VOGONS

Common searches

DosBox (This is Windows NT windowed executable.)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Protocol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there guys. I'm a newbie here so I will be brief.
I have installed DosBox with no problem, folowed step by steb guide e.t.c. But when i try to launch a game (Approx 1998 release date), DosBox says the following -> "This is a Windows NT windowed executable"
I have probably missed something or something i don't know yet.
I would like to ask for some help please, and thank you guys for your Time!

We will see you,..

Reply 4 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

"This is a Windows NT windowed executable"

What happens when you start the game in Windows? Seems the game is for Windows.
Or you did something wrong with mounting and startig the game, so please write us what you did, step by step.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 14, by Protocol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here goes. If I start the game in windows, on startup it gives an Error message saying something that the memory cannot be written. All attempts on launching the game normally - failed, Aparently i'm not the only one with that particular problem as I searched the web, where somewhere I found last advice by trying and using DosBox. So, I have downloaded DosBox 0.72 and used all Guides located here at this site. I'm more than sure that I have done everything as it said. To give you a hint, it's not just the .exe issue with this error message. When I have to Install that game using DosBox, it says same error when i type "D:\>install". But since i have that game already installed, I could skip that section. Ufff...

We will see you,..

Reply 9 of 14, by simonecuttlefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now it's my turn to sound like a moron but ... here goes....

The game looks like fun actually. Could it possibly be that this is the Amiga or Atari version, and it is trying to run in an amiga or atari emulator? Is the CD an original, or a clone/copy/custom version (downloaded from bittorrent or similar)? Does it have any .bat files on the disk, or in the root of the installed folder, and if so could you look in them with notepad to work something out? - perhaps even posting up the names of the .exe files might help as well.

Reply 11 of 14, by Protocol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is unknown what version the game acctualy is, since nolo Amiga or Atari trace is seen neither before or after installation. The game is downloaded from www.rapidshare.com, but i tried to get it elsewhere, with a success in that,... the result is a same error message when launching manually, "The instruction at 004447d1 referenced memory at 01228400. The memory could not be written". Other thing is it is guaranteed that the game is an actual copy of an original, and also it is guaranteed that it works. Indeed some people are able to launch it as they say on the WEB, while others have this issue... 😒

We will see you,..

Reply 12 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, with warez copies you are on your own, expect this topic to be closed down soon. I have some ideas why it's not working but I leave that to you to figure out.
Next time you have a problem with a game and you want to ask here for help, make sure you do the following:
- use an original copy, warez is a big no no
- name your OS and which version of Dosbox you are using (you did that)
- name the game right away, I'm really not sure why you have to ask people twice for the name of the game they have problems with...
- do as the people who are trying to help you, say. For example when they ask for what you do with Dosbox to play the game, step by step, then answer this, step by step...

Reply 13 of 14, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

it's clearly a Windows game

For the record: it's not that clear at all.

I'd second Dominus' opinion: it's pretty bold to ask questions about a warez version here. Just because "someone", "somewhere on the web" writes this game is supposed to work, doesn't mean it really is. Unless you get an original, you're pretty much on your own.