VOGONS

Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 940 of 2280, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

0.8.2rc2 is good for me now, much faster there was a little delay (about 5-10 seconds) on a P4 1.6Ghz but nothing unreasonable, I havent tried it on a PIII yet but I assume it will be fine.

Reply 941 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just uploaded the third release candiate of D-Fend Reloaded 0.8.2. This should fix the splitter problems. I really hope that now everything is fine and I can release the final version of 0.8.2 by the beginning of next week.

Reply 942 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "v0.8.2Rc3", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".
-
I have found a translation bug =

[Videos.Info= ], inside "French Canada" and "French", translation have to be changed.

Videos.Info=Dans DOSBox, vous pouvez démarrer/arrêter l'enregistrement vidéo en pressant Ctrl+Alt+F5.

Then the correct text is =

Videos.Info=Vous pouvez démarrer/arrêter l'enregistrement vidéo en pressant Ctrl+Alt+F5 dans DOSBox.

-
Alexander = Please change it at your side, ... (for the moment, no other change have to be made in "French Canada" and "French" Translation)
-

---

Reply 943 of 2280, by static-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. Trying D-Fend Reloaded for the first time, quite impressive.

Have a few suggestions
1) It would be nice if game .conf files were based off a default config template, always, with the option to override for behaviour specific to the game. Ie. The game would use a default dosbox config.ini, except for fields which have been overridden in the game's config. That way it would be easy to change all game profiles after the fact, just by changing the default config.ini.
2) Being able to have multiple genres would be nice, perhaps with a ; seperator such as "Adventure;RPG"

These are pretty minor. Great job on this app.

Reply 944 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just updated the Videos.Info language strng in the French and the French (Canada) translations.

I have also improved the repositories editor a bit and added an option for direct activation of a downloaded language file to the package manager. But no changes to the official features, so there can be no new bugs in any official feature between 0.8.2rc3 and 0.8.2. So D-Fend Reloaded 0.8.2 is complete now. Now I will make the different installation packages and update the homepage. The new version should be downloadable by monday.

1) It would be nice if game .conf files were based off a default config template, always, with the option to override for behaviour specific to the game. Ie. The game would use a default dosbox config.ini, except for fields which have been overridden in the game's config. That way it would be easy to change all game profiles after the fact, just by changing the default config.ini.

I will not add anything like this because this would mean rewriting the whole profile database code. By now there is no connection between the template and the profile anymore after creating the profile from the template. Additionally there is a powerful multiple profiles editor which easily allows to changes multiple profiles at anytime.

2) Being able to have multiple genres would be nice, perhaps with a ; seperator such as "Adventure;RPG"

Interessting idea. I will think about it for version 0.9.

Reply 945 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

D-Fend Reloaded 0.8.2 is available for download now. I hope this will be the last version of the 0.8.x series. And with this the 0.9 feature wish list is officially opened.

Reply 947 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "v0.8.2", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".
-
I have a request for the, V0.9x

= Rename each screenshot of a game, to have the name of the game. Because if i made a screenshot, of a game, it save the name of the ".exe", like "intro_000.png", "loader_000.png", install_000.png", "install_001.png".

Then for "Winter Games 1991",
------------------------------------

It look like (in example)= "intro_000.png", "loader_000.png", "install_000.png", "install_001.png", ...

But with a new function,
----------------------------

"Winter Games 1991_000.png", "Winter Games 1991_001.png", "Winter Games 1991_002.png", "Winter Games 1991_003.png", ...

Or

"Winter Games 1991 - intro_000.png", "Winter Games 1991 - loader_000.png", "Winter Games 1991 - install_000.png", "Winter Games 1991 - install_001.png", ...
-
Did it seem difficult, to be made ? Also can it be made ?
---

No bug to report, ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 949 of 2280, by curieux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Alexander

I'm late, but this is the translation for 0.8.2 in French.

A little suggestion: in the translation panel, please change the text background color (or text color) of the untranslated text.
By the way, when I edit a text in that panel, there is no text cursor (it in invisible).
It would make translator's life easier, thanx 😀

A little error in english:
"Could not activte the XML document %s." : missing "a".
In "Messages" / "CouldNotActivateXML"

Attachments

• Filename
    French_0.8.2.zip
    File size
    28.12 KiB
    Downloads
    192 downloads
    File comment
    french 0.8.2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 950 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By now I have started working on 0.9b1 and have added the option to rename screenshots and the translation editor improvements to my todo.

BTW: Thank you curieux for the updated language file. I will use it as the base for the 0.9 language file and have uploaded it to the experimental package system (so it is downloadable via File|Import|Download now). But there is no need to translate 0.x.y (y>0) versions, because the string list between 0.x.0 and 0.x.y will not change. The 0.x.y versions are just bug fix versions. The small number of new lines in the 0.x.y language files are just for the inofficial features and will be officially introduced in the NewLanguageStrings.txt of 0.(x+1).

Reply 952 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
curieux wrote:

in the translation panel, please change the text background color (or text color) of the untranslated text.
By the way, when I edit a text in that panel, there is no text cursor (it in invisible).

On my system the contrast between the background color (of the first two columns) and the text color is no problem, but anyway I have made the background a bit brighter.

I cannot reproduce the invisible cursor problem. I'm using a Delphi default control (TStringGrid) which is using some Windows default edit component. So if the cursor is invisible there, it is very likely it will be invisible in other edit fields.

Reply 953 of 2280, by segamiga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm literally having too much fun with this. 😀 I always liked how wii channels and virtual console games worked. Being able to run the title directly without even bothering with its original platform is a great idea so I decided to rebuild this idea on PC. Luckily this great frontend allows this. So far I'm running sega master system, mega drive, amiga, dos and windows games in D-Fend reloaded perfectly.

However I have two problems / requests

1- I played with the options a bit too much and managed to disable both the menu bar and the toolbar. If you disable the menu bar and untick all the toolbar buttons afterwards they both disappear leaving no way to restore them. I know current interface is already intended to be idiot proof but it appears human idiocy knows no limits. :p Thinking about this further, maybe you may want to keep an option to leave everything, including the menu bar and toolbar disabled (to be reverted by a key combination) It's an unintended feature after all.

2- Even as 256 pixels wide, static icons are dull. Can we perhaps have some sort of slideshow option that animates (fades) between available icons for each game? A "video view" option in game list window can also work. I don't mind making seperate video files for games. Surely it may cause a performance hit if all the videos decide to play by themselves so maybe the one selected / under the mouse pointer can play while the others simply display their first frame.

Thanks for this tool and good luck in next versions.

Attachments

• Filename
    dfend.jpg
    File size
    314.84 KiB
    Downloads
    163 downloads
    File comment
    a cropped part of my d-fend reloaded list. notice how no interface element is accessible
    File license

Reply 954 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have some request for the, V0.9x

=

1) When "Check profiles for not existing files"

FreeDOS (Boot-Image)
The extra directory "V:\Emulateurs\OS Emulateurs\DOS Emulateurs\D-FendReloadedPortable\App\VirtualHD\FDBOOT\[13][10][13][10][13][10]\" does not exist.

It have added that = [13][10], = before [13][10][13][10].

I dont know if it will add again an other = [13][10], at the end of the directory ?

See file attached = "Strange Directory for FDBoot"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) The "Automatically detect and setup games"

Can you add an option, to select "Installation", program.

= For the moment i have just = select "Program File"

3) I have again the "Larry 2" detection, bug. = I dont have "Larry game(s)".

It do that = inside "Automatically detect and setup games", for "Space Quest 2". (It seem not fixed).

4) P.S. = Demo installation package, add "~100 new profile". Then when some Forum post of user, that say that it have 200 game(s) profiles, it not have just game(s), but also a lot of demo(s), inside the profiles directory section.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5) I have try to made from scratch, the re-installation of D-Fend Reloaded, ... = It work, and now i dont add the demo packages.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6) On your website, each downloadable game packages, have profiles deprecated. The game are correct, but you use old profiles. Did it seem = easy or complicated, to remade profiles, for each games, of your downloadable game package.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• Filename
    Strange Directory for FDBoot.jpg
    File size
    140.24 KiB
    Downloads
    158 downloads
    File comment
    Strange Directory for FDBoot
    File license

Reply 957 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also I've been very busy this week I have managed to do some work on D-Fend Reloaded:

1. Hiding all toolbar icons at the same time (without turning off the "View toolbar" switch) is not possible anymore now. Pressing "ok" in the program options dialog will show a warning and the dialog won't close. When starting DFR and all icons are off, the run button will be turned on. Additionally turning off menubar and toolbar at the same time in the program options dialog is not possible anymore. (In 0.8.2 the menubar was just automatically reactivated when closing the dialog in this case. Now there is also a warning message.)

2. Loading larger games lists will be much faster now.

3. The extra directories and extra files records (directories page of the profile editor) got damaged when using the "Convert absolute to relative paths" function in the program options dialog. (In this case the [13][10] etc. appeared in the list.)

4. Now there can be multiple values for keys like genre etc. (divided by ";"). The tree structure and the filter by meta information functions will interpret them as separate values.

Now to the not so good news:

1. Showing videos in the games list is far out of the things I can do.

2. Having a third program file named "Installation program" besides "Start program" and "Start setup": This can be done via some extra program file. Because this also won't help installing games, I will not make a third hard coded program file per game. For the future I'm think of some real installation support, but this is still a far way idea perhaps for version 1.0.

3. "Larry 2" <-> "Space Quest 2": At the moment I have not got any "Space Quest 2" auto setup template, so DFR cannot detect Space Quest 2. The additionally checksums stored in the "Larry 2" template are only used if there are more then one matching auto setup templates. (To avoid the rejection of a template just because the user has a bit different version of the game.) I would suggest the following solution: You (sst) make a auto setup template for Space Quest 2 and send it to me and I will add it to the default auto setup data base.

4. Old profiles in demo packages: Yes, the profiles in the demo packages are made with a D-Fend Reloaded version <0.8 and made for DOSBox 0.72. But this is no problem: D-Fend Reloaded 0.8.x automatically fixes all profiles when editing or executing them.

Ok, that's it for the moment. The next feature on my todo is the "Rename multiple screenshots" function. If I will have enough time for the last open todos, I think I should be able to release 0.9.0b1 by the end of this month.

Reply 958 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

"Space Quest 3" =

3. "Larry 2" <-> "Space Quest 2": At the moment I have not got any "Space Quest 2" auto setup template, so DFR cannot detect Space Quest 2. The additionally checksums stored in the "Larry 2" template are only used if there are more then one matching auto setup templates. (To avoid the rejection of a template just because the user has a bit different version of the game.) I would suggest the following solution: You (sst) make a auto setup template for Space Quest 2 and send it to me and I will add it to the default auto setup data base.

3) I have again the "Larry 2" detection, bug. = I dont have "Larry game(s)".

It do that = inside "Automatically detect and setup games", for "Space Quest 3". (It seem not fixed).

Respond =

It seem the real game problem is, "Space Quest 3", not "Space Quest 2". 😦
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have try to made, the detection of "Space Quest 3".

But after some test (using just the game "Space Quest 3" and just the SQ3 directory inside VirtualHD) and (a new installation of [D-Fend Reloaded, "v0.8.2", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package]") = it detect "Space Quest 4" or "Larry 2", instead of "Space Quest 3" = then it will be difficult to made, a setup template of "Space Quest, game(s)".
-
Also, "Space Quest 3", have several version of the game itself. (not the same package, and installer). = I have try to download the game by internet, and some version of "Space Quest 3", have not the same installer, ... and not the same "SQ3.BAT".
-

Reply 959 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,

having exact auto setup templates for Space Quest 2 and 3 is no problem. (Right after installation DFR only knows Space Quest 4 and 5.) Manually create profiles for Space Quest 2 and 3, open the templates editor (Extras|Templates) and choose on the "Auto setup templates" Add|Template from profile. Select the two Space Quest profiles to be added as auto setup templates. Double click the first new Space Quest auto setup template (which opens the template profile editor dialog), go to the "Additional checksums" page and add checksums for some Space Quest unique files from the Space Quest program directory. Repeat this for the second new Space Quest profile. With this D-Fend Reloaded should be able to recognise Space Quest 4 and 5.

And a little status update:

• Renaming all screenshots or sounds or videos from the context menu including a dialog to choose the filename scheme: Done.
  • Making archive file mounts from normal directory mounts and the other way round with just one click: 90% done (only language strings and automatically changing of the extra program files is to be done).