VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

While it is against our policy to link to abandonware sites this
discussion is something that caught my eye and wanted to share with you.

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=16748

Is it really moronic of me to give a warning when (but nevertheless allow it) the user tries to mount c c:\ ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like the guy saying there is no issue hasn't taken the time to realize that there are issues.

It's "moronic" to NOT give a warning and a warning is required since DOS is different from Windows and yet DosBox allows the user to use DOS in Windows.

The only way to be ALOT safer is to just say screw it and force people to use hard drive images like Qemu/VPC/Vmware, which would of course make DosBox more difficult to use.

I say we really screw with 'em and not allow mounting "C:\" at all....only mounting subdirectories. 😁

Of course then they would do convoluted hacks with their host Windows just to get around the "limitation" I'm sure. 🙄

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-03-03, 17:27. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Of course then they would do convoluted hacks with their host Windows just to get around the "limitation" I'm sure.

This alone would be worth it to not allow mounting c:\ 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 14, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't ever mount C: because frankly, even if nothing would happen (which most cases it won't) I just don't feel safe. I say leave the message because the LAST thing you need is a bunch of newbies complaining that Dosbox broke something.

I'm not sure I understand anyway, surely people aren't storing every dos game on the root directory ala the old days? Thats extremely messy. Why not have a dos games folder and mount it?

Reply 5 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You would think that people on an abandonware site, used to using software from questionable sources, would be more paranoid about viruses and trojans that corrupt or delete files than people who use legit copies.

Mounting C:\ ups the stakes in really obvious ways; I just don't see why some people are so blind or obstinate about the point...

Reply 6 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

wow, the discussion there is turning into solid gold 😀

With an installation of Win 3.1, we're talking about something which would usually require a dual boot and all that stuff, which I would not recommend to do in DOSBox anyways.

WTF? Oh well, the guy obviously knows what he talks about 😀
Note to myself, when anyone links to another forum that talks about Dosbox... DO NOT click on the link.... 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 14, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

You would think that people on an abandonware site, used to using software from questionable sources, would be more paranoid about viruses and trojans that corrupt or delete files than people who use legit copies.

You want to tone down that generalization a bit? I wouldn't call abandonware sites questionable, they just happen to do something the law doesn't agree with. No different than visiting a pro pot smokers message board.

Reply 8 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh there goes the "abandonware-is-holy" kid again. 🙄

abandonware is illegal and you know it, etc. And the persons supporting it don't do research obviously as you can see, spreading misinformation that the games are FREE and that is just wrong, including instructions on how to properly use the programs etc.

then again lots of threads at dosgames, blood/duke fans forums and other 'popular sites' are hard to stomach the words of 😦

i'd just say forget them and let them mount C and learn the hard way.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I wouldn't call abandonware sites questionable, they just happen to do something the law doesn't agree with.

So, you're saying it's more than merely questionable? And here I thought I was already being pretty diplomatic putting it like that.

Reply 10 of 14, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

oh there goes the "abandonware-is-holy" kid again. 🙄

Ok there mr. I am holier than thou. I'm not even going to respond to this since this isn't the time nor place for it. You should check your attitudes at the door though, since you have no clue about the topic you are attempting to discuss.

Reply 11 of 14, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We all agree that abandonware is against the law. But you ever thought that Dosbox is in a way helps keep them alive. With new OSs and new computers which people are upgrading to and finding parts for old machines harder to get they will opt for Dosbox. Look at emulators for Nintendo and other systems. They are legal but the roms for the games are illegal. They perpetuate the problem of piracy. In a way Dosbox perpetuates abandonware sites. You can use the same argument for cd burning equipment. If you have a burned cd and you don't have the original you are breaking the law. Thats why I always say that if you have abandonware you should go to the site where you got the game and use their forums. And they WILL help. If you really hate abandonware sites you need to join ESA and try to close them down. Otherwise when someone has an abandonware question tell them to go to the site where they got the game and use their forum. I think we need to stop talking about this because it causes tension. This is a friendly forum to help not to put down and condemn. Thats what chatrooms are for.

Reply 13 of 14, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand. I'm sorry I made you angry. I'm just pointing out certain things and giving my opinion. I don't mean to upset anyone. If my thread has hurt someones feelings I sincerely apologize.