Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1441 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

I use = D-Fend Reloaded, "1.1 RC 3", PortableApps package.

@Alexander

1) Ubuntu 10.10 x64, Wine 1.3.14, D-Fend Reloaded "1.1 RC 3" PortableApps package

Ok, ... now the screenshot section, is fixed, ...

2) Windows 7 SP1 x64

No problem to report.

3) I have time today, to try to made "D-Fend Reloaded PortableApps package." 100% Portable. = i think that there is a way to made it 100% Portable, that will use the "Data Folder". (For the moment it will be an experimental build).

Reply 1442 of 2280, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ Alexander

Note:
* Under every East-Asian version of Windows (specifically Korean, Chinese, and Japanese version of Windows, even under Windows 7), installer always provides an error message that cannot verify filename.
Filename should consist of only English characters and numbers to prevent the issue.
* My build and h-a-l-9000's build have some different variables in dosbox.conf compared to the official release of DOSBox, but you missed something which needs to be reflected to D-Fend setting. Please look through some explanations of dosbox.conf in my build.
ex)
overscan, cputype(somewhat different values), memsize (hacked the limit to 127), machines (like vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe)
linewise, char9, multiscan in [render]

What about adding "custom" to pixelshader options to specify filename of ps effect? (because anyone can create his or her own .fx file)
* As for fullresolution, it would be better to show "desktop (0x0)" rather than "0x0"

Reply 1443 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The DFR PortableApps package is PortableApps compatible. There is only one guideline it can not implement: PortableApps says the data files directory has to be no subfolder of the program files directory. A PortableApps program should use this directory structure:

ProgramRootFolder\ProgramFilesFolder
ProgramRootFolder\DataFilesFolder

But DFR uses this structure:

ProgramRootFolder\ProgramFilesFolder\DataFilesFolder

DFR is running fine as a PortableApps program and a user using the DFR PortableApps package won't notice any difference but of course it's not "100% compatible to the specification". - And will never be: To stay compatible with the exe file games packages, this structure is needed. If I would change the directory structure to match the PortableApps requirements, all exe file packages which many users use to backup their games would become incompatible with DFR. So again: I won't change DFR to implement this PortableApps rule. It's not needed to make DFR run as a PortableApps program but it would break compatibility to other things.

Reply 1445 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

I use = D-Fend Reloaded, "1.1", PortableApps package.

@Alexander

1)

The DFR PortableApps package is PortableApps compatible. There is only one guideline it can not implement: PortableApps says the […]
Show full quote

The DFR PortableApps package is PortableApps compatible. There is only one guideline it can not implement: PortableApps says the data files directory has to be no subfolder of the program files directory. A PortableApps program should use this directory structure:

ProgramRootFolder\DataFilesFolder

But DFR uses this structure:

ProgramRootFolder\ProgramFilesFolder\DataFilesFolder

DFR is running fine as a PortableApps program and a user using the DFR PortableApps package won't notice any difference but of course it's not "100% compatible to the specification". - And will never be: To stay compatible with the exe file games packages, this structure is needed. If I would change the directory structure to match the PortableApps requirements, all exe file packages which many users use to backup their games would become incompatible with DFR. So again: I won't change DFR to implement this PortableApps rule. It's not needed to make DFR run as a PortableApps program but it would break compatibility to other things.

Respond = Edit: Ok, ... thanks for the information, ...

2) For the v1.1 Final = Tested and no bug found. Tested inside Ubuntu and Windows.

Reply 1446 of 2280, by Innomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Portable install, direct paths.

Windows 7 x64 ultimate

Add from template, "Normal" and "complex" Eye of the beholder 2, keyboard (u for attack and function keys for char select, etc) still won't fully work, long standing issue, possibly dosbox's or my game instance's problem.

Won't stay full-screened when pointed at default included dosbox installation. Will stay if pointed at "custom" installation, same dosbox version. (0.74)

I'm confident it can be fixed with a settings change, I thought you would want to know anyway.

Feature request: Some kind of game information import feature like some other front ends have?

No response required, just sharing.

Reply 1447 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Innomen,

sorry for the late answer but I'm very busy at the moment.

Add from template, "Normal" and "complex" Eye of the beholder 2, keyboard (u for attack and function keys for char select, etc) still won't fully work, long standing issue, possibly dosbox's or my game instance's problem.

If the keyboard is not working correctly, you can change the "Use scan codes" option on the keyboard section of the profile editor or try to reassign keys using the keyboard mapper inside DOSBox.

Won't stay full-screened when pointed at default included dosbox installation. Will stay if pointed at "custom" installation, same dosbox version. (0.74)

Maybe you have changed the SDL video driver for the default DOSBox installation. See "More settings for this DOSBox installation" on the DOSBox page of the program settings dialog.

Feature request: Some kind of game information import feature like some other front ends have?

You can download game information from moby games from the game information page of the profile editor. If you need some other import option, I would need some more information.

Reply 1448 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

@Alexander

No news since 2 weeks

Edit:

1) Did "D-Fend Reloaded" will have new version(s) after that stable v1.1, or no others new release(s). ?

2) My translation is not perfect =

Must be "icône", not "icon", not "icone".

Grammatically verified,

See file included, ...

Attachments

• Filename
    French.ini
    File size
    134.37 KiB
    Downloads
    275 downloads
    File comment
    French Translation
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    French Canada.ini
    File size
    134.33 KiB
    Downloads
    287 downloads
    File comment
    French Canada , French Québec Translation
    File license
Last edited by sst on 2011-03-31, 16:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1449 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi sst,

it's just one month since D-Fend Reloaded 1.1 was released and you already think the project is canceled? The truth is we just have done good work beta testing 1.1. So it looks like we do not need any service releases this time.

I haven't really started working on 1.2 but I have already fixed one little bug in my internal version:
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/KnownBugs.html
At the moment I'm thinking what to do in 1.2.

Thank you for your language files update. I have added them to my development version, too.

Reply 1450 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

@Alexander

it's just one month since D-Fend Reloaded 1.1 was released and you already think the project is canceled? The truth is we just have done good work beta testing 1.1. So it looks like we do not need any service releases this time.

Repond =

Edit:

Thanks for your reply, ...

The word "canceled", that i have used in my last forum message is not correct. = I only want to ask if a new version will be made after stable v1.1, or no others new release(s).

Good news, that you will be made new version(s), ...

Last edited by sst on 2011-03-31, 16:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1451 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

@Alexander

Did you know a way inside D-Fend Reloaded, to set the desktop 8 bit or 16 bit. because i have some old games, that work on windows. but it need desktop = 8 bit or 16 bit, but my Windows 7 x64 desktop is in 32 bit. Did it's normal inside DosBox and D-Fend Reloaded.

Reply 1452 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Alexander!

Just wanted to pass along this one. I thought it would be nice to have some appreciation once in a while.

From Daniel Gimmer on the Facebook fan page: "Just want to thank you for the awesome Job you guys are doing with D-Fend Reloaded. It's definitely the best thing on the planet to organize all the old little diamonds from my youth! Thank you and keep it going 😀"

😀

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Windows 11 Home, 64-bit

Reply 1453 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's nice to hear.

At the moment my daytime job takes nearly all of my time so I haven't got time to work on D-Fend Reloaded. But things will get better again in the next time. So I think we can already start collecting feature ideas for 1.2. At the moment my list of ideas waiting to be implemented still is nearly empty.

Reply 1454 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

we can already start collecting feature ideas for 1.2

1) Made a new look of the section "main game list section", to be more like graphics style year 201x.

a) The new style of progress bar. = like severals selectable circle or square.
b) Texts and graphics that have, more colors and text ClearType, etc ...
c) When D-Fend Reloaded is in Windowed mode = Can it be made a "Perfect text display auto-resize" mode. In example = When new Windows desktop video-mode of ~1920x1080 and up is used, the texts in D-Fend Reloaded is sometime not readable.

2) "Screenshot, Video, ..." section can have the new style of progress bar, = like severals selectable circle or square.

3) Can add some files, by drag-and-drop in the section = "Data Folder".

---

This is for the moment, what i have think to be added, ...

Reply 1455 of 2280, by Varka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This has probably been answered already, but I've been searching for some time and can't find any info on this.

I"m using a DOSbox build that support MT-32 emulation, but D-Fend Reloaded 1.1.0 won't allow me to select mt32 as the midi type.

Anyone know how to get this to work?

Reply 1456 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ... Varka

@Varka

This has probably been answered already, but I've been searching for some time and can't find any info on this.

I"m using a DOSbox build that support MT-32 emulation, but D-Fend Reloaded 1.1.0 won't allow me to select mt32 as the midi type.

Anyone know how to get this to work?

See the two screenshots included, ...

1a) You have to go to "D-Fend Reloaded" menu "File | Program Options".
1b) You have to select advanced option.
1c) You have to go to DosBox CVS features, and select the mt32 checkbox.

Attachments

• Filename
    HowToSelectMT32Part1.jpg
    File size
    123.86 KiB
    Downloads
    250 downloads
    File comment
    How To Select mt32 Part1
    File license
  • Filename
    HowToSelectMT32Part2.jpg
    File size
    119.15 KiB
    Downloads
    251 downloads
    File comment
    How To Select mt32 Part2
    File license

Reply 1457 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some little status update:
I have received about 300 new auto setup templates last week. Additional some minor bugs are fixed and a new DOSZip version is added to my internal development version. I hope I will have a bit more time to work on D-Fend Reloaded from next month on.

@sst:
Changing the overall look&feel without updating (which costs money) my development environment is not so easy. But the toolbar icons etc. can be changed very easily - even without restarting the program. So if anyone wants to make a nicer icon set, this would be very welcome.

In my eyes changing the progress bar to some browser like working indicator would be a step backwards. (The user would have less information when using an indicator instead of a progress bar.) But anyway perhaps somewhere else an indicator could be used. - But I would need graphics for this.

1c) I'm using 1920x1200 and have no problems. Could you please explain this a bit more detailed?

3) Adding file by drag&drop to the data folder (and its subfolders) is already possible since long time.

Reply 1458 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

@Alexander:

1c) I'm using 1920x1200 and have no problems. Could you please explain this a bit more detailed?

Respond = The text is small, but i use now more than Font size "9", "10" is better.

Also i cant select Bold for normal text = only Favorite have bold.

Also, ... = Please add "Add icons inside subdirectory(s)" and "Manage Icons inside sub-directory(s) of [D-FendReloadedPortable\App\IconLibrary]". "Add icons inside a .zip that is inside = [D-FendReloadedPortable\App\IconLibrary]".

For the moment, i have to place all icons inside [D-FendReloadedPortable\App\IconLibrary], not in a sub-directory(s).

Reply 1459 of 2280, by dosmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

D-Fend really offers nearly everything one could hope for in an emulator frontend, but - hard enough - lately I managed to find something, that I'm mising:

For some games I'd really like to have the option to launch them with different sets of parameters. Maybe the "Additional Program Files" option could be enhanced in that it would allow to take parameters to the .exe files. Right now this doesn't seem to be possible.

Short example:

"X:y\z.exe -a -b" results in "X:y\z.exe -a -b not found" since the whole string is treated as the filename to start. Of course it's possible to work around this by writing batch files and calling these, but that's not the perfect solution.

Without knowing exactly how this functionality is implemented, I'd say this "issue" should be easy to fix by adding another column to the "Additional Program Files"-Dialog that would allow for entering parameters. Or by adding another option similar to the "Additional Program Files" dialog which would allow to call the main application with various parameter sets.