VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dosbox_agent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need to communicated with real COM1 under Win32 platform. I spent much time to attempt configure dosbox for correct work with real COM1.

Content of serial section of dosbox.conf:

[serial]
serial1=directserial comport:1 realport:COM1 startbps:9600 parity:N stopbits:1 bytesize:8 rxdelay:400

1) When COM1 hw is no present on computer then dosbox is eternally freezed after message "Serial1: Opening COM1". This is not acceptable behaviour in my opinion.

2) When I started communication with COM1 port with real COM1 hw - read data is bad and not the same as sent data to COM1. This is unusable for real using.

Are there exists any solution?

Reply 3 of 11, by dosbox_agent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And any solving of second problem? I am very suprise because I learn of you that bad function od COM1 is very good and excellent behavior of dosbox. Ok, ok, thanks.

I tested it on 10 very different computers and differents hw. For sure I sent dosbox package with configuration to my two friends in different countries. I pleased them to test on theirs computers with theirs hardware.

Transfer from direct COM1 reading in dosbox is very bad and buggy in 100% cases is definite conclude for me.

Reply 4 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Transfer from direct COM1 reading in dosbox is very bad and buggy in 100% cases is definite conclude for me.

Ok, thanks for letting us know. Maybe don't use a game emulator next
time when doing your highly sophisticated comX analysis ranging over
several countries.

Reply 6 of 11, by dosbox_agent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried not only oficial release but your build too. I tried everything before writing to this forum including yuor build and including searching all internet and this forum. Debug log contents so much "overrun" errors - and settings rxdelay to any values was withnout any effect. Overrun errors is on all tested computers with various COM hw and on wide range of DOS programs receiving data form COM port.

Reply 7 of 11, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand that English is not your first language, but still, on this forum (like everywhere else) COURTESY is considered important by some people.

If you have payed the programmers for making DOSBox, then maybe you can tell them: "This is not acceptable, fix it now!"

If you don't pay a cent and they give it to you for free, it's much better to say, "I have this bug to report, if you happen to have time, feel free to look into it."

Also add all details about which DOSBox version and which OS you are using, and often it is also useful to give all your dosbox.conf and also the names of the programs you are running inside DOSbox, the name of your USB-to-RS232 adapter and its driver version, etc.

(I'm also just a user so wd and Qbix feel free to correct me if what I just said is wrong.)

tearex

Reply 8 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I see nothing wrong with what you said TeaRex. And your opinion is worth the same as wd's, Qbix's, and anyone else.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 11, by dosbox_agent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, English is not my first language - excuse me for my errors.

I tried to report bug in this forum. I presumed it is help for developers. In my message you cannot find nothing about command "correct it fastly".

I am very wrong suprised - mostly answers to my report is only useless noise. Mostly peopled show me lifemanship and arrogancy.

Ok, I am a programmer with 20 years of experiences - this is not problem for me to correct it if I need it. I programmed for several open source project but so many arrogancy as in this forum I see first time.

Thank you to all.

Reply 10 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

dosbox_agent - I hope every programmer is happy to receive error reports about their program, and I hope that includes the people behind DOSBox too. But you also have to remember what the primary purpose of DOSBox is: To play games.

The modem/serial port support that is built into the standard DOSBox release is there to allow 2 or more computers to be connected for multi-player games. And for that it seems to work okay.

h-a-l-9000 improved on the serial-port support his own builds. It is not perfect, but it seems to work for some people, including people using his builds to control Motorola radios and car ignition/tuning devices.

Debugging the serial port is difficult, because it involves hardware. A software problem can usually be debugged by sending a copy of the program to one of the developers, and he/she can then try to see what the problem is. Sending a piece of hardware to a developer is a little more difficult 😀

Maybe if you can tell h-a-l-9000 more about which programs you have tried, which hardware you tried it on, etc, etc, then he can advise you on what to do. Maybe the first step is to find something that works? I don't know what to suggest. Perhaps a null-modem cable and some communication software (ProComm, X-modem, ...) to verify that the cable and the serial port is working?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 11, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dosbox_agent wrote:

Ok, I am a programmer with 20 years of experiences - this is not problem for me to correct it if I need it. I programmed for several open source project but so many arrogancy as in this forum I see first time.

Then you should know that emulation is a different world. It's not that each and every use of it is tested and it will break for something sooner or later in practice. For that reason your statement was not in place. Complaining about a desktop widget being unstable and an emulator feature being unstable doesn't fall into a same class of politeness. The latter has to go through a huge "phase space of testing to reach the same quality level, so even this "100% buggy" (in your case) functionallity required a lot of work and debugging nights spent by h-a-l-9000.