VOGONS

Common searches

I need Help with black borders on 1280x1024 If nobody minds.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Meltdown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey I registered here because I have a question that i don't seem to find answer for.
I have a 17 inch LCD with 1280x1024 native resolution and I am trying to run dosbox on it but it doesn't quite give me 100% full screen.
To be more exact I get black strips on the bottom and on the upper part of the monitor.
My question is the following, is there a way to make dosbox run in 1280x1024 with a 5:4 scale?
If I run it in 1024x768 or in 1280x960 I get proper full screen but in 1280x1024 I get this!
blackbordersin1280x1024ce5.th.jpg

I also have to mention I am using D.O.G. 1.54 with dosbox 0.72 and my video card is nvidia 8800 gtx and I am on xp with latest drivers for everything.

Reply 2 of 13, by Meltdown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

aspect=true

Thank you for very fast reply but on my previous post I forgot to mention that it is already on! 🤐
aspectonqx8.th.jpg
If I turn it off, the image becomes completely wide screen and the bottom and upper screen black borders look really huge eating almost all the screen surface so I know at least that when I turn it on it works but not 100%
I use directdraw, 1280x1024,double buffering, and hq3x and aspect on and i get those small black borders.
So i'm open for new solutions.

Reply 4 of 13, by Meltdown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

The game's aspect is 4:3, so it's supposed to have black bars if the monitor is 5:4.
Wonder why the borders are marked GAY in the screenshot.

I get those bars on all games that I played on dosbox in 1280x1204 until now not just in dave.
The borders are marked as gay because I hate them, I am forced to play everything in 1024x768 or 1280x960 to get rid of them and obviously my monitor being lcd doesn't quite look 100% sharp in non native resolutions.
The reason I made this topic here is because I was hoping some dosbox community people might of heard this problem before and they already know what I'm doing bad to get those borders.

I just find it irritating that dosbox is the only app that shoes those black borders when I play in 1280x1024 in fullscreen so I suspected I am doing something bad and that's why I get them.

My monitor is normal 17 inch not widescreen!
I was expecting dosbox to be able to scale the image to fit the screen.

Judging by the fact that people use 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768 for quite some time I expected to get 100% image coverage on that resolution in dosbox also.
I am not demanding it since I really have a hard time understanding this screen ratio but if its impossible to keep original scale in 1280x1024 and cover the entire screen then I will understand and live with it.

Reply 5 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As 1280x1024 native monitors are a little taller i'd live with those borders since that's how it should look at that height.

Meltdown wrote:

The borders are marked as gay because I hate them

Another teenage homophobe. I begin to wonder why i'm even helping you at all. 🙄

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Judging by the fact that people use 1280x1024 instead of 1024x768 for quite some time I expected to get 100% image coverage on that resolution in dosbox also.

That doesn't change the fact that it's a 5:4 ratio.

Thank you for very fast reply but on my previous post I forgot to mention that it is already on!

Turn it off then. See if that makes any difference. Also try using a lower resolution like 640x480 with a scaler of "normal2x".

On my older 19" LCD I used to use "scaler=normal2x" and "fullresolution=original" to get a full screen image with minimal blurring for a 1280x1024 native. So if you have a 17" theres no way it can look worse.

Reply 7 of 13, by micmic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meltdown wrote:

I suspected I am doing something bad and that's why I get them.

Yep, you are obviously doing something bad. I bet you talked to a homosexual before the borders appeared. Or maybe you missed church last Sunday.

Be a good boy from now on and the borders will disappear.

Reply 8 of 13, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meltdown wrote:

I get those bars on all games that I played on dosbox in 1280x1204 until now not just in dave. (...) I am not demanding it since I really have a hard time understanding this screen ratio but if its impossible to keep original scale in 1280x1024 and cover the entire screen then I will understand and live with it.

Well, in order for 4:3 ratio picture to appear on a 5:4 ratio screen, you'd need stretching. And since 1280x960 is 4:3, this means you (well, DOSbox in fact) need to come up with the other 64 rows of pixels. There's multiple ways of doing this, like doubling every 15th scanline, but that looks ugly. Scaling from a lower resolution, like avatar_58 suggested, might look best, as the scaling is applied evenly.

JAL

Reply 11 of 13, by Meltdown

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey thanks for caring to help people, I knew this community is not gay to let me down and ditch me for being a new user 😉.
About me being teenage no sry I am 23 years old so I'm not teenage any more.
About the gay word on those borders well it seems lots of people here seem to be anti, antigay people like myself.
What can I say yes I am anti men that walk on the streets and look at me and consider me and other men sexy!
I come from a country where gay is a word equal to nazi.

Reply 12 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am locking this thread now. If there are unresolved technical problems, please open a new thread

And if you feel a need to discuss age, phobics and other stuff, take it to Milliways or PM's

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions