VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Amdahl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cycles=10000 FAILURE!
cycles=9000 SUCCESS!

Is this a bug in DOSBox, or a timing problem in the games? Do some parts of DOSBox run on a timescale independent of the cycle count? Perhaps some part of the SB code changes internal state after an async interaction with the host OS?

=================
Hello,

I have many Sierra games that ran fine w/SB on DOSBox 0.72 on Intel or PPC G5.

Somewhat suddenly, it appears there is a problem running them on PPC with Soundblaster support. I have a suspicion that it may have started recently after one of the OS X 10.5 updates, but am not sure. LucasArts' Indy Atlantis also appear to be unable to init the SB digital.

The Sierra games report a problem initializing the music hardware, the usual generic Sierra error message. If I use only MT-32 and not SB, they start fine.

I have core=normal, and nothing unusual about the SB settings. I have tried all the variants on SB type.

HOWEVER, KQ6 works fine with MT32 + SB. SQ1VGA gives the error, but runs without sound.

As I recall, these all worked in the past, so either I've changed something, or the OS has changed something that is causing failures.

LSL5 gives this error on DOSBox and then freezes at 100% cpu:
Illegal read from 1f31bfcf, CS:IP 4d0b: 1bd

LSL1 output:
DOSBox version 0.72
Copyright 2002-2007 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file ~/Library/Preferences/DOSBox Preferences
2008-03-19 18:10:06.375 DOSBox[231:10b] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
MIDI:Opened device:coreaudio
Exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7

Reply 1 of 1, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is the infamous Sierra SB initialization speed bug. This is easily avoided by lowering your cycles. No SCI game needs more than about 7000-8000 cycles. Keeping your cycles low will also avoid other speed bugs. That aside, it looks like you may have another issue on top of it. Eliminate the possibility of the Sierra SB initialization bug and see what errors you have left.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers