite sure why I *used* to be able to use them...).

Reply 4 of 6, by Lucern

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I saw no such file there or in any folders wd.

My plan of action (when I wake up) is to plug in my old non-usb keyboard, which will tell me if it's an input or a software thing.

Either way, I'll try what this guy did:

how to capture sound?

I appreciate the suggestions thus far.

(fyi I'm using a Microsoft Ergo 4000 keyboard, XP Pro SP2, Intel Pentium D 2.6 dual core, Asus P5WDG2-WS, etc...but I'm thinking it's software since it worked before I did whatever I did)

Reply 6 of 6, by Lucern

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem solved! For starters, this was NOT a problem with Dosbox. It was a 'feature' of my keyboard. As I hit keys in the dark I apparently hit the 'F-lock" - a button and concept I never actually acknowledged existing, much less being next to perfectly useful keys. It's a case of ignorance on my part, but it's good to finally know what the problem was (incidentally, these 'extra' functions do little that I would knowingly give up function keys for).

Thanks all, and happy gaming.