D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1880 of 2280, by SammaySarkar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Workaround regarding the topic of mounting ISOs:
In the Windows profile's Profile Editor,

• use your ISO mounter's mounting command as a "Command before main program" (in Helper Programs)
  • and it's unmounting command as an "Extra Program File".

An example:
I have WinCDEmu. SO to mount play.iso, I would use the following as a "Command before main program":

"C:\Program Files (x86)\WinCDEmu\batchmnt.exe" "path\to\play.iso"

Then I would click "Extra Program Files" button and
put this in the "Filename" field:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\WinCDEmu\batchmnt.exe"

and this in "Parameters":

/unmount "path\to\play.iso"

Suppose I put this in "Description":

Eject Game Disc

Usage:

• The mounter software will mount the necessary image before the windows game starts,
  • and after exiting the game, just right-click the game entry and select "Additional Program File" -> "Eject Game Disc"

I've been happily using this method to run some Windows games via DFR for quite some time.
Of course this requires the same mounting software to be present in every PC D-Fend Reloaded runs in (if you are using the portable edition). I doubt there are many truly portable software of this kind available. (On a side note, mentioned WinCDEmu has a portable version but without commandline capabilities.)

Reply 1882 of 2280, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DarkTemplar wrote:

That sounds like a good solution though the problem is that profiles don't stay portable that way. Is there some kind of a portable solution?

You could always set up a file share and try mounting the share path. You're probably not going to be able to mount relative paths.

Reply 1883 of 2280, by SammaySarkar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm pretty certain mounting an image as a virtual disk requires admin rights. So unless all your pc are belong to pre-vista OS, no portable solution.
On the other hand, Windows 8 supports iso mounting by default; just opening the iso file will do.

Reply 1884 of 2280, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SammaySarkar wrote:

I'm pretty certain mounting an image as a virtual disk requires admin rights. So unless all your pc are belong to pre-vista OS, no portable solution.
On the other hand, Windows 8 supports iso mounting by default; just opening the iso file will do.

I'm assuming it doesn't support bin/cue format, though, which means audio tracks are not supported.

Reply 1886 of 2280, by Tailikku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an error that appears when I try starting a game (and this is on the latest release).
ERROR: Could not start C:\Program Files (x86)\D-Fend Reloaded\DOSBox\DOSBOX.EXE

Any way to fix this, since DOSBox runs fine on its own.

Reply 1888 of 2280, by Ford Prefect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear all, apologies if this isn't the correct thread. I found this link on the D-Fend Reloaded project page.

I managed to successfully install Syndicate - American Revolt and it runs perfectly. However, I can't save games. Each time I save a game I don't get any error message, but when I return to the load/save screen it says EMPTY where my saved game is supposed to be (just as I hadn't saved anything).
I created the Data Folder for Syndicate - American Revolt and it's empty.

Any hint? Thanks in advance.

Reply 1889 of 2280, by Tailikku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alexander wrote:

Hi Tailikku,
some more information on this problem would be helpful. For the rest of us DFR is working fine so this is not a general problem.

Well what I mean is that if I click on a program in D-Fend Reloaded itself, it brings up this message, including if I try to run DOS Box in it. But If I run DOS Box on its own, I don't get this error message.

Reply 1890 of 2280, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently downloaded Taewoong's DOSBox SVN build because it comes with save/load state support. I noticed that it has new outputs such as Direct3D, but the only way I can get it to work with D-Fend Reloaded is if I manually edit the games .conf file and change it to "output=direct3d". Then, D-Fend Reloaded will ask me if I want to re-load the configuration file because it has changed and if I say "yes", the game will launch in Direct3D (even though it still says overlay in the gui menu).

What I'm wondering is if there's any way to add the "direct3d" option to the output options in D-Fend Reloaded so that I can change multiple games at the same time. That would be incredibly handy instead of having to manually edit each games conf file.. that can get tedious.

Reply 1891 of 2280, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lukeman3000 wrote:

I recently downloaded Taewoong's DOSBox SVN build because it comes with save/load state support. I noticed that it has new outputs such as Direct3D, but the only way I can get it to work with D-Fend Reloaded is if I manually edit the games .conf file and change it to "output=direct3d". Then, D-Fend Reloaded will ask me if I want to re-load the configuration file because it has changed and if I say "yes", the game will launch in Direct3D (even though it still says overlay in the gui menu).

What I'm wondering is if there's any way to add the "direct3d" option to the output options in D-Fend Reloaded so that I can change multiple games at the same time. That would be incredibly handy instead of having to manually edit each games conf file.. that can get tedious.

You can add custom DOSBox installations to D-Fend via the prgoram-wide options. Under the program-wide DOSBox settings, you can also specify that you would like access to settings that apply only to SVN builds (such as Taewoong's DOSBox SVN Daum build). This will get you access to output=direct3d in the game-specific profiles.

Reply 1892 of 2280, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:
lukeman3000 wrote:

You can add custom DOSBox installations to D-Fend via the prgoram-wide options. Under the program-wide DOSBox settings, you can also specify that you would like access to settings that apply only to SVN builds (such as Taewoong's DOSBox SVN Daum build). This will get you access to output=direct3d in the game-specific profiles.

Thanks!

To add the custom SVN installation, I simply installed it and pointed D-Fend's DOSBox directory to the new location. To add more choices to the output menu, I had to go to File > Program Options > Profile Editor > Default Values ("Advanced" mode has to be enabled to see these options).

Reply 1895 of 2280, by eraH_retired

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

They rolled the site back to what it was, so I don't think it will be too long before the scraper is rolled back to the old one. You could probably do it yourself looking back through old posts on this thread.

Reply 1897 of 2280, by magnac.s

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am French and my verson defends-reloaded is French.

I am a user since some defends Reloaded, great program to find the joys of old Dos games. But I have a problem with this software because when I use the "Download information game" function in the information on the program I have the following message section: Error reading data from Mobygames.com. Can you tell me why and how to solve this problem? Thank you in advance. Stéphane

Reply 1898 of 2280, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
magnac.s wrote:

Hello,

I am French and my verson defends-reloaded is French.

I am a user since some defends Reloaded, great program to find the joys of old Dos games. But I have a problem with this software because when I use the "Download information game" function in the information on the program I have the following message section: Error reading data from Mobygames.com. Can you tell me why and how to solve this problem? Thank you in advance. Stéphane

This is discussed in the previous 3 posts.