VOGONS

Common searches

Why does Warcraft 2 not work under DOSBox without the CD as opposed to XP?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Even when I patch the game to get rid of the CD Check, running the game under DOSBox will still make the "Insert CD" message appear.

Yet if I run the game under VDMSound, the CD Check will disappear only then. Back to DOSBox, it comes back.

Is there something else I'm supposed to do here? I have the original CD and all but I just don't like the idea of having to keep a backup CD image on my HD and taking up space (and I tend to quickly fill up my hard disks almost completely, hah).

EDIT: Damn, I just realised I posted this in the wrong section! Feel free to move it, chaps....

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't you need the CD anyway for the CD Audio? If your playing Warcraft 2 without the CD Audio then you should be drug out back and shot. Seriously.

I don't know what kind of NOCD patch it is but it's possible the game still looks for the CD when you load it (like the CD Audio mabye?). DosBox by default does not emulate a CD drive whereas NTVDM loads the drivers to access your CD drive by default.

You could try mounting an empty directory as a cdrom and see if that allows the game to work.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Don't you need the CD anyway for the CD Audio? If your playing Warcraft 2 without the CD Audio then you should be drug out back and shot. Seriously.

Lol. I thought the game used MIDI music anyway?

I don't know what kind of NOCD patch it is but it's possible the game still looks for the CD when you load it (like the CD Audio mabye?). DosBox by default does not emulate a CD drive whereas NTVDM loads the drivers to access your CD drive by default.

You could try mounting an empty directory as a cdrom and see if that allows the game to work.

I'll let you know if that works - gotta go to bed now! 😉

Reply 3 of 9, by Og

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit the file WAR2.INI and change the line:

cdpath=

To represent the files location on your harddisk.

If this value is currently:

cdpath=.

And you are mounting the game directory as drive C (I.E. the executable is: c:\war2.exe), then change it to:

cdpath=..

(Add another dot/period)

Reply 4 of 9, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

* helps DosFreak dragging marzsyndrome out the back * 😁 .

Quality games like Warcraft 2 should always be played with their full features.

marzsyndrome wrote:

Lol. I thought the game used MIDI music anyway?

If we were talking about Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, then I would understand, as I've heard rumors about a CD version of it with audio tracks, and upon further investigation, found out it's not true...

When you played the game (Warcraft 2), didn't you notice in the ingame SOUND menu a certain option like "CD audio" or similar (IIRC)? I'm at work right now, but I'll check this later today...

Maybe you should try using a program like UltraISO to make a BIN/CUE out of your original CD? With that same program, you'll be able to load the image and play the audio tracks of the game. It's a whole new experience comparing to the MIDI music 😀 !

Then you should load the *.CUE file in DOSBox (via imgmount command) and experience the game in it's full glory!

Reply 5 of 9, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

you could MP3 the music and use a 3rd party audio player... this would save a ton on hard disk space 🤣.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 6 of 9, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there is no cd audio in the battle .net edition >.> but how do we know what version he is using?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 7 of 9, by marzsyndrome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the Battle.net Edition is Windows only, and I mention about running W2 through DOSBox, so it's pretty much the original DOS version I'm talking about, heh.

And Og's tip worked beautifully btw. 😁 Never knew a single extra dot could make so much difference! I wonder why it works like that? I don't seem to have to do this when applying similar setttings/configs in other games.

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

We do not support illegal downloaded copies.

Also, and this is important, please do not necropost, meaning posting in years old topics is frowned at.

Locking the topic now

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper