VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mathom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It worked for a while, but now every time I try to start it it crashes after a few seconds before I get control. I've tried re-installing and rebooting and even running an old version, but I keep getting the same message. I'm in Windows XP.

Reply 1 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What if you start DOSBox from a CMD prompt?

Try to do a

C:> set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib
C:> dosbox.exe

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. you can make a batch file for this (write a textfile with the text

set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib
dosbox.exe

and save it as start.bat in the dosbox folder. To start Dosbox doubleclick this file)
2. the problem could be caused by your graphics card drivers. Try to update them to the latest version and try again to start Dosbox without the ser command.

Edit: No sound: make sure the obvious things are not wrong, e.g. the volume control in Windows set to mute (it can happen, believe me 😀). Or check your dosbox.conf and the game that should have sound.
Or again a driver problem.

Reply 5 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
mathom wrote:

Thanks, that worked. It's a bit of a pain to type all the cds but what the heck.

It wasn't meant as a permanent solution, just to identify a possible workaround, and maybe the cause.

As Dominus said, this is a problem with your graphics driver. Specifying windib stops DOSBox from using the DirectX interface in your graphics drivers.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 9, by mathom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay... But now I'm getting the "dosbox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." message even when running within the command prompt and entering "set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib".

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

what are you doing in Dosbox when this happens? What game are you starting (when you don'T hear music)? Is everything ok on your system?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try to use a CVS Version, if that doesnt work get a new SDL.dll (compile one or grab it from: http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php (you would need runtime library for win32 i guess, put the dll into the dosbox folder and overwrite the old one, also install newest DirectX).

Reply 9 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Again, the CVS does NOT solve the inherent problem (which can be
bad gfx drivers, suboptimal directx settings etc.).
It's a bit troublesome that it has worked for you and now crashes,
did you install something inbetween or update drivers or similar?