User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am using:

- DOS Box 0.72
- Dapplegrey front-end (latest version)
- Core 2 duo iMac with Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics card
- Mac OS X 10.5.2

Scaling/rendering is not working correctly either in full screen or windowed mode. High quality rendering options such as "HQ2x" have no effect when in fullscreen mode on my 1650x1080 resolution screen.

In windowed mode, the "HQ2x" mode will work correctly only from the DOS prompt. (i.e. the graphics are smoothed and increased x2 to take up a large part of my screen.)

When I start a game, the window shrinks back down to 640x480 (i.e. no longer giving me the "2x" expansion that the above render method should be giving me.

I basically have to play games in a tiny window or play in full screen mode with no functioning high quality render methods.

I am using Dapplegrey to change the settings, and I have tried various combinations of "force scaler" and "use aspect ratio correction" without any luck.

Reply 1 of 28, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try using different output modes. Using output=opengl I have no issues on my MBP. Also try setting the specific resolution of the window and full screen modes using the specific options in the config file. For instance - here are the settings I use:

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=1280x800
windowresolution=1280x800
output=opengl

Reply 2 of 28, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been able to partially fix the problem by editing the preference file.

By setting an 800x600 resolution and then forcing hq2x, I can get a larger graphic smoothed image in full screen mode. But it won't take up the whole screen on my 1650x1080 display. I get about a 3 inch black border around the image, so I think its only showing somewhere in the realm of 1280x800. If I force the resolution to anything above 800x600 I get an even larger black border around the viewable portion and severe graphic distortions.

In windowed mode, the DOS prompt window will display at full size with graphic smoothing, but again only up to abour 1280x800. As soon as I start a game, the game window shrinks back down to 640x480.

This is starting to look like a graphic card incompatibility, or a bug on 1650x1080 resolution screens.

Reply 4 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

almeath - 2 things would immensely getting this issue resolved:

1) A link to a freely available game that both you and we can try it with. I recommend Alien Carnage:
http://www.3drealms.com/news/2007/05/alien_ca … e_freeware.html

2) Your exact settings from the DOSBox configuration file. Not the whole file, just the SDL and Render sections.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 28, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want to be fullscreen in that resolution try these settings:

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=1650x1080
output=opengl

Use whatever you want for the window resolution. Now if you want to stretch the image to fill the available resolution then add this as well:

aspect=false

Set the full resolution to the native resolution of your LCD and by using the appropriate scaler and aspect setting, you should have no problem filling the screen in every instance.

Reply 6 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
darkgamorck wrote:

If you want to be fullscreen in that resolution try these settings:

fullscreen=false

Sounds like a contradiction there.

Reply 7 of 28, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darkgamorck wrote:

fullresolution=1650x1080

As for this part, in upcoming version 2.0 of dg I could either
1) add more screen resolutions to the popup menus
2) Or re-write the part to be listed in listboxes
3) separate the choosings of horizontal and vertical screen widthes/heights

I prefer option 2, re-writing to be listed in listboxes.

Qbix wrote:

forcing is
scaler=hq2x forced
?

The preference file written lists it as:

[render] […]
Show full quote

[render]

frameskip=0

aspect=false

scaler=Hq2x forced

Klimawandel.

Reply 8 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I would be suspicious of the upper-case 'H' in Hq2x. Better play it safe and use hq2x.

If you are doing anything to the GUI, how about automatically calculate and display the ratio (4:3, 16:10, 5:4, ...)? Maybe with a warning if some out-of-whack ratio is chosen? A suggestion to enable aspect correction??

Reply 9 of 28, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You mean this from DOSBox Game Launcher?

MiniMax wrote:

Fix to settings.conf: The fullresolution=0x0 setting (for automatically selecting the full screen resolution) is missing.

A neat hack is to define the valid list of fullresolution settings like this:

fullresolution=original 320x200<space>#<space>16:10 640x480<space>#<space>4:3 800x600<space>#<space>4:3 1024x768<space>#<space>4:3 1280x768<space>#<space>16:10 1280x960<space>#<space>4:3 1280x1024<space>#<space>5:4 1600x1200<space>#<space>4:3 1680x1050<space>#<space>16:10 1920x1200<space>#<space>16:10 0x0<space>#<space>auto

I didn't know fullresolution=0x0 or fullresolution=auto before (both does the same result for me). That's a nice option. 😀

Klimawandel.

Reply 10 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You mean "fullresolution=original" right, not auto?

Reply 11 of 28, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

You mean "fullresolution=original" right, not auto?

Huh, i didn't saw "fullresolution=auto" in the wiki, but for me, 0x0 or auto does the same.

Almeath, what I could add to fullscreen resolution options, is "Current display setting" which will set the db fullscreen resolution to current MacOS setting when starting the game. Would be a very useful addition, though.

Klimawandel.

Reply 12 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And pray tell, WHERE did you get the information that fullresolution=auto is a valid option?

Have you tried fullresolution=stevejobs ?

Reply 13 of 28, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

auto results in the same result as 0x0 because
atoi can't parse it. Actually anything which isn't original or numberXnumber gets treated as 0x0 (whoops)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Whoops indeed! And not even a blip on the console saying "Dude! Check your spelling".

Reply 15 of 28, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

Actually anything which isn't original or numberXnumber gets treated as 0x0 (whoops)

That's not whoops, that's OK. 😀

Klimawandel.

Reply 16 of 28, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah it is alright. as it is somewhat a sensible value, but it isn't our default value, nor does the code leading towards this result would win a price in good code award ceremony. (hence whoops)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 17 of 28, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm glad this issue has generated a lot of discussion. I'll be trying some of the things suggested and post back, but in the meantime, to help illustrate the problem, I have attached some screen shots.

(1) My graphics settings in Dapplegrey (note: hq2x scaler is "forced")

http://www.eftel.com/~almeath/temp/dosbox/gra … ic_settings.jpg

(2) My DOS prompt

http://www.eftel.com/~almeath/temp/dosbox/dos1.jpg

Note: I get the 1280x1024 "hq2x" as set in Dapplegrey. There is only a small black border due to my 1650x1080 screen.

(3) A screen shot from Conquests of Camelot

http://www.eftel.com/~almeath/temp/dosbox/dos2.jpg

Note that the graphics are still on the hq2 setting (well, I assume they are because it looks smoothed), but the game window shrinks down to what appears to be 640x480. I get a huge black border around the game window.

Essentially the same thing will happen in windowed mode. I can get the full size screen at the DOS prompt, but when a game launches it shrinks back to the small screen.

PS I also need to report that I suffer from the exact same problem when editing the DOS box preferences file manually without using Dapplegrey.

These are my settings:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=1280x1024
windowresolution=1280x1024
output=opengl

aspect=hq2x forced

Reply 18 of 28, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
almeath wrote:

(1) My graphics settings in Dapplegrey (note: hq2x scaler is "forced")

http://www.eftel.com/~almeath/temp/dosbox/gra … ic_settings.jpg

Seems the DOS screen is 640x480, centered w/black borders, the game screen is much smaller than that, also centered.

My testings with DOS Lode Runner tells me, if you set the fullscreen=original it should show the best result. If I set to fixed value, it shows the same situation as yours, w/black borders.

Fullscreen=original means, DOSBox tries to find the best resolution the game asks for.

The title line looks interesting, its bg is complete different from my 10.4.11

Klimawandel.

Reply 19 of 28, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
almeath wrote:

PS I also need to report that I suffer from the exact same problem when editing the DOS box preferences file manually without using Dapplegrey.

aspect=hq2x forced

Be aware, that dg overwrites the preferences file everytime it starts a game (not a problem if not called "DOSBox Preferences", though. I wonder why I made the Preferences "Name of Config file" as read-only? Usually it should be editable...

You mean scaler=hq2x forced 😉

Klimawandel.