VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bender_G

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all.
I have a floppy image, let's say name.img which contains txt files (to be specific it contains c code). So I startup my dosbox and write down
imgmount a: <path to img>\name.img -t floppy
Everything is done properly except the fact that if i change anything to a file (for example edit a file) i cannot save my changes.
Why is that? Can i overcome it or i should look for a virtual floppy somewhere else?

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Sorry - image support in DOSBox is readonly. Meant for stuff like CD's.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 11, by bender_G

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I mounted my hardrive as another drive (b:) and it was possible to copy a file from b: to a: (a: is where i have imgmount my img file). Though, still it is not possible to edit anything on a: even the file I copied.

Reply 6 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dunno, maybe look through some shareware archives. Maybe try the
edit/qbasic from dos6.
But i don't see why your edit.com shouldn't work, maybe somebody else
can verify this. What happens if you save? (error message?)

Reply 7 of 11, by bender_G

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"edit was unable to access the file 'a:\logfile.txt' ----> this is the exact message.
The funny thing is that I quit edit without saving the changes, but the file no longer exists. It has been deleted and sure not by me..

Reply 9 of 11, by bender_G

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes. In fact i installed a virtual floppy and now mount the same img file to the virtual floppy and then mount it to dosbox and works fine.
I tried even to deploy the img file to a diskette and mount the diskette to DosBox and it also worked fine.

Reply 10 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the read-only attribute set on the IMG file itself? (This is quite likely if the IMG file used to be on a CD-ROM.) Or perhaps you are running DOSBox as a user that does not have write-priviledges for the IMG file?