VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by simonecuttlefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi (my 1st post : )

I'm making up a DOSBox collection of DOS only PC scene demos for PC-BSD and was wanting to incorporate some kind of benchmarking software so users can test their Dosbox.conf settings internally.

I'm trying to set it up via a DOS menu system (working beautifully atm using either moo http://www.eiu.edu/~philos/retro/dos/menus.htm or access http://surf.to/AccessDosMenu. (newest access uses 800X600 vesa mode that mongrels up the mouse unfortunalty in PC-BSD/Xwindows, but it funtions well from keyboard. I didn't want the uses to have to learn DOS to play the demos initially, but will encourage them out of the GUI slowly : )

There are dozens of DOS video benchmarks about but most tend to test memory read/writes, and in the "real world" of emulation, this is meaningless - the important thing is how long it takes to display a certain number of frames, not virtual writes to virtual memory locations on virtual hardware : )

I've tried the old 3dbench and 3dbench2 programs (with the spinning computer and 3d text bouncing about), but it's really not that good for what I want, seems more CPU than video related and doesn't really stress video functions.

The "perfect" program seems to be doom19s (shareware doom latest), as when it completes a timedemo it terminates and spits out collectable text (via >filename.txt), but it is not redistributable bundled with other software : (

Hexen demo (or was it heretic? one of them) didn't have these redistribution hastles, BUT.. (always a but), their -timedemo demo# function does not sync video, so it's effectively useless : (

Quake1 is also OK as you can -condebug out the results, but not redistributable.

I can work around the redistribution thing, but it would be very nice to be able to include it. Can someone suggest anything that does the following (the more it does the better)

1) Does real world type tests: displays a known set of routines on the screen and times them (like MadOnion for DOS if there was such a thing : )

2) Would be GREAT if it displayed/dumped performance data either to the screen on exit, or to a file (not essential, but lovely as I can harvest the info on exit and display/store it for user comparative testing)

3) Allows redistribution: again not 100% essential but really a nice thing to have)

4) Even a piece of truly abandoned abandon-ware would do - either benchmarker or DOS game with performance tests.

There MUST be some old DOS software as freeware or redistributable shareware out there that fits the bill, but I have been gouging around old DOS software repositories for days now and still not found what I was looking for.

What do YOU guys use for performance testing?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by simonecuttlefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, after all that I found I could use BOOM and run the freedoom version of their doom1 shareware wad, and record a custom demo to play back.

My 1st post is still valid, though - still looking for benchmark alternatives ...... should DOSBox have an "official" benchmark test for comparative testing?

Reply 2 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe there was someone from MobyGames that mentioned that they were working on a benchmaking app for DosBox but I don't remember his name. You could post this topic over there and see if he shows up.

The only performance testing I do is I setup the game and make sure it runs well which isn't really a problem for a Core 2 Duo machine.

oh, well we do run through a couple of benchmarks with protected mode games whenever speed improvements are introduced.

Some of the games we tested when improving dynamic core:

Duke3d
Blood
Redneck Rampage series
Shadow Warrior
Destruction Derby 1
Nascar Racing 1
Terminator: Future Shock, Skynet
Screamer 2
Heretic, Hexen
Doom 1/2
F22

The following are all (well the ones I've noted as protected mode) of the protected mode games on my compatibility list:

Ancient Domains of Mystery
NetHack
Quake
Quake
Abuse
Alien Trilogy
Asterisk & Obelix
BATTLECRUISER 3000AD v2.0
Big Red Racing
Big Red Racing
Blood
Blood & Magic
Boppin
Brudal Baddle
Capitalism
Carmageddon
Command & Conquer
Command & Conquer Red Alert
Command and Conquer: Red Alert Counterstrike
Command & Conquer Red Alert: The Aftermath
Command and Conquer: The Covert Operations
Command and Conquer: The Covert Operations
Daggerfall
Dark Forces
Descent
Descent 2
Descent 2
Descent 2 Vertigo
Destruction Derby
Doom v1.9
Doom Special Edition
Doom 2: Hell on Earth
Duke Nukem 3D
Dungeon Keeper Gold Edition
Dungeon Master 2
Ecstatica
Extreme Assault
Extreme Pinball
Fallout
Fantasy Empires
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Full Throttle
Gabriel Knight
Heretic
Hexen: Beyond Heretic
Jagged Alliance
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
Lion King
Magic Carpet 2: The Netherworlds
Mechwarrior 2
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
Megarace 2
Menzoberranzan
Mortal Kombat 1
Mortal Kombat 2
NASCAR Racing
Need for Speed
One Must Fall: 2097
Orion Project
Phantasmagoria
Pizza Tycoon
Quarantine
Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness
Raptor Call of the Shadows
RedGuard
Redneck Rampage Rides Again
Relentless: Twinsen's Little Big Adventure
Revolution X
Rise of the Triad
SandWarriors
ShadowCaster
Shadow Warrior
SimCity 2000
Simon The Sorceror 2
Skunny Kart
Space Quest 6
Star Quest 1
Steel Panthers World War 2
Strife
System Shock
Terminal Velocity
Terra Nova Strike Force Centauri
Wacky Wheels
Warcraft
Warcraft 2: Beyond the Dark Portal
Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness
WaterWorld
Worms
X-Com UFO Enemy Unknown
X-Com: Terror From The Deep
Xcar
Crusader No Regret
Crusader No Remorse
Privateer

When testing improvements to dynamic core you can see improvements to cycles by comparing processor usage at different cycles. ex 20,000 cycles before an improvement @ 90% processor usage vs 70% processor usage after. (Just an example).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fraps works with dosbox using opengl. The framerate pretty much matches up to the dos benchmarks cbench and pcpbench. As for performance, opengl is much slower(~1/3) than overlay with a nvidia 6600gt.

Reply 4 of 10, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The pcbench benchmark is pretty real-world, as it renders a full 3D scene, configurable for multiple resolutions, bit depths and with optional dynamic lighting (in grayscale modes). That should cover all resource-demanding cases.

Reply 5 of 10, by simonecuttlefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ih8registrations wrote:

Fraps works with dosbox using opengl.

Thanks for the tip - but I was looking for something that runs withing DOSBox, not measure it from the outside thanks (unless I'm missing the point)

Reply 6 of 10, by simonecuttlefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

The pcbench benchmark is pretty real-world, as it renders a full 3D scene, configurable for multiple resolutions, bit depths and with optional dynamic lighting (in grayscale modes). That should cover all resource-demanding cases.

TOP TIP! Thanks - this is cool - I've looked it over and it "seems" great. It "seems" to run great and takes command line scripting AND spits out collectable text when finished (with /once) - I'm crap and only speak English so still working on the translation to English though (is there and English version? the one I got is in German). German version http://dos.skillreactor.org/addons/silverscale/PCPBENCH.ZIP

But top score for the pointer to this proggy - I had not encountered it before. Now - do I drop my boom.exe + freedoom wad test, or include them both : )

Reply 7 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you can't accurately determine the performance of a computer with just one program. Especially a benchmark program.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Simon, if you'd bother to search the forum, you'll find a similar thread in which I posted a crappy translation of the PCBench program.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Simon, if you'd bother to search the forum, you'll find a similar thread in which I posted a crappy translation of the PCBench program.

I've just tried PCPBench for the first time, and would really like to read your German to English translation please. Can you point me in the direction of that thread of yours please? Thanks very much. (I tried searching for the words "pcbench" and "translation", but it just points me in the direction of this thread!

Reply 10 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Can you look for pcPbench? It should be findable 😀 if not pm me again on sunday. Before that I'm not likely to be at my pc where it's at...

Edit: I looked again, and I uploaded that once to a members only area of the forum 😀
So, I uploaded it here again.

Attachments

• Filename
    PCPBENCH.zip
    File size
    313.8 KiB
    Downloads
    643 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception