VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by c-miz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, forgive me for sounding like a total noob, but I need help. I tried downloading a game from bestoldgames.net. Was told by a friend to download DOSBOX...Did that fine. Now I have dosbox on my comp, and the game downloaded. The file that I got with all the game stuff has a lot of .OVL and .BAT files (whatever that is) My request- Can someone SIMPLY explain step by step how I run the game on dosbox? Oh and I'm on a Mac using OSX if that matters. Any info would be greatly appreciated. 😀

Reply 1 of 9, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try out DappleGray, it is a MAC frontend for DOSBox. It is a kind of Windows on top of DOSBox.

Also check out the guides in the Guides section of this forum.

The bat files are batch files used in DOS and Windows. These are kind of script files. These are the most likely to be used for starting the game.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 2 of 9, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can somebody explain to me why somebody who doesn't know DOS would be interested in DOSBox? I see a lot of these threads and to be honest: I just don't get it. Yeah I'm a Mac user as well, but I lived and breathed DOS and DOS Gaming for a large part of my youth, so well yeah.

Reply 4 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with dh4rm4, there are reasons that a number of people might be interested in old DOS games and not know much about DOS. It doesn't take much mental strain to think of a number of situations where this would be the case. However, let's not loose sight of the fact that c-miz is asking for help with an abandonware game. I think that Erik has given enough leads on how to start using DOSBox.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 9, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darkgamorck wrote:

Can somebody explain to me why somebody who doesn't know DOS would be interested in DOSBox? I see a lot of these threads and to be honest: I just don't get it. Yeah I'm a Mac user as well, but I lived and breathed DOS and DOS Gaming for a large part of my youth, so well yeah.

Well you got to have two computers at same time, not something easy to manage, I can guaranty you that your case is rare. 😀

It's very sample, you heard about a game and then heard about DOSBox when reading stuff about that game, that simple. 😁

DOS is a crap that's so obvious, but it's funny that it allows suddenly through DOSBox to play many games you've never been able to play on Mac. Even more ironical, for old mac games you don't have any fine way to play them in the new macs nor with the last version of OS X with any mac. There's just no decent emulator for the old systems so your best bet to play old mac games is that there's the DOS version that runs fin in DOSBox version. 😁

I think the easiest way to start DOSBox is to read carefully the conf file provided with the DOSBox help ready for getting more information. And try it first, not with any game, but with one or two known to work very fine. Then using a front end is the second step to do.

DOSBox plus abandonware makes much more easy the setup process in comparison with old times, where you had much more problems, installation problems, floppy boot stuff problems, floppy problems, much more memory setup problems, sometime unclear sounds setup problems, and so on. In fact DOSBox makes it much more easy and makes look DOS almost cool! 😜

Reply 8 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
huiope wrote:

In fact DOSBox makes it much more easy and makes look DOS almost cool!

Quoted for the fact that I like that quote

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 9, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well it's absolutely true. DOSBox takes all of the real hassle out of DOS. If you've ever spent hours screwing with memory managers, upper memory blocks and boot configs... then you know exactly what I am talking about.

Also I should clarify my "I'm a Mac User" comment. My primary OS of choice today is OS X. However I use Ubuntu and Vista on a daily basis. Back during the golden age of DOS Gaming, all I had was a number of different DOS machines. I didn't own Macs way back when.