VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterRouge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to know if it okay for me to place dosbox for download on my website and translate it to danish. I know there are several people, who's english is not so good. And they like to play old games.

And I will put a link to dosbox homepage in our links page.

sincerly HunterRouge

Reply 1 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What is there to translate? DOSBox supports a language file

The ReadMe wrote:
====================== 12. The Language File: ====================== […]
Show full quote

======================
12. The Language File:
======================

A language file can be generated by CONFIG.COM (CONFIG -writelang langfile). Read it, and you will hopefully understand how to change it. Start DOSBox with the -lang switch to use your new language file. Alternatively, you can setup the filename in the config file in the [dosbox] section. There's a language= entry that can be changed with the filename.

So you don't need to translate DOSBox, all you need is to create a Danish version of the language file, and tell DOSBox to use it instead of the built-in English file.

But you don't even need to do that 😀 There already is a Danish language file for 0.72:
http://dosbox.sf.net/tools/DOSBox-0.72-DK-1.0.zip
(all the downloadable files are here: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1)

(Men hvis det ikke var det du mente med at oversætte til dansk, så forklar dig lidt mere)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 8, by HunterRouge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tak for linksene, men jeg mente også at sætte dosbox prg på vores hjemmesides download page. Og sammentidig sætte jeres side på vores links side.

For selvom det er ganske frit at hente har I nogle rettigheder og derfor spørger jeg, så der ikke bliver nogen komplikationer. Jeg vil også lave en udetaljeret installations vejledning til de folk som jeg kender, der gerne vil have dosbox. Så de ikke roder rundt i vejledningen, men bare gør som der står uden valgmuligheder.

Nu har jeg hentet en del abandonware som jeg vil sætte ind på vores download page på et given tidspunkt. Og så vil det jo være rart at man kan hente dosbox samme sted.

Der er forresten en anden ting, Dune2 - Heroes Might & Magic har problemer når man skal ændre i spillet. Foreksempel at sætte hastigheden op og i savegame delen. Begge spil virker uden dosbox, men kun med dosbox kan jeg få alt lyd med.

Reply 4 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Still not sure what you want to do. Do you want to take a copy of the DOSBox installer, and make that copy available as a download from your site? That should be okay, but if you really want to be sure, you should also make the corresponding source code available for download from the same site:

GPLv2 wrote:
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the […]
Show full quote

3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

Problems with Heroes Might & Magic should be dealt with in a separate thread.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Please just put a link to the dosbox homepage on your site, no download.
It's way easier to provide users with the latest versions, there are already
enough old versions floating around for various reasons.

Reply 6 of 8, by radivx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Allthough DOSBox is GPL licensed and that allows you to publish it whereever you want as long as the original source and license is included, the best thing is to allow official development talk and downloads stay on the original website.

If you want to introduce young ?? Danes ?? to DOS Gaming, I suggest developing a Danish frontend instead. Preferably showing the console input "sent" to DOSBox so they can learn the real commands when they want to go beyond the limit of a frontend.

Reply 7 of 8, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
radivx wrote:

I suggest developing a Danish frontend instead.

I think, ErikGG would be happy, if HunterRouge provides a danish localization of his frontend D.O.G. 😎

Klimawandel.

Reply 8 of 8, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I won't say no... 🙄

But one warning though, D.O.G. has close to 500 lines of text to translate so it is a LOT. And with D.O.G. 1.54 on its way it will increase to about 550 lines of text.

All Language files are now compatible with the future D.O.G.
Text that isn't in the language file is shown in English.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc