D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 2100 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

@Ranthalion75:
And the answer is just the same as the last time: This is due to the limitations of the runtime library. I have no control over the alignment of the screenshots.

Thanks Alexander! 😀

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Windows 11 Home, 64-bit

Reply 2101 of 2280, by Beorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Alexander,

I'm using D-Fend Reloaded to play the Krynn series. I ran into some problems importing my characters from Champions of Krynn (COK) to Death Knights of Krynn (DKK), but I solved the issue by changing the save game path in the DKK.cfg file to mirror the path that was created by D-Fend Reloaded for Champions. In this case it was "C:\CHAMPI~1\SAVE\".

However, now I'm running into the same issue trying to import my characters into Dark Queen of Krynn (DQK), but a similar fix isn't working this time. D-Fend Reloaded created the following save game path for Death Knights: "C:\DEATHK~4\SAVE\". DQK automatically uses "C:\DKK\SAVE" as the save game path for Death Knights. Unlike the first two games, DQK has three disks, and the DQK.cfg file is located in the "Disk1" folder. When I tried to change the path within the .cfg file, the game wouldn't load anymore and said that I needed to "Please Insert Disk 1". So then I found an option within D-Fend Reloaded to Run Setup, so I did that and tried to change the save game path that way, but it said that there was an error and wouldn't let the change go through.

Finally, I used a hex editor to go into the DQK.cfg file and change the save game path to the correct one, because previous attempts seemed to corrupt the file if I changed the size at all. This time I got the game to start without asking for disk1, but it still doesn't read any save files from Death Knights same as before. When I try to Add Characters it says that none are found, and when I try to load the game from DKK, it just takes me back to the main menu - this was the same situation I ran into at the beginning. I've also tried creating a DKK/SAVE folder in my C: drive, and copy all of the DKK save files there, but that hasn't helped either.

I've noticed that the file types are different, and reading some other posts, it seems like SSI made some changes when they made DQK. I'm out of ideas as to what to do, and can't find anyone who's dealt with this using D-Fend Reloaded - as opposed to WizWorks or straight DOSBox. I'd really like to play with the characters that I've taken through the first two games, so hoping that someone reads this post and can help me.

Reply 2102 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know the mentioned games so I can't say much about this. But you can change the game folder to match the value from the configuration file easily: Open the games folder in the Windows Explorer (in DFR: Extras->Open games folder) and rename the folder from what ever the long form of CHAMPI~1 is to DKK. Then open the profile editor for the specific game and change the path to the game exe file there.

Reply 2103 of 2280, by PaulMorel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CaptPete2003 wrote:
Alexander, […]
Show full quote

Alexander,

Windows 10 64-bit
D-Fend Reloaded 1.4.4 (Portable mode)
over 1200 profiles

I'm getting random crashes when using the profile editor to add or edit profiles. Seems to have started with Windows 10 update but I'm not sure about that. Can happen the first time the editor is used or the nth time - no set pattern.

I'm using D-fend Reloaded Portable mode latest version with Windows 7 64bit with full admin privileges and I'm having all sorts of random crashes and "Access violation" messages. It's really unstable. I don't know if this is just a problem with me (It used to run fine with the same configuration) or with the program. Just figured you should know in case it's a common problem.

Reply 2104 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using DFR on Windows 7, 64 bit with 1000+ profiles and without any problems. Random problems while using the GUI sometimes arise when using some strange tools for changing the Windows look & feel. Besides this there are not any known problems on Windows 7 or on large profile data bases.

Reply 2105 of 2280, by PaulMorel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

I'm using DFR on Windows 7, 64 bit with 1000+ profiles and without any problems. Random problems while using the GUI sometimes arise when using some strange tools for changing the Windows look & feel. Besides this there are not any known problems on Windows 7 or on large profile data bases.

I figured out the problem on my end. I stopped using Bassmidi and the crashes and access violations stopped.

Reply 2106 of 2280, by ncng87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using D-Fend Reloaded with DOSBox MB6, I have my DOS DesignCAD 2-D program running on my Win 7 64 bit computer. Now I need to be able to print out drawings to my wide carriage Panasonic KX-2624 dot matrix printer on LPT1. The printer driver in DesignCAD already formats the data for direct printing. I have found several posts about changing the configuration file but with the D-Fend Reloaded front end, it erases the configuration file when you close the program. Is there some way in D-Fend Reloaded to change the profile data to add/change the information for [Printer] and [Parallel] to do what I want?

Thank you for your help.

David

Reply 2107 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Go to the "DOSBox CVS features" page of the setup dialog (sub page of "External program" -> "DOSBox") and check "Activate printer settings" there. Opening the profile editor will show a new page for printer setup. If you want to add furthermore lines, not covered by the DFR settings, to the temporary DOSBox conf file used when starting DOSBox you can write these lines into the "Custom settings" box on the "DOSBox" page of the profile editor.

Reply 2108 of 2280, by Trajk Logik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ranthalion75 wrote:
Hello Alexander and fellow D-Fend users, I brought this up a while back and there wasn't a fix for it. I'm running the lat […]
Show full quote

Hello Alexander and fellow D-Fend users,
I brought this up a while back and there wasn't a fix for it. I'm running the latest version of D-FR (1.4.4) Portable. My Screenshots folder always shows my screenshots aligned to the bottom left of the viewport. They are in alphabetical order, but going up, instead of down. Is anyone else's like this, or is it just a glitch in my settings. This has been through quite a few versions.

Thanks guys,
Steve

This started in version 1.1.0.

1.0.3 is the last version I have that displays the screenshots in alphabetical order going down.

Reply 2109 of 2280, by Anonymous MOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Trajk Logik wrote:
Ranthalion75 wrote:
Hello Alexander and fellow D-Fend users, I brought this up a while back and there wasn't a fix for it. I'm running the lat […]
Show full quote

Hello Alexander and fellow D-Fend users,
I brought this up a while back and there wasn't a fix for it. I'm running the latest version of D-FR (1.4.4) Portable. My Screenshots folder always shows my screenshots aligned to the bottom left of the viewport. They are in alphabetical order, but going up, instead of down. Is anyone else's like this, or is it just a glitch in my settings. This has been through quite a few versions.

Thanks guys,
Steve

This started in version 1.1.0.

1.0.3 is the last version I have that displays the screenshots in alphabetical order going down.

Thanks for the info! 😀

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Windows 11 Home, 64-bit

Reply 2110 of 2280, by ConjurerDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I´m using D-Fend Reloaded to play the old Sid Meier Railroad Tycoon and RRT deluxe.

In the original RRT the game offers two choices for graphics and sound where I have to press 1, 5 and 1 (VGA, Roland music, mouse and keyboard).
Is there a way to automate that with D-Fend Reloaded to always have RRT start with those options?

Reply 2111 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, but as far as I know DOSBox cannot just send keys to a program running in DOSBox. You can try to find some DOS TSR running inside DOSBox doing this job or some Windows macro recorder which can send the keys to DOSBox and DOSBox then is giving them to the game. If you want to control the macro recorder via DFR you start the program via the "Helper programs" page of the profile editor.

Reply 2112 of 2280, by Krondorf©

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi Alexander, a friend and i were using DFR to play worms through IPX the other day and it worked great, now it doesn't. Client side it just closes when trying to connect.
Any idea what might be the issue? My friend checked out a few other games and when you enable IPX it does the same thing, but not when IPX isn't used...

Reply 2113 of 2280, by sean_skroht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm the friend that Krondorf was referring too. We are both useing latest D-Fend Reloaded on Windows 10.

On the 16th of October we were playing the CD version of Worms United and Reinforcements. I was the server and Krondorf was the client and all worked really well.
We tried again on the 19th and I was able to start the game as IPX server. The game went to connection countdown as it should and was waiting for Krondorf to connect. Krondorf, as usual, was client. At the point where his game tries to connect DOSBox completely shuts down with no explanation.

This premature shutdown problem ONLY occurs when you're set as client. If you're server it's fine. Ive tried other games and have set myself as IPX client and DOSBox will shutdown. In the 3 days between when Krondorf and myself tried it initially to the time we tried it again and failed there were no changes to our systems except for 2 Windows 10 updates that were rolled out on the 16th of October. They were KB3097617 and KB3099406 and I'm not sure if these are a factor in why all of a sudden IPX client isn't working. I've checked everything from port forwarding to the configuration file and can't see anything wrong. I even created a new config from scratch but problem still occurs.

hope someone can confirm this issue. Thanks.

Reply 2114 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, but this does not sound like a D-Fend Reloaded related problem. It's even not clear if this is a DOSBox problem anyway. If the connection worked one day and did not work another day it's more likely something on the system changed causing the problem.

Reply 2116 of 2280, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alexander wrote:
Hi everybody, […]
Show full quote

Hi everybody,

I have used D-Fend for nearly a year but then the development of D-Fend was stopped. Additionally D-Fend had some things I did not like (index files, absolute pathes). In my games database there are over 200 game records (with D-Fend profiles). So I decided to write a new frontend which can read the D-Fend profiles, has all features of good old D-Fend and even looks like D-Fend.

If you are interessted in D-Fend Reloaded you can find it here:
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

The main features of D-Fend Reloaded are:

• 100% D-Fend compatible, all features of D-Fend
  • Vista compatible (can use a subfolder of the user directory for config files but also can act like D-Fend and use the program folder)
  • Complete games can be transfered or deleted (not only the profile)
  • Building EXE-installers to transfer games (this requires NSIS)
  • Portable operation mode to run from USB-Sticks
  • Language support (at the moment english and german are included)
  • Installer contains DOSBox and DOSBox language files (one installation and everything is ready)
  • Open source

You can find a complete feature list here:
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/Features.html

I you like D-Fend Reloaded and want to help me, you can write language files (other than english and german) or find some nicer icons.

Screenshot1.Start.eng.gif

(Edit to change the topic name of the thread.)

I love you man thanks so much for D-Fend Reloaded its awesome, working with dosbox and a real installer now

Reply 2118 of 2280, by Khahhbox10T

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. Could you point me to conversations about "User defined categories"?
#1- How do I make games appear "only" in the folder (tree) chosen?
#2 - Is there a way to mass set: genre,year,setup...etc?
#3 - Can I control how long something has to have been played to show up in "recently Played"?
#4 - you already have code that tells you how many times a game has been played, is there anyway to create a "all tree folder" that lists the times a game has been played in descending order?

Thanks, great program.

Reply 2119 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

#1 If you define some meta information on the "Program information" page of the profile editor for some game, it will be listed only if you selected the matching value in the category tree. For example if you select "1990" as the release year on the "Program information" page, a sub entry "1990" below "Year" will appear in the tree view. If you click this sub entry only games released 1990 will appear in the list.

#2 Yes, menu: Extras -> Edit multiple profiles.

#3 No, but you can see here how the game starting is counted: Extras -> View history. And in the settings dialog (page General -> Data privacy) you can turn off collecting history data if you want to.

#4 You can add a "Number of starts" column to the games list (and then also sort the list by this column). Check the entry "Number of starts" in the "Visible columns and order" box on the page User interface -> Games list -> Columns in the games list in the settings dialog.