VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by famicom21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey everyone, i did a quick search and couldnt find any helpful info.

i downloaded the latest dosbox to use on my new toshiba m400 tablet, looking forward to using the stylus to play some classic adventire games.

but when i use the stylus, it acts like a joystick, with the center of the screen being the origin, and the mouse speed increasing exponentially as i move the stylus away from the center - the mouse wants to jump to the edges of the screen.

is there any way to correct this?

the normal touch pad works fine, but its no fun 😀

thanks

Reply 7 of 16, by famicom21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm... i think i need more specific directions of where to look, im a dosbox noob 😀

i open it, and i see 2 windows: a status window, and a dos prompt window.

what do i do from here too check if its is set as a joystick?

Reply 8 of 16, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That status window.
Do you have a joystick? Plug it in (no tablet stuff attached) and it should
give a message in that window when dosbox starts. If the tablet does
the same, it's recognized as joystick as well.
If it isn't, it could be queried through the mouse interface most likely.

Reply 9 of 16, by famicom21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm... i think i have screwed up. the tablet im referring to is a laptop, with the tablet stuff built in, not a peripheral... a tablet pc. the status window just says "loading primary settings from config file"
and
"MIDO: opened device:win32"
those are the only messages i get

Reply 13 of 16, by Forgen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same issue with my hp TC1100 tabletPC.

A tabletPC uses a WACOM tablet built-in to the screen. A pen held over the screen at any point moves the mouse cursor to that point (in windows).

In DosBox 0.72 instead of the cursor following the pen, it jumps crazily to the edges of the screen. I noticed in one case I could control it loosely by only moving the pen in the upper right quarter - as if the entire screen coordinates were mapped to the upper right 320x240. However, it is very jittery and unplayable!

I attempted tweaking the fullscreen resolution from original to my computer's native resolution of 1024x768, but it had not effect on the mouse tracking.

It must have something to do with how the mouse is tracked - traditional mice only provide a change in position to the PC. However, the tablet input moves the mouse cursor to the position the pen hits the screen an absolute coordinate instead of a change in coordinate. I am posting this in the development forum as well to see if I can get some help looking at the DosBox source code for the mouse interpretation.

EDIT: I found a thread from last year with some development info on trying to fix the problem here: Wacom Tablet+Dosbox+Autodesk Animator Pro

Reply 14 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yeah, I tried this also with my TC1100 and it's no joy (not to mention that my 800 MHz Centrino is just not very powerful and thus not very enjoyable with Dosbox).

Edit: Forgen: You overdid it a bit with your problem plugin into varios threads. In the end it would have sufficed to write in one or start a new thread...

Reply 15 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This might help:
http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35786
This guy seems to have done something to fix this for him and one game:

The patch is directinput proxy which changes coordinates from relative to sort-of-absolute.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper