D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 300 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. Alexander!
About SvummVM:
It loses gui theme - can not find modern.zip and reverts to 'classic'.
May you add parameter 'themepath=' to [scummvm] section of .ini file.
I think it should be setted to the value from main 'summvm.ini' file, if it is not empty, or to scummvm.exe path in other case.
Maybe parameter 'gui_theme=' should be coped too.

Reply 301 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

first of all thank you very much for this extremly intensively testing! I'm just working on the bug reports list and will say something to some of the items when I'm done with them. (Approximately 2/3 of the bugs are already fixed.)

At the moment I just want to say something on the other post:

IIGS_User:
Of course a tutorial on the website would ne nice. But my free time is very limited. I think 0.5.0 will be the last big new feature release for the next time. The next steps for the future will be some homepage improvements (perhaps tutorials, offering games as single-game zip packages alternatively etc.)

skatz:
Thank you very much for your translation. I haven't looked at it yet but will include it to my development files later today. With this only the French translation and the Danish installer translation (DFR translation already finished) are missing. Ok, and I have to fix a heap of bugs.

khelvan:
At the moment you can look at the DOSBox guides forum:
DOSBox Guides
There you will find some very good DOSBox introduction. If you know how DOSBox works, D-Fend Reloaded will be very easy to use, too. (Alternatively you can download the latest beta version of DFR; see the download link above. But as you can see, there are still some bugs in this beta version.)

puppetj:
D-Fend Reloaded can directly use the D-Fend "prof" files. Just import them to D-Fend Reloaded (via the menu, by dragging them to the program window or by copying them to the "Confs" folder of you D-Fend Reloaded installation). The prof files of your D-Fend installation are located in the "Confs" subdirectory. (Do not import the conf and the prof files, this will result in having each game twice in the list!)

Reply 302 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have worked on some of the bug. Here are my results so far:

Icon manager:
1.1: Fixed for this version by removing "..." from the menu icon manager menu item. (Didn't want to break string completeness.)
1.2: I have changed viewstyle from "SmallIcons" to "Icons" for having the texts below (with word wraps) instead of right to the icons for having more space, but this does not solve the real problem. I don't know how to avoid this problem; the listview component is just a Delphi conttrol I use and I can't do more than to find the best property setup.
1.3: I did not change the names but made the "select icon" function case insensitive (because file names are case insensitive on Windows plattform and so both names are ok for the same file).

Windows profile:
2.1: Fixed.
2.2: I can't confirm this bug yet (but fixed two others: DOS exe file not always recognized as DOS exe files and "Programs" folder from start menu was chosen as default folder in select program file dialog instead of the "Program files" folder).

Mounting:
3.1: Fixed, also fixed: Other pages not notifyed if game/setup exe changed on profile page (results in wrong auto create entrys on drives pages as long as dialog was not closed and reopend).
3.2: The dialog should appear if you choose ".\VirtualHD" as extracting folder and "Delete files (& folder)", but it didn't, fixed. (This should prevent users from deleting their whole VirtualHD folder content.)

DOSBox installations (Setup):
4.1: Fixed.
4.2: Fixed.
4.3: Fixed.
4.4+4.5: "WinDIB" is now (=also in 0.5.0b2) the default value on all plattforms, removed "(default)" from "DirectX".

Shortcuts creation:
4.1: Fixed.
4.2: Close will be turned off, if DFR waits for zip repacking.

Links Editor:
5.1: That's ok; info message is only for Help|Old games links (empty lines are only allowed there).
5.2: Ups, sorry, of course I meant .com, fixed.
5.3: Fixed.

External programs:
6.1: Fixed.

Zip archive:
7.1: Still open, on my todo for the next days.

FullScreen Warning Dialog:
8.1: No, I think showing this (for most users annoying) message once should be enough.

View configuration:
9.1: Since 0.5.0b1 DFR uses the default txt editor instead of notepad; only if there is no association for txt files in the registry, it will use "Notepad.exe". Added a check if the program files the registry points to exists. But for me this works fine. Could you please check if you have a valid file association for txt files.

Preview:
10.1: Fixed.
10.2: Still open, on my todo for the next days.
10.3: Still open, on my todo for the next days.

Profiles list:
11.1: Fixed.

And one more:
Fixed.

Nevilles and skatzs last post:
Still open, on my todo for the next days.

That's it for today.

Reply 304 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi wd,

because of this:
Keyboard mapping refuses to work properly for me
and this:
Right-Shift / Backslash Keyboard Problems (SOLVED!)

Later I found:
http://www.libsdl.org/release/changes-1.2.html
(see the first item in "Windows Notes" in "SDL 1.2.10 Release Notes")

So for me it looks like WinDIB is the best. In previous versions I used "DirectX" as default value on XP and below and "WinDIB" as default value on Vista. On my XP desktop and laptop I have no problems with both values. On my new Vista desktop I had some big keyboard problems (not solveable via the keymapper). Changing to WinDIB improved the situation but did not completely solved it. (At last I found the "MCIR 109 Keyboard" problem which was just my problem.) And for completeness: On my Vista laptop also both values work fine.

With 0.5.0 I want to use the same default values for all plattforms (for making support easier) and so I decided to use WinDIB as default value for all plattforms.

I haven't found so much technical documentation about DirectX <-> WinDIB so I don't know any technical reasons for choosing one of the values. Good arguments for or against one setting are always welcome. I simply want to choose a default value which will work for as many as possible users without having to change anything.

Reply 305 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
'Icon manager' caption - may you change it in next release? it should be noun, not verb , I think.
DOSBox installation name 'Default' - I meant installation name itself, presented in installations list by default and not editable. May it be translatable in next release?
File association - of course .txt tied to notepad. BTW dosbox readmes are opened well. Neville have reported this bug also. I have WinXP SP2.

And sorry, slightly changed translation - I've made misprint in HELP MENU (very helpful 🙁 )

Attachments

• Filename
    dfr-5b2-rus.zip
    File size
    69.91 KiB
    Downloads
    184 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 306 of 2280, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

So for me it looks like WinDIB is the best.

Again please leave the defaults unless there's a serious reason to change it.
A few vista users with keyboard problems is not a reason to change away
from the well-tested directx default.

Reply 307 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi wd,

I haven't found any useful information on SDL default values on dosbox.com (google with "windib site:http://www.dosbox.com"), but the SDL 1.2.10 release notes say:

The "windib" video driver is the default now, to prevent problems with certain laptops, 64-bit Windows, and Windows Vista. The DirectX driver is still available, and can be selected by setting the environment variable SDL_VIDEODRIVER to "directx".

(DOSBox 0.72 comes with the even newer SDL release 1.2.12.)

So for me it looks like I'm using the SDL default value. If you really mean "DirectX" is the one and only valid default value I will take this one but some technical reason (link to some description etc.) would be nice.

Reply 309 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi wd,

thank you, that's want I ment with technical reason. Ok, I will use DirectX as default value.

Of course nobody likes writing documentation but: If I would have found more information about WinDIB/DirectX before maybe I would have chosen another default value from the begining on.

And some little status update:
Nearly all bugs fixed. Only missing translation: French. (Just wrote a PM to curieux to hear if he has time and wants to update his translation.)

Reply 310 of 2280, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ok, I will use DirectX as default value.

Why do you need a default value? It's supposed to only be switched if there
are specific problems which are pretty rare anyways.

Of course nobody likes writing documentation

Right and writing docs about things that are not supposed to be used UNLESS
explicitly stated to change them are usually not written.

Reply 311 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alexander!
I found another bug:
In audio player if audiofile is bad/damaged/non-audio-at-all dfend produces infinite sequence of error messages. With videofiles all is ok.
To show some message would be good, but if you don't want to add new strings for now, maybe you may simply stop playng attempt.
And i think you may turn on playing ogg files (Sagura's player with the same dll can play them with installed codec). Without codec we will have situation described above.

Reply 312 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

Ok, I will use DirectX as default value.

Why do you need a default value? It's supposed to only be switched if there

As I understand the only reason is to define what value would be visible in setup dialog when first shown. There is no way to get DOSBox real default value (as I see current behaviour is 'try directx, then on fault try windib').
Maybe adding to dialog one more choice 'DOSBox defined' would be nice solution.

Reply 313 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some little status update:

Importing damaged archive files
Fixed wrong error message.

Previewer not showing captured videos
By debugging the "Update" context menu function I found out D-Fend Reloaded is finding the captured video file and adding it to the list. Also the capture info label is turned to invisible. But for some very strange reason the screen is not updated. Don't know why. By making the videos list view invisible for a short moment seems to solve the problem.

Icon arrangement
I'm sorry, I cannot fix this problem completely. As already said: I'm just using the Delphi TListView component which is a wrapper for the Windows list view control. I have changed the initialisation order at program startup, this should make the list in some view styles at least make look at bit better.

Opening conf files
Fixed. As already mentioned, DFR 0.5.0b2 uses the default txt editor instead of simpily calling "Notepad.exe". For finding out the default editor it looks in the registry. If you are using some custom editor the registry will give a path like "C:\Program files\Notepad++\Notepad++.exe" (and everything is fine) but if you are using Notepad the registry will say "%SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe". Now DFR can translate %SystemRoot% and many more of this pseudo environment strings so in this case also the right file will be started. Additionally I have added a fallback function: If a FileExists() doesn't find the given editor file, DFR will use "Notepad.exe" again.

ScummVM with themes
Also done. Both keys ("themepath" and "gui_theme") are copyed from the main summvm.ini file now. And if there is no main summvm.ini in the ScummVM directory, "themepath=" will be set to the ScummVM directory.

Small things
Default value for SDL_VIDEODRIVER changed to DirectX and new russing translation included.

Language strings
I have already added a new "Extras.IconManager.Caption=" string to all of my internal language files. D-Fend Reloaded 0.5.0 will use this string as dialog caption. I have set this string to the value of "Extras.IconManager=" just without the "...". I know this is not the best value for this string because the menu item is something like "Manage icons..." and the caption should be "Icon manager" and not "Manage icons". But I do not want to ask all translators to update their translations just for this one thing.

Also I will add a "Default=Default" language string in the next release for making the name of the DOSBox installation "Default" translateable.

Playing damaged files etc.
Still on my todo.

Reply 314 of 2280, by Lord_Rius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys, i'm a spanish old games player and i've 2 questions about ScummVM in D-Fend.

1) Why D-Fend don't have in wizard scummvm profile an Save Path option?
ScummVM emulator ask you in wizard for Path and Save Path, why D-Fend saves the save games in ScummVM Emulator root?

2) When i change in ScummVM the filter of a game (3x to hq3x) and i click in Ok and back to filter options the option has reset to default.
D-Fend don't write in .prof file the filter change?
Now if i change the option manually in .prof file, works fine.

Alexander i love your Front End.
Thanks to all.

Reply 315 of 2280, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The things you are asking about have more to do with ScummVM than D-Fend Reloaded. If you have questions about or don't like these defaults you can get more information about them on the forums at scummvm.org. The settings for ScummVM games are stored in the scumvm.ini file. This is usually stored in the user's folder. The default for save games is in the ScummVM folder for al supported games, though it does allow you to specify a different location for each game. ScummVM has its own GUI that you can use. The only reason to add one to a DOSBox frontend is to add these games to the games database that a number of DOSBox frontends are becoming, but then why not add support for Windows games in the database, too.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 316 of 2280, by curieux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Alexander !

I attached the french translation for version 0.5.0b2.

There are two files in the zip archive: for installation & for the application.

Great work, Alexander, DFR is a very rich app, now ! 😀

Thanks

Attachments

• Filename
    french translation 0.5.0b2.zip
    File size
    22.3 KiB
    Downloads
    184 downloads
    File comment
    french translation
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 317 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi skatz,

I've just fixed the playing damaged sound files bug. Additionally the play sound dialog will also open for ogg files now. But on my system the Delphi media player component seems to be not capable of playing ogg files. Because all reported bugs are fixed now, I will made a release candiate build tomorrow. With this you can test playing ogg files on your system.

Hi Lord_Rius,

setting the save path is not supported in D-Fend Reloaded at the moment. I have added it to the wish list for the next version (after 0.5.0). The ScummVM filter settings was not stored in the prof file due to a bug. This has been fixed.

Hi curieux,

thank you very much for your translation.

And one more little news:
Also the main Sourcefore statistics is still turned off, on this page you can see, D-Fend Reloaded has beend downloaded over 75.000 times by now:
http://sourceforge.net/top/topalltime.php?typ … ads&offset=2250

Reply 318 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been at bit fasten than I have thought. So here you can find the release candiate of version 0.5.0:
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/BetaDownload.html

If no new bugs will be reported the only changes from this version to the final version will be the removal of the "release candidate" string from the program caption and the removal of the release candiate info message box from the installer.

Reply 319 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI, ...

Error download link, ...

I whant to test your latest version, but v5.0 RC1 link download error, ...
----------------------------

An error has been encountered in accessing this page.

1. Server: dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net
2. URL path: /D-Fend-Reloaded-0.5.0RC1-Setup.exe
3. Error notes: File does not exist: /home/groups/d/df/dfendreloaded/htdocs/D-Fend-Reloaded-0.5.0RC1-Setup.exe
4. Error type: 404
5. Request method: GET
6. Request query string:
7. Time: 2008-08-17 15:07:57 PDT (1219010877)

Reporting this problem: The problem you have encountered is with a project web site hosted by SourceForge.net. This issue should be reported to the SourceForge.net-hosted project (not to SourceForge.net).

If this is a severe or recurring/persistent problem, please do one of the following, and provide the error text (numbered 1 through 7, above):

Contact the project via their designated support resources.
Contact the project administrators of this project via email (see the upper right-hand corner of the Project Summary page for their usernames) at user-name@users.sourceforge.net
If you are a member of the project that maintains this web content, please refer to the Site Documentation regarding the project web service for further assistance.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand