VOGONS

Common searches

Virtual PC?

Topic actions

First post, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use DOXbox and it's great, but now I see things like Virtual PC and VMWare..

Can't I installled one of these and run DOS under that instead?

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox is for running DOS games.

VPC/Vmware is for Windows applications/games.

To get anywhere near DOSBox compatibility in Vmware/VPC you need to run your DOS games in Windows 9x in Vmware/VPC. Even then you'll still have speed issues, 9x compatibility issues and horrible sound quality to name just a few of the problems.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had to resort to VirtualPC once since I couldn't get past one difficult place in Prince of Persia 2 and I needed the "save state" feature of VirtualPC 😉

The sound was bad and performance worse than Dosbox. I've also tried other, performance hungry dos games (such as Network Q RAC Rally) in VirtualPC but I haven't gotten them to run at all. Furthermore, Dosbox's speed has improved dramatically so there's really no need to resort to VirtualPC.

Reply 6 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if there's any other possible substitute for hungry DOS games, it's booting up x86 linux and running DosEmu, but that one is not compatible with everything and not really recommended for older games either. Jane's and Novalogic sims freak out on it heh, but it's nice to play quake at 450fps+

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yep! And you can also build a Boing 747 out of Lego bricks.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions