VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tertullian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because I think I just deleted a character in Quest for Glory 2 that I've been working on for a week. I was having some trouble in DosBox, and tried to clear it out by deleting everything I had mounted. I, um, was unaware that what I mounted was not a copy of what was elsewhere on my hard drive...

I'm not one normally given to crying, but... oh god.

Oh God. I deleted it all.

Reply 1 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

no it doesn't.
you should try if your os has an undelete function
(dosbox uses your os delete commands.)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 13, by tertullian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does Windows XP have any fancy ones? I tried the "undo last command" option in the "edit" menu of the file windows, but that didn't seem to take into account what I had done in DosBox.

- brandon

Reply 3 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i don't know.
if you disk is FAT formatted then old dos undelete tools would probably work.
NTFS I don't know as I never tried to undelete there.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I have used http://www.active-undelete.com/

But remember that every second that your computer is running, every time you (or the system) operates on the disk, the risk of the remains of the file disappearing increases. And installing an un-delete tool also means that you are operating on the disk, so tools like this should be installed *before* the problem occurs.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 13, by tertullian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, everyone. No luck, though. I went wrong in a few ways: by keeping my computer on all night (somehow I thought that'd be better than re-booting it in the morning), by not having a secondary drive to install the undelete program (low-tech, here), and by, of course, not previously having an undelete program installed.

Your help was sincerely appreciated, though -- thanks again. And it's promising that the prospect of re-playing two weeks of the game doesn't sound as depressing as it did last night. Even after the debacle, I'm happy to have found DosBox -- at least this time through, I'll be able to hear music!

Reply 8 of 13, by J.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you try any recovery tools? The fact that the file you need is very small actually means that it's quite unlikely that it has already been truly overwritten.

I've had good experiences with the free pci file recovery.

Reply 9 of 13, by tertullian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried Active-Undelete -- do you think a second program offers any added hope?

"'Hope' is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.
And then shits on your head."

-Emily Dickinson, mostly

Reply 10 of 13, by Zachariah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why doesn't dosbox move the files you delete to the recycle bin, just like windows does when you remove something?

I realize it's more intuitional that dosbox completely remove a file then when pincale does it (dvd burning software, when you remove the file from the list of files to burn, it's gone from your disk WTH, i hate pinacle 😜)
But still, with dosbox being aimed at running games, and not so tech savy people, this might not be a bad idea.

Reply 11 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is not a DOSBox problem. It's an OS issue.

DOSBox does not protect again ignorance like the example above. If the user had used the GUI delete function then the files would have gone to the recycle bin.

and tried to clear it out by deleting everything I had mounted. I, um, was unaware that what I mounted was not a copy of what was elsewhere on my hard drive...

Before someone deletes ANYTHING they should verify they are deleting what they should be deleting and that they have a backup.

For people using DOSBox with Vista they could easily use Shadow Copies to recover their files. For Linux if they are using a filesystem that takes snapshots they can recover their files. If they are using Windows XP or below then they are screwed. Blame Microsoft.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Zachariah wrote:

Why doesn't dosbox move the files you delete to the recycle bin, just like windows does when you remove something?

What is windows?

Have you ever tried opening a CMD-prompt in Windows (Start => Run... => cmd.exe) and typed del somefile-really-important-file ? You will NOT find that file in your recycle bin!

Windows the operating system does not shuffle files to the Recycle bin - the Windows Explorer application do that.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions