VOGONS

Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1160 of 2280, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I hope this wasn't mentioned before... If I change CD Volume in any profile (with mixer in D-Fend 0.9.1), it doesn't change volume in Dosbox, it's still 100:100. You probably use bad command line. Changing volume for other devices works correctly.

Reply 1161 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I know the cause for this problem. (I have never played a game with CD audio in DOSBox so I haven't tested this.) Up to DFR 0.9.1 in the [autoexec] section of the conf file first the "mixer" commands were run and then then "mount" commands. Perhaps "mixer" with device "cdaudio" does not work before the CD drive or image is mounted. In 0.9.2 this two sections in the [autoexec] section will be swaped.

Reply 1163 of 2280, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it is correct.
the audio control for the cdaudio is only presented after mounting an image

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 1165 of 2280, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is another thing... Little Big Adventure 2 is both Win and Dos game, but it has one .exe. If I run LBA2 in D-Fend Reloaded, it keeps noticing me that this is game for Windows. But it works flawlessly in Dosbox. Maybe you could make some exception for this game? 😀

Reply 1166 of 2280, by wohali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just installed D-Fend Reloaded, 0.9.1, on my Vista laptop. Every time I run it I get a crash to desktop immediately, with an EReadError in DFend.exe. Has anyone else seen this? A search of the forums turned up nothing.

Reply 1167 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Paar:
D-Fend Reloaded 1.0 will have a checkbox on the profile page (main page) of the profile editor to disable this warnings. And not to confuse the user the option will only become visible on DOSBox profiles when selecting an Windows game or setup file. Because there are no new language strings in 0.9.n, n>0, this new function cannot become an official feature in 0.9.2 - but will be available as a hidden option.

(BTW: 0.9.2rc1 is very near.)

@wohali:
If you could give me some more information, maybe I could help you. If 0.9.1 is not your first D-Fend Reloaded version, you can try to rename your complete profile directory (C:\users\<you>\D-Fend Reloaded). If D-Fend Reloaded is starting now, something on your profile is damaged. (Most likely the cache files in the "AutoSetup" or "Confs" folder. You can just delete this cache files.) Otherwise I have no idea at the moment.

Reply 1168 of 2280, by wohali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@alexander: Unfortunately this is my first install, ever. It just won't run at all. I know DOSBOX runs fine, but I've never tried a front end before. I'm trying your program because it came highly recommended... I tried running the portable version, too; it has the same error.

Do you have any sort of debug build I could run to get you a better logfile?

Reply 1169 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just uploaded the first release candidate of D-Fend Reloaded 0.9.2 to the beta download page. Please test this build; you can find a list of the new functions and fixed bugs on the download page and in the changelog inside DFR.

I have also done a lot of 1.0 work during the last month. DFR 0.9.2rc1 already has (hidden) more than 90% of the new 1.0 features. Because I do not change or add any language strings in the service releases (0.9.n, n>0) and also because the new features are not yet fully tested, all of the new 1.0 features are still turned off. They can be turned on the usual way. (In particular the new installation support feature makes adding games that need to be installed first very easy now.) You are invited to also test this 1.0 features.

@wohali:
If using a fresh portable installation (or a fresh unpacked zip package what is just the same) the only cause I can imagine for an EReadError is the runtime library is not able to load the resources (dialogs etc.) from the program file. On first run there are no binary files to be read by my code so the EReadError (which is a binary stream reading error) is most likely to occure in the run time library. Perhaps your DFend.exe is damaged? Anyway I have added a startup logging feature in 0.9.2rc1. To activate startup logging create an empty "DFR-Log.txt" file in the program folder of the DFR installation (not recommended on non portable installations because on Vista/7 a normal program has no right to write to it's own program folder). After running DFend.exe you can see in this file what exactly happens and where the startup process fails.

Reply 1170 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
Some words about Games Explorerer integration:
Here is MSDN article about Game Exporer Tasks and where you should put shortcuts in:
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms687246(VS.85).aspx

You may choose 'current user' or 'all users' installation, but use the same APPDATA/LOCALAPPDATA values in both scripts GameExplorer.nsh and CommonTools.nsi

Reply 1171 of 2280, by wohali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the debug support. Unfortunately, the file is empty! I tried it both from a portable install (x:\D-FendReloadedPortable) and in the standard install (C:\Program Files\D-Fend Reloaded). I ran the standard install using Administrator rights, and tried both admin and non-admin rights for the Portable exe. I tried placing DFR-Log.txt at the top level, and also inside the App\ subdirectory.

The exact message that appears is:

Exception EReadError in module DFend.exe at 00026ECF. Fehler beim Lesen von TreeView.Indent: Systemressourcen erschopft.

Does this error text help more?

Reply 1172 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In a normal Windows Vista/7 installation both folders $APPDATA\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\ and $LOCALAPPDATA\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\ exist. The existence of the $LOCALAPPDATA games explorer folder is used only to check if Games Explorer is available in the current Windows version. All installation/uninstallation is made by the GameExplorer.nsh script (from the NSIS homepage) and is using the $APPDATA folder. So using the $LOCALAPPDATA and the $APPDATA folders in the scripts should be no problem but anyway I have changed $LOCALAPPDATA to $APPDATA.

"Exception EReadError in module DFend.exe at 00026ECF. Fehler beim Lesen von TreeView.Indent: Systemressourcen erschopft." means "Out of system resources while trying to read the TreeView.Indent property from the resource data in DFend.exe." If the DFend.exe is not damaged there is probably something wrong on your system. The little D-Fend Reloaded program usualy should not be able to consume all of your system resources. Sorry, I don't know how to help you with this.

Reply 1173 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just released D-Fend Reloaded 0.9.2rc2. There are only some small fixes and improvements since 0.9.2rc1. If everything is fine with this release, D-Fend Reloaded 0.9.2 will be out by the end of next week.

(Again: 0.9.2rc2 already contians many of the features for 1.0, see changelog for 1.0 on the beta versions page, as hidden function. Please also test this features. The current release is a bit of a 1.0beta0.)

Reply 1174 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Alexander

I use your = D-Fend Reloaded, "v0.9.2rc2", D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have found that =

1) On the D-Fend Reloaded, "v0.9.2rc2" title window = display ReleaseCandidate 1.

For your information, the .exe date is 2010-3-14

---

2) [Since i use the PortableApps package, i use the D-Fend Reloaded software on a single external media. But that portable installation, is used on severals computers. Then, on some computer screen , i am not able to set bigger than 60hz, and other 75hz.] Then my question is = it can made problem, with the screen that dont go higher than 60hz, and i have set fullscreen game of the portable version, but run it before on the other computer that have a computer screen that have max 75hz.

P.S. let me know if DosBox and D-Fend Reloaded manage screen hz, like 59hz 60hz 72hz 75hz ? It's for fullscreen Dos game.

---

Reply 1175 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,

1) On the D-Fend Reloaded, "v0.9.2rc2" title window = display ReleaseCandidate 1.

Sorry, just forgot to change the caption. From the exe file properties you can see the build numbers has increased from rc1 to rc2, so the exe in the 0.9.2rc2 paf package is rc2.

let me know if DosBox and D-Fend Reloaded manage screen hz, like 59hz 60hz 72hz 75hz ? It's for fullscreen Dos game.

Neither DOSBox nor D-Fend Reloaded can change the screen refresh rate. This is completely due to the graphics driver of the operating system. But DOSBox may change the used display resolution when running in fullscreen. If the graphics driver has setup different refresh rates for different resolutions this can cause a change in the refresh rate.

And finally some good news:
I have got an updated version of the Italian translation so all translation will be up to date in 0.9.2 again.

Reply 1176 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just released D-Fend Reloaded 0.9.2 (see changelog and download page). 0.9.2 will be the last version of the 0.9.x series. The next release will be 1.0b1. Because 0.9.2 already contains many 1.0 features as hidden functions you are also aready invited to test this functions.

Reply 1177 of 2280, by MasterGrazzt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just want to let you know about something kind of odd:

I had turned down Hardware Acceleration via going into Display Properties, clicking on the Settings tab, clicking on the Advanced button, clicking on the Troubleshoot tab and then turning down the Hardware Acceleration slider.

I did this to play Icewind Dale 2, as that game screws up if you have an NVIDIA GeForce 8 series card, or better.

Anyway, my point is that this made D-Fend not work. Every game I tried to open, the cursor would briefly change into an hourglass, as if it was loading, and then literally nothing happened. I checked the task manager to see if DOSBox was running but it wasn't, and I thought "Well I guess D-Fend is screwed up," so I tried updating to 0.9.2. Did nothing. After that I was going to post about it when I thought "What settings have I changed?" and remembered the acceleration thing. Tried that and by dumb luck, that was the problem. Pretty weird.

Reply 1178 of 2280, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@MasterGrazzt, did you actually try running DOSBox by itself instead of D-Fend with the Hardware Acceleration lowered? It doesn't make much sense that D-Fend would cause it... DOSBox on Windows is based on SDL so it should try and use DirectX, therefore it makes sense if DOSBox doesn't boot on low/no hardware acceleration. Also check the STDOUT.TXT file in the DOSBox folder for an error log, delete it then run DOSBox if there is something in there then it is getting past the start-up phase and might list a DirectX error.

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 1179 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Alexander,

I just received a question from a fan on the D-Fend Facebook page. "Is D-Fend Reloaded Open Source? What programming language is it written in?"

I wasn't sure about that one.

Thanks!

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Windows 11 Home, 64-bit