VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HarryK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This isn't really a DOSBox question, but I couldn't think of a more appropriate place to post it. I can run both Win '98SE and Win XP (and therefore DOSBox) on my computer, but my new wireless mouse and keyboard cannot be recognized by Win '95. (Not a big surprise.) Does anyone know if there is any way I could play the highly regarded Win '95 adventure game The Last Express? Has anyone ever considered writing a Win '95 emulator as the team here has done with DOSBox for DOS, or is that just not in the cards?

Thanks,
Harry Kaplan

Reply 1 of 9, by HarryK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hold everything! I just pulled out my copy of the game, and I see that it ran in DOS as well as Win '95. Looking at the DOSBox game list, I see it is rated "playable" but not "supported." What exactly is the difference? I couldn't find the terms defined anywhere.

Thanks,
Harry

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only "Windows Emulator" in existince is "Wine" which isn't actually an emulator but an API translator. There are no "Windows" emulators just PC emulators. You can use Qemu/VirtualBox/Vmware/VPC/Parallels to install acopy of 95/98 and run your games in there assuming they do not use Direct3D.

I don't have the Last Express but if it runs in DOS then most likely it will run fine in DosBox. The only way to know for sure is to try it and see.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 9, by HarryK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your quick reply. But just so I understand the vocabulary here, when does a game rated "playable" graduate to "supported"? Does "playable" mean in theory it should work (your opinion on Last Express) but that no one has actually tried it and reported results?

Thanks,
Harry

Reply 4 of 9, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

'Playable' means you can play the game (obviously), but there are usually some glitches left. 'Supported' means the game should work just like it would on a real MS-DOS PC.

Why don't you just try it? Last Express has been rated under v0.70, and there's been some improvements in compatibility since then. Perhaps you're lucky. You could also download one of the several CVS builds available.

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 5 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
HarryK wrote:

But just so I understand the vocabulary here, when does a game rated "playable" graduate to "supported"? Does "playable" mean in theory it should work (your opinion on Last Express) but that no one has actually tried it and reported results?

Whatever you see in the "Supported Games" list is what various unknown people has decided to put there. There is no list dictator that goes around and approves the entries there, so what it says it what the person making the entry thought it should say.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 9, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last Express works fine, i've tested it some months ago with DOSBox 0.70 (the latest version at the time). Search VOGONS for the game's name to get additional info, there was a thread about the game some time ago.

EDIT: the thread i was referring to is not very useful. Just use the "standard procedure" to install the game, it should work without troubles.

Reply 9 of 9, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm quite sure that Win XP fully supports The Last Express. As I recall, the only Issue was that the game would create a "crash message" when exiting it, but apart from that it should work like a charm. You may have to use compatability mode to install/play the game, but I'm really very sure it should work 😀