Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 840 of 2280, by dukeraoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your reply, Alexander.

I did an interesting test. I copied the .prof files from my current installation of D-Fend Reloaded to the "Confs" directory of a fresh installation. The fresh installation loaded the old profs very quickly.

Which leaves me with the conclusion that the contents of the "VirtualHD" folder are to blame. Is D-Fend Reloaded looking at the VirtualHD folder when it starts up? My VirtualHD folder is large - 74.9 GB with 171,980 files and 7,773 folders. Perhaps it is scanning for .prof files in all of the subfolders of the main D-Fend Reloaded directory? That might account for the delay.

Thanks again for working on such a useful program.

Reply 841 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@h32:
All mentioned things are just the default behavior of all NSIS based installers. NSIS has a "root directory installation protection" but not a "program folder without subfolder installation protection". It's not so easy to detect, if the user means the selected directory or if the installer should add some subfolder name automatically, so nearly any installer is doing this at all. Perhaps I could add some warning if the selected installation folder is the program folder.

@dukeraoul:
D-Fend Reloaded is not scanning the games folder on start up. (Why should it?) It's just reading all *.prof files from the "Conf" folder. So the start up time should be independed on how many files you have got in the games folder.

74.9 GB with 171,980 files and 7,773 folders

Wow, that's really big. Until now I thought my 5GB / 50,000 files games folder was quite large.

Perhaps your D-Fend Reloaded triggers some other things by touching the "D-Fend Reloaded" folder; a virus scanner for example? Also Windows seams to have not the best cache strategy for small files. In particular disc buring programs seem to have the ability to mess up the Windows cache completely. (For some unknown reason Windows often things it's a good idea to keep the big files burned to disc in the cache while removing smaller, often used files.) Also right after suspend mode or while checking for updates, Windows itself often uses the complete harddisk bandwidth slowing down all other programs trying to read files. (And slowing down other programs reading many files extremely.)

And some status update:
All bugs reported by skatz are fixed. Only missing language files: Chinese and Italian. (And as already for 0.7 we probabily won't get any Italian translation.) At the moment I'm just improving some smaller things and perhaps I will already add some (as usual hidden because it's not translated) image scaler algorithm switcher.

Reply 842 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, 0.8 Beta 2 "PortableApps package".

Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate Build #7100 French Canadian, [UAC disabled = User Account Control disabled], 8 Gig Ram.

---

1) The "Capture directory section", have 330 directorys
2) The "Confs directory section", have 325 files
3) The "VirtualHD directory section", have 325 directorys

= It seam strange, that +5 directorys just inside "Capture directory section"

= It maybe that some updates, that i have made with my, "PortableApps package" package version, since the 0.7.x version.
-
I will try in some minutes, to made a new installation. = with the latest "PortableApps package", 0.8 beta 2.
---

---------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Last edited by sst on 2009-07-14, 02:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 843 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate Build #7100 French Canadian, [UAC disabled = User Account Control disabled], 8 Gig Ram.

---
(I have edited = "D-FendReloadedPortable\ App\Settings\DFend.ini")
DefLoc=
DefGameLoc=.\VirtualHD\
DefDataLoc=.\GameData\
---
1) What is that empty after the "[DefLoc=]", is it a bug ?
2) Where is the "[DefCaptureLoc=]" ?

Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Reply 844 of 2280, by dukeraoul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your help Alexander - I found out what was causing the slow startup problem.

D-Fend Reloaded starts very slowly when "Restore window size from previous session" is selected under User Interface. It starts normally when other settings, such as "Default window size," are selected. I wonder why...

Reply 846 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@sst:
In the "DefLoc" field in the DFend.ini the base folder name is stored. All other directories are stored relatively to this directory. The "DefLoc" directory itself is stored relatively to the data folder ("C:\Users\you\D-Fend Reloaded" in a normal installation or the program folder in portable or program folder mode). So "DefLoc=" just means: ".\VirtualHD"=<DefLoc relative to data folder>+"\VirtualHD"=<data folder>+"\VirtualHD"+"C:\Users\you\D-Fend Reloaded"+"\VirtualHD".

The capture folder is stored in the field "CaptureDefaultPath". Note that fields are not stored in the DFend.ini if they are set to their default values.

@dukeraoul:
I can confirm this problem and ... tada ... can fix it. It has nothing to do with the number of files or subfolders in any directory. Again its a tree view and list view problem: While changing the window size, tree and the list are reinitialized again and again and again. The tree and list update is suspended while changing the window size now. Starting D-Fend Reloaded in "Restore size mode" with large profile list should be as fast as in any other mode now.

BTW: All languages except Italian are complete now. So you can expect D-Fend Reloaded 0.8RC1 by the end of this week.

Reply 848 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

---

@sst:
In the "DefLoc" field in the DFend.ini the base folder name is stored. All other directories are stored relatively to this directory. The "DefLoc" directory itself is stored relatively to the data folder ("C:\Users\you\D-Fend Reloaded" in a normal installation or the program folder in portable or program folder mode). So "DefLoc=" just means: ".\VirtualHD"=<DefLoc relative to data folder>+"\VirtualHD"=<data folder>+"\VirtualHD"+"C:\Users\you\D-Fend Reloaded"+"\VirtualHD".

The capture folder is stored in the field "CaptureDefaultPath". Note that fields are not stored in the DFend.ini if they are set to their default values.

Ok, ...
---
I have try myself, to made that the "PortableApps package", use directory(s) in the "Data" folder, but with no 100% success.

Then "now", are you able to make it, for the v0.9.x or inside an upper version ?
---
For the "1" added, it's a bug.

1) When i use set relative path from absolute path.
2) When i search for new games.
3) When the same directory(s) name, is already there.
4) When i copy profile(s), in the "Confs" directory, from Windows Explorer.
5) When upgrading to an new version.

= Please use for directory(s), an unique folder(s) name = If its already there, then [dont try to add an "1" after the name], ....
= I only use for each game, only one profile.

---
Also, ...

Can you able to create a global options, that

1) Made all profiles "Capture" directorys, and verify for "Capture" directorys name bug.

2) Made all profiles "GameData"directorys, and verify for "GameData" directorys name bug.

3) Verify all profiles, for errors, ...

If it's not clear, then ask me ,...

---

Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Reply 849 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,

I have try myself, to made that the "PortableApps package", use directory(s) in the "Data" folder, but with no 100% success.

Sorry, but I really do not understand what you are trying to do. There is a ready made PortableApps package right here waiting to be downloaded:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/dfendreloade … e_0.7.0.paf.exe
And for current beta 2 version of DFR 0.8 here:
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/Files/D- … _0.7.10.paf.exe

I don't know what you mean with "'Data' folder". I don't know what you have done with this folder and how you have tried to make a PortableApps package out of this. If you really wan't to make your own PortableApps package, follow the readme in the source code zip package: Copy a new portable installation (made by using the normal installer in portable mode) which has never been started to the folder mentioned in the readme and then follow the steps there. But again: There is no need to do this. I have already created PortableApps versions for 0.7 and also for 0.8b2 which are already ready for download.

For the "1" added, it's a bug.

I still cannot confirm this bug. This is a directory collision protection. If you create a new profile and click the "Create capture folder automatically" button in the profile editor DFR is looking for the best matching, not already existing directory name. (If there is already a directory name entered in the edit field and this directory is already existing, of course the capture folder is not changed at all.)

Not using the same capture folder for different profiles is not a bug. If you do not delete old, unused capture directories before adding the same profile again, DFR has no chance to detect, the old directory is the one you would like to use. For example if you delete a profile from DFR (not by uninstalling the complete game, just deleting the profile) and then add it again (for example by using the scan games folder function) you will of course get a new capture folder (because the old one is still existing and DFR cannot know you want to use this one for the new profile).

1) When i use set relative path from absolute path.

The only thing the "Use relative path names in all profiles" function from the setup dialog does with the capture folder names is:

G.CaptureFolder:=RemoveBackslash(MakeRelPath(G.CaptureFolder,PrgSetup.BaseDir,True));

So the name of the capture folder itself is not changed (and nothing is added) when using this function.

2) When i search for new games.

Could you be a bit more precise please. At the moment I'm understanding this from 2): When you use the "Scan games folder for new games" function all of your (already existing) profiles get damaged in that way that the already set capture folders ".\Capture\MyGame\" are changed to ".\Capture\MyGame1\"? Because the scan function is not touching existing profiles at all, I do not understand how things like this can happen.

Also the directory collision protection is a volitional feature and not a bug, I have made a DFend.ini option to turn it off: Set "IgnoreDirectoryCollisions=1" in the [ProgramSets] section. (But attend, the directory collision protection is only turned of in places where it was used before. In places where it wasn't used - like right after a program update - nothing is changed. If DFR is messing up your system just when installing an update, the only way of solving this is permanently removing DFR.)

1) Made all profiles "Capture" directorys, and verify for "Capture" directorys name bug.

Things like this are not possible. DFR can not determine if you want some other capture folder (perhaps already used by an other profile) for some other profile to be used.

Reply 850 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, 0.8 Beta 2 "D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".

---

Sorry, but I really do not understand what you are trying to do. There is a ready made PortableApps package right here waiting t […]
Show full quote

Sorry, but I really do not understand what you are trying to do. There is a ready made PortableApps package right here waiting to be downloaded:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/dfendr....0.paf.exe
And for current beta 2 version of DFR 0.8 here:
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/Fi...10.paf.exe

I use your ".paf.exe" package.

= I try yesterday, to made that D-Fend Reloaded, have the real PortableApps Package, that use the ["Data" sub-directory name"], for game and capture and confs and parameters. Because your software use only the App sub-directory.

---
For the "Data" folder = [ok, ... your are correct, i try to made "..\Data\Capture" "..\Data\VirtualHD".

Then i will only try to use your "D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package" version. I dont whant to create a directory bug, because that the "PortableApps package", have a directory that have the Data Directory name, not used.

---

The "..\Data" test, have not created the "1 added" bug. I have try the "..\Data" test, with a fresh new installation.

---
--------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Reply 851 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think this is a naming "bug". It happens on mine too. If you create a profile named the same as an already existing capture folder, DFR will automatically create another folder with the added "1" at the end, in case the new game isn't that game. When you are creating the new profile that has an existing capture folder, just go in and delete the "1" before you finish. If you forget and don't edit the appended "1"before you finish with the profile just delete the extra folder(s) and edit the profile then.

Last edited by Anonymous MOS on 2009-07-16, 18:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 853 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@sst:
I'm not using the full PortableApps directory structure because it's not supported by D-Fend Reloaded. D-Fend Reloaded can use the program directory or a subdirectory of the system user data directory for its data. Even if I would rewrite the whole directory management code, all data packages won't work with the PortableApps directory structure. So it's not just selecting "..\data" as the base directory for relative path names. (BTW: ".." is not supported in DFR directory fields.)

@all:
I'm just uploading D-Fend Reloaded 0.8 release candidate 1 to the beta download page. This version will be nearly identical to the final version. If there are no new bugs, I will release 0.8 final next week.

Reply 855 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander & curieux

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, 0.8 ReleaseCandidate 1 "D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".

---
The French Canada and French, language missing translation,

See file attached, to view changes of the French Translation.

---
What it mean, ?

Genre.EnglishNames=
Genre.CustomNames=
Language.EnglishNames=
Language.CustomNames=
---
I see that, for the French Canada = Codepage.Default=858

At each "French Canada.ini", translation, please keep =

Codepage.Default=437
-
Before, (Codepage.Default=858)
---

--------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Attachments

• Filename
    French Canada.ini
    File size
    96.18 KiB
    Downloads
    145 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    frenchtranslationchange.txt
    File size
    2.71 KiB
    Downloads
    157 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    French.ini
    File size
    96.26 KiB
    Downloads
    171 downloads
    File license

Reply 856 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
In setup dialog, page 'User Interface', combobox box for starting window size has wrong texts:
Item for maximize gets translated caption for fullscreen,
Item for fullscreen is left untranslated.

Reply 857 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,
thank you for your updated translations.

Genre.EnglishNames= Genre.CustomNames= Language.EnglishNames= Language.CustomNames= […]
Show full quote

Genre.EnglishNames=
Genre.CustomNames=
Language.EnglishNames=
Language.CustomNames=

This values are used to automatically translate the genre and the language names. For example if I (=German language selected) install one of the example game packages and the genre fields says "Flightsimulation", my D-Fend Reloaded will say "Flugsimulator" etc. Multiple values can be separated by ";".

Hi skatz,
thank you, fixed.

Reply 858 of 2280, by curieux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Alexander

I just download the 0.8 RC1 and updated my previous installation(s).

Unfortunately, all my old profiles have disappeared. 🙁
No more game listed in the main window.

I do not understand, as I updated the software exactly in the same place (directory).

Somebody else has this problem ?
If not, I will do further investigation.

Sorry for the bad news.