Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 880 of 2280, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks Neville. Looking through those default profile options, I found a lot of enumerations that didn't match up to the range of possible values listed in dosbox.conf. Here's what I found, in case it helps:

- the aforementioned sampling rate issues (I just fixed in my own copy by pasting the correct list to every sampling rate setting)
- SB and GUS address range had values not in dosbox.conf and was missing values in dosbox.conf
- SB and GUS interrupt, DMA, and high DMA only had a subset of values from dosbox.conf
- SB opl mode did not have 'none'
- MIDI device did not have 'coremidi' (not that it matters since I think that's Linux-specific)
- joysticktype did not have '4axis_2'

Last edited by HunterZ on 2009-07-30, 19:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 881 of 2280, by EvilHimself

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

Auto creation of conf files
D-Fend Reloaded is only using prof files to store the game settings. The DOSBox conf files are always created on the fly when starting DOSBox. This allows the usage of relative path names for directories which DOSBox could not interpret. When using conf files this would break the option to use DFR portable. Even so if all conf files are updated on each program start (which would quite take a while on large profile lists) they can still contain wrong path names when the USB stick is pluged but DFR not yet started. So not using conf files is not a "Wrong behavior" its this way by design and will not be changed. Additionally thinks like starting helper programs (for setting up special hardware like joysticks etc.) and the zip expanding/repacking cannot be mapped to conf files. The profiles need to be run via DFR to use this profile features.

That's the reason that i asked for "a option" to turn that ON and OFF.
If someone who are not using DFR on portable mode, there is no reason to update the conf files on every program start, but only when the profile is created/edited.
The main reason for that is if someone uses a multi-system front end, like QuickPlay, AtomicFE, emuControlCenter, Maximus Arcade, GameEx, etc, to run DOS games too, is easier to setup, because if you create/change a profile on DFR, its automatically changed on the other FE too.

I probably piked the wrong words about the "wrong behavior", what i trying to say is that the original D-Fend used 2 folders, 1 called "PROFS" that was used to store .prof files and other called "CONFS" were .conf files were stored.
Well, if DFR uses .prof files, nothing more natural than a ".\profs" folder to store that files. that was the behaviour that the original D-Fend used.

I dont know if you like to play others systems too, but if so, a multi-system emu FE is very usefull.

And because DFR is so superb, i hope that some day, you reuse the code to create a multi-system FE based on DFR. That will be awessome! 😀

Here is the link to http://quickplay.sourceforge.net/ QuikPlay if you dont know what i talking about.

Hope you understand what i tried to say. sorry, bad english speaker.

Reply 882 of 2280, by colonny55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello D-Fend developers. Thank you for such great software. Use it all the time. Can't imagine DOSBox without it. I recently upgraded to version 8.0 and have a question regarding its use.

I use screenshots instead of icons in D-Fend's game list window. With the new 8.0 version the screenshots look blurry. The version I used before (7.0) would show the screenshots sharp and nice. How do I get D-Fend to display them sharp again?

Last edited by colonny55 on 2009-07-31, 23:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 884 of 2280, by colonny55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I was not aware this has been discussed before. With your username I was able to quickly find the related posts. I modified the DFend.ini file and added the "ImageFilter=" line to the [ProgramSets] section and was able to fix the problem. Personally I prefer sharp pictures and found values 0 and 7 to work fine for this.

Reply 885 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because of the many bugs (why does they always arise right after a main release and not at a release candidate?) I think we will need a 0.8.1 bugfix release as soon as possible.

Sample rate
I have not changed any default values between 0.8RC1 and 0.8!!! I have made some changes between beta 1 and 2 (also see some pages ago in this thread).

Not all updated DOSBox languages updated by update installer
Confirmed and fixed.

Restore default value button not working
Work's for me. But added some additionally code anyway to make it more robust.

Using fullscreen mode without border together with "minimize on dosbox start" and "restore when DOSBox closes" option
Moving of main window confirmed and fixed.

Default values
Nearly all added, only "coremidi" left out for the already mentioned reasion.

Things todo for 0.8.1
- Activating the GUI for the image scaling setting (this means the translation has to be updated for 0.8.1, sorry)
- Option for auto creating conf files for all profiles (will also need some translation)
- Some more fixes.

Reply 886 of 2280, by T.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the 0.8 release, Alexander.

D-Fend Reloaded is getting better and better every major release. Especially the speed optimization. 😁

I've also found two bugs in the new version.

First:
Sometimes I'm getting an Access Violation when using the search box.

dfend_0.8_bug_1r25g.jpg

Second:
The screenshot preview gives me sometimes wrong resolution informations.

dfend_0.8_bug_2b624.jpg

An update to 0.8.1 is a good idea. 😉

Reply 887 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
1.Sample rate.
Default values in DFR are fine. But script D-Fend-Reloaded-UpdateSetup.nsi has following lines:

WriteINIStr $DataInstDir\Settings\ConfOpt.dat GUSRate value 8000,11025,22050,32000,44100,48000,50000
WriteINIStr $DataInstDir\Settings\ConfOpt.dat OPLRate value 8000,11025,22050,32000,44100,48000,50000
WriteINIStr $DataInstDir\Settings\ConfOpt.dat PCRate value 8000,11025,22050,32000,44100,48000,50000
WriteINIStr $DataInstDir\Settings\ConfOpt.dat Rate value 8000,11025,22050,32000,44100,48000,50000

Make them consistent with DFR internal defaults, please.

2.Restore default value button not working. Please, try following:
a.Run DFR. Open Setup dialog.
b.Select Defaults page. In category combobox choose second (not first) item (cpu type)
c.Add some line at the end of list (e.g '1234')
d.Close dialog by pressing OK.
e.Open dialog again, select same category. You new line is present.
f.Press 'Restore' button (at the right of combobox). In popup menu select 'this page' - you new line still presents.
g.Press 'Restore' button (at the right of combobox). In popup menu select 'all pages' - you new line disappeares.
If you cannot reproduce this, than maybe you've already cured it.

Reply 888 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, v0.8 "D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".

---
The "D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package" v0.8, dont have the sample rate, problem.

-
Memory size cant be zero.

But i have a "0 = zero" memory option.

See file included.
---

--------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Attachments

Reply 889 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

I have fixed many bugs the last days including the wrong screenshot resolution display, the reset to default value (I only tested with the first setting and with this everything was fine) and the memory size default values.

@skatz:
The sample rate default values were already correct in the program in 0.8.0. The wrong 50000 value was only in the installer (as posted in your code section). This one is fixed now, too. A bit more precise now DFR will change the ConfOpts and not the installer anymore. Because DFR can see from the DFend.ini from which version it has been updated it can do the changes to the ConfOpts file more selectively. And as a side result such problems as the one above cannot arise anymore.

@T.B.:
Sorry, I cannot reproduce the access violation. But I can guess what happens: On long game lists DFR is doing a Application.ProcessMessages; during list creation to avoid some strange double task bar entries etc. If the ProcessMessages dispatches the next key press the list gets cleared and recreated while it being recreated. 0.8.1 will use a smarter way of creating the games list. Please check if problem is still present in the next version (beta or RC).

@EvilHimself and colonny55:
Would it be acceptable to you if the two features requested by you (selection of the scaling algorithm and automatic creation of conf files) would be untranslated hidden feature in 0.8.1 (and than official features in 0.9.0 which will be released not before winter this year). If there are no new language strings, I can release 0.8.1 without going though the complete translation procress which is much faster for me and less work for the translators.

Reply 890 of 2280, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:
Thanks Neville. Looking through those default profile options, I found a lot of enumerations that didn't match up to the range o […]
Show full quote

Thanks Neville. Looking through those default profile options, I found a lot of enumerations that didn't match up to the range of possible values listed in dosbox.conf. Here's what I found, in case it helps:

- the aforementioned sampling rate issues (I just fixed in my own copy by pasting the correct list to every sampling rate setting)
- SB and GUS address range had values not in dosbox.conf and was missing values in dosbox.conf
- SB and GUS interrupt, DMA, and high DMA only had a subset of values from dosbox.conf
- SB opl mode did not have 'none'
- MIDI device did not have 'coremidi' (not that it matters since I think that's Linux-specific)
- joysticktype did not have '4axis_2'

Hoping my post didn't slip through the cracks :p

Reply 893 of 2280, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried enabling CVS support in 0.8 and using Gulikoza's dosboxcvs-090704 build (http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/). It's impossible to get Direct3D shaders working with that build because D-Fend isn't appending .fx to the shader filename in the generated dosbox.conf.

Reply 895 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just uploaded D-Fend Reloaded 0.8.1rc1 to the usual beta versions page. Could you please check if all your reported bugs are fixed? If everything is fine, I'm going to release 0.8.1 beginning of next week.

Reply 896 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, v0.8.1.Rc1, "D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".
---

"Screenshots.Info=", have a not translated bug.

Screenshots.Info=Vous pouvez sauvegarder des captures d'écran en pressant Ctrl+F5 dans DOSBox.

See ScreenShot, ...

Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Attachments

Reply 897 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That text is translated in other language files, such as Spanish:

dibujoiob.th.png

I'd say it's a bug in the French translation file. There are many lines to transalte and it's easy to miss something. Whenever I update the Spanish file I often end up fixing typos and unstranslated bits I missed.

Reply 898 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, v0.8.1.Rc1, "D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".
---

>>> From : sst […]
Show full quote

>>> From : sst

"Screenshots.Info=", have a not translated bug.

Screenshots.Info=Vous pouvez sauvegarder des captures d'écran en pressant Ctrl+F5 dans DOSBox.

See ScreenShot, ...

>>> From : Neville […]
Show full quote

>>> From : Neville

That text is translated in other language files, such as Spanish:

user image

I'd say it's a bug in the French translation file. There are many lines to transalte and it's easy to miss something. Whenever I update the Spanish file I often end up fixing typos and unstranslated bits I missed

>>> Respond = I confirm, that there no missing line(s), in the translation file "French Canada.ini" and "French.ini".

(Look below, to a clear respond, ...)

---
The English text, only do that each time D-Fend Reloaded start. After all data is loaded, no translation text problem, of the screenshot section = it mean that is in French, French Canada.
---
The bug is not inside, translation file(s). It's a bug of, not use of the translation, of the line "Screenshots.Info=", when starting the software. After all configurations game file loaded, the text (in the screenshot section, like the screenshot is in French).

Please try, with > 200 games. (With only 1 game, it's displayed to fast to see that bug)

I have made, an other sceenshot, ... See the screenshot, ...

Sylvain St-Amand (sst)

Attachments

• Filename
    AnOtherSecrrenShot.jpg
    File size
    90.57 KiB
    Downloads
    160 downloads
    File comment
    AnOtherSecrrenShot
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 899 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
In DFR 0.8.1RC1 autoupdating of default values list does not work. Function UpdateUserDataFolderAfterUpgrade exits immediately for portable or programdir mode. It doesn't copy user data files as it should, but it doesn't update another settings also.