Space Quest 6 Demo
Spiderette Demo
Star Trek Klingon Full
Taz Demo
Total Mayhem Demo
Windows Entertainment Pack Full
Windows Word Search Mania Demo
You Don't Know Jack Demo

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-01-21, 18:57. Edited 3 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Operation: Inner Space http://www.sdispace.com/inspace.htm (it's a shareware game, oh well, I posted so often about it you probably know about it already 😀)
The floppy version has problems to work on plain DOSBox+Win311 (writes some copy protection to boot sector or sopmething off the boot sector to the game.exe - works fine with a boot image on Dosbox), the CD Version works fine.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 21, by Roxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know about v0.72 yet, as I only just found out about it, but Dare to Dream by Epic Megagames works fine, as does Midisoft Recording Session (some MIDI sequencing software originally written for Windows 3.1) and MOD4Win 2.40 seems to work perfectly (although it does send its CPU meter over 100% with some files on the best quality settings).

Reply 7 of 21, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

16-bit games all seem to work lovely, but I wish I could get Win32s support. Theres a few anal windows 3.11 games that simply hated Windows 95, so they are currently a pain to get working.

Although I guess VirtualPC could do it.

Reply 8 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I booted up Windows 98 in Vmware Workstation 6 yesterday and noticed that DirectDraw acceleration was gone.

Also checked out the latest version of VirtualBox and they STILL do not have 9x additions.

It's only a matter of time until the latest versions of VPC drop 9x support. (They already dropped official DOS support although it still works).

That leaves Parallels/Qemu/VPC as the only decent emulation/virtualization for Windows 9x.

Haven't checked out Qemu in awhile (Think I heard there was some issue with 9x in the last version) and I have no idea how well 9x is supported in Parallels

Reply 9 of 21, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't know they were dropping support, that sucks 🙁 Right now I use VPC2007 to play Planescape and Fallout and avoid any Xp/Vista issues. It works amazingly well, I hope they don't do a stupid thing and remove support.

I mean Fallout 1 can be run in dosbox if I wanted, it's just Fallout 2 thats the problem (although apparently it works in Vista with some tweaks)

Reply 10 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I didn't know they were dropping support, that sucks Sad Right now I use VPC2007 to play Planescape and Fallout and avoid any Xp/Vista issues. It works amazingly well, I hope they don't do a stupid thing and remove support.

Well, as long as it works, just keep the Version that works around. So it doesn't matter when they remove support for Win9x. Even if it doesn't work that good, it's better to keep that version around since I doubt they'd improve 9x support anyway.

Reply 12 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's what's nice about open source software. When VPC is discontinued and integrated into future Windows versions then VPC will be dead for other OS's. If it was open sourced then development could continue.

I heard Microsoft released the latest ver of Windows 2008 with the Hypervisor. Hopefullly can get my hands on that and test it out. Doubtfully it's of any use for old games but should be alot faster for more modern games.

Reply 13 of 21, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I'll be damned, Win32s installed just fine in Dosbox 0.72! It always failed for me before. I just tried Betrayal in Antara and it worked, albeit a little slow and skippy. If I copy the CDs to images it might not skip every time it loads.

😁

Reply 14 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, loaded up Betrayal in Antara in DosBox using Windows 3.11 today and it works great. Game runs way too fast on my host and I hate using slowdown utilities.

Reply 15 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated the list!

Ran into some trouble with MPC Battle Chess today....looks like the CD Audio won't play in Windows 3.1.
Is there a driver that needs to be installed in Windows 3.1 to play CD Audio?

Reply 16 of 21, by Alrik Fassbauer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not a driver, but an MCI part (well, it's too long ago sincve I used Win 3.1, so I can't recall much of this anymore).

MCI was the multimedia part of Windows, and my Windows 98 still has it, deeply hidden. (Can't access it now, since my Win98SE PC went down about a month ago.)

So, an MCI part or module for CD Audio should be installed, yes, to be able to play CD Audio.

Normally, Windows should install it on its own, I guess, but perhaps it didn't do it because the install programm didn't "see" the CD drive from within DOSBOX ?

Reply 17 of 21, by Huggybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
I booted up Windows 98 in Vmware Workstation 6 yesterday and noticed that DirectDraw acceleration was gone. […]
Show full quote

I booted up Windows 98 in Vmware Workstation 6 yesterday and noticed that DirectDraw acceleration was gone.

Also checked out the latest version of VirtualBox and they STILL do not have 9x additions.

It's only a matter of time until the latest versions of VPC drop 9x support. (They already dropped official DOS support although it still works).

That leaves Parallels/Qemu/VPC as the only decent emulation/virtualization for Windows 9x.

Haven't checked out Qemu in awhile (Think I heard there was some issue with 9x in the last version) and I have no idea how well 9x is supported in Parallels

Will Bochs work?
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

Reply 19 of 21, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not a fan of Win3.11 games but a few simple ones run fairly under Connectix VirtualPC.
i.e.: I needed it to run Zombie Wars; furthermore I could stop a game anytime with VirtualPC's freeze feature and continue it whenever I wanted to.