VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 40, by Kinseek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seems the latest Dosbox is incompatible with a G3 perhaps? Maybe they ditched support, and it was not an unintentional bug.

Nevertheless; I found a build of 0.71 that was compiled with support for G3. I replaced the one included in Boxer with that one, and lo and behold it worked. Quite slow though, but I don´t think there is much that can be done about that since the G3 itself is quite slow 🙁.

http://www.enosnusnu.de/index.php?/categories … lstunde/P2.html - Found the G3 compatible version here.

EDIT: The 0.70 of Dosbox you linked to Vigil started up as well. I would suppose the 0.71 I found would be better to use since it´s a newer version, and was also said to have been optimized for some extent for the G3.

Last edited by Kinseek on 2008-06-02, 12:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 40, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kinseek wrote:

That's Rhoenie. 😀

P.S.
Same for db 0.72: DOSBox-0.72-for-G3

Last edited by IIGS_User on 2008-06-02, 12:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Klimawandel.

Reply 22 of 40, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok great, thanks for trying that Kinseek. I'll make a note about that in the Boxer support notes, and hopefully I will be able to find/make a build of 0.72 that will work (I don't want to fall back to 0.70).

Could you tell me what games are running slow? Something like Commander Keen shouldn't tax a 600mhz G3 but you could try adjusting the emulated CPU speed with Cmd-Up/Down and the frameskip with Cmd-Opt-Up/Down. Let me know if there are particular settings that work well for you.

UPDATE: rhoenie also made a G3-only build of DOSBox 0.72 which may give you better performance and certainly better compatibility. There is also a brief explanation of why the main 0.72 release is not compatible with G3s.

Reply 23 of 40, by Kinseek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I used the G3 build of 0.72 now (including the settings file that was included in the .dmg). Commander Keen runs quite slow with default settings. I lowered it to 500 CPU cycles (the minimum it seems) and 3 frame skips and it runs reasonably well now. Not like lightning, but playable enough. Tried UFO: Enemy Unknown and it ran unplayable slow.

Reply 24 of 40, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Boxer 0.71 has been released to fix some OS X 10.4 errors that crept into the last version. I have updated the first post in the thread with details of the new version.

Reply 25 of 40, by egil1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but how do i make the game I'm playing use the music from the game-cd? Is it possible? The game I'm playing is Rayman, and I've tried to fix it in-game.

Reply 26 of 40, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's a note in the troubleshooting part of the Boxer release notes about the CD audio issue... unfortunately the answer is that at the moment, DOS games aren't able to play their CD audio tracks in Boxer.

However, this lack of CD audio support is a limitation I have been meaning to follow up on here, as I may be overlooking something obvious about DOSBox's CD audio handling on OS X/Linux.

[boring developer stuff]
The problem is that OS X represents CD-ROMs that have both data and audio as two separate volumes - one for the data, and one for the audio. DOSBox only sees the data volume, and doesn't 'connect it' with the corresponding audio volume, so the DOS emulation doesn't see any audio tracks on the CD.
This seems to happen regardless of the use of the -ioctl, -noioctl or -usecd mount options. It's a different story on Windows, where the filesystem represents a data+audio CD as a single volume rather than two.
[/boring developer stuff]

All that said, there is one way you can get CD audio to work: you can make a BIN+CUE image of the game's CD-ROM, and place the image files into your game package. Boxer will mount them automatically, and DOSBox will correctly read the CD audio information from the image.

Unfortunately I don't know of any free OS X utilities for making images in this format - the only ones I know of are on Windows. Roxio Toast will make BIN+CUE images, but it costs $80 and has no trial version. And it doesn't appear that other disc image formats are able to store the data+audio in a way that DOSBox can use.

Reply 28 of 40, by egil1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okey i managed to make a bin/cue file. However, now it asks for a file called msdcex, and then wouldn't proceed into the game. I tried to look it up on the internet, but i couldn't find a place where it was downloadable. What do i do now?

Reply 29 of 40, by Huggybaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Search "mscdex.exe".
You can get it here: http://www.techadvice.com/tech/m/mscdex.htm
Although the XP version has a bad link, one of the others should work.

Also get it here: http://www.computerhope.com/download/hardware.htm

Reply 30 of 40, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, if Boxer is actually finding the BIN+CUE image and mounting it then you should not need MSCDEX (it is loaded automatically for CD-ROM support), so probably Boxer is not finding the image. Did you copy your BIN and CUE files into the main folder of the game's package?

Reply 32 of 40, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, if you can't get to D then the image definitely isn't being loaded. If the image files are located in the main folder of the game package (the same folder as the DOSBox Target and DOSBox Preferences files) then there may be a problem with the image itself which is causing this. Could you please attach a copy of your CUE file in a reply, and also let me know what program you used to make the image? Also, do you see any errors in the messages shown when DOS starts up (below the big blue Welcome to DOSBox banner)?

Reply 34 of 40, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, that may be the problem...

Boxer supports "game packages", which are a way of making a DOS game folder act like a Mac application - they become a single file instead of a folder, and you just click on the package and the game inside it launches. These are explained in more detail in the readme, but basically you just rename the folder to add .boxer to the end and it becomes a game package.

Boxer will automatically load any CD images it finds inside a game package, so that they act as real CD-ROMs. However, Boxer *won't* automatically load CD images it finds in a regular folder (for performance reasons). So, you'll need to turn your game's folder into a game package for Boxer to do its magic.

Reply 35 of 40, by egil1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok i made the rayman directory into a .boxer file. but it still doesn't play the music. There are no errors in the starup of the game. I'm trying to upload the cue file here, but the forum won't let me!! it says extension cue not allowed...

Reply 36 of 40, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It sounds like your disc image is working now if the game is running... but if there's still no audio then it could be that the program you used to create the disc image did not preserve the audio tracks from the CD. You can check this by looking at the contents of the CUE file in TextEdit - it should have one or more AUDIO sections, like this:

FILE "descent2.bin" BINARY
TRACK 1 MODE1/2352
INDEX 1 00:00:00
TRACK 2 AUDIO
INDEX 1 40:47:71
TRACK 3 AUDIO
INDEX 1 41:35:71
TRACK 4 AUDIO
INDEX 1 46:36:71
TRACK 5 AUDIO
INDEX 1 50:18:71

Track 1 is the CD data, the rest are CD audio. If there is only one track listed, and no AUDIO tracks, then that means the image you have is just the CD data and not the audio.

I can't provide support for making BIN/CUE images, as I haven't found and tested any tools that will make them properly. You may be able to find more qualified assistance for this process elsewhere on the forums. If you have no luck with this approach, then for now you could always play the CD audio tracks in iTunes or another media player while you play the game - this isn't a very satisfactory solution but it's better than nothing.

Reply 38 of 40, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Boxer 0.8 has been released, and I have updated the first post in the thread with details of the new version.

(For those following the thread: Boxer 0.8 is still incompatible with G3 PowerPC macs, and with OS X 10.3 and below. DOSBox 0.72 does not support CD audio on Macs, and hence neither does Boxer - this is a bug in SDL, and may be resolved in future versions of Boxer via a custom DOSBox build.)

Reply 39 of 40, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Boxer 0.85 has been released, with lots of bugfixes, smarter features and interface improvements—and a new website. Full release notes are here.

This version now supports G3 PowerPCs, making it a true Universal Binary—though performance on a G3 will likely be abysmal I'm afraid. No CD audio support yet, but I'm working on it.

Last edited by Vigil on 2008-12-27, 16:56. Edited 1 time in total.