VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MartyD82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I just installed Need For Speed SE in Dosbox and everything works great - except the videos. With the exception of the intro video, none of the video clips in the game work properly (the sound works, but the image is just a bunch of static throughout the entire duration of the video). I've actually found that real DOS also has this problem with video playback. So my question is this: Is there any sort of patch that I need to install for DOS so that these video clips play correctly?

Reply 3 of 8, by Tabris:DarkPeace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try loading UniVBE

You will most likely need to www.google.com for it

It is a legal free VESA driver/TSR for DOS.

Apparently DOSBox does not emulate VESA for all the video modes.

It is your best shot IMHO, at least if it fails it'll be one step closer to isolating the fault. 😎

http://users.on.net/~darkpeace

Reply 4 of 8, by MartyD82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I couldn't install UniVBE because it doesn't support my current video card (NVIDIA Quadro FX560). Are there any alternatives? If not, it's really no big deal since I don't need the video playback to still enjoy the game. It just seems kind of strange that the opening video clip plays but the remaining video clips don't (well, they play aurally but visually are just a bunch of static).

Reply 5 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox emulates a s3 gfx card, so you would configure it for that card
not your nvidia one (actually the univbe installer/configure thing should
automatically detect the s3 inside dosbox).
What problem does occur exactly? Maybe post a screenshot.

Reply 8 of 8, by Tabris:DarkPeace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When you say it happens in MS-DOS 6.22, do you mean MS-DOS 6.22 within DOSBox, or booted off real hardware ?

http://users.on.net/~darkpeace