VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I posted on this on the application-specific forum and didn't get a response, so I thought I'd try here.

I run an old DOS application -- a text procesor/outliner -- in DOSbox on Xubuntu and in a DOS window on Windows XP. In both installations the application is set to use CR/LF as the newline indicator. When I import documents created with the XP installation into the Xubuntu installation, CR/LF has no effect. Characters appear on one long string with no line breaks.

This doesn't happen when I go from Xubuntu to XP. Also it didn't happen in an earlier set up just like this one between an Ubuntu system and Windows 98SE system.

If anybody could clue me in on what's going on an how I can remedy it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04

Reply 1 of 2, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I would start by really checking the contents of those files.

Start with a program like 'vd' or 'od' on your Ubuntu install to check that the files indeed have CR/LF endings. You can also use 'cat -vet'.

In WinXP, you can use a program called 'xd' to do the same (http://www.fourmilab.ch/xd/).

I am not sure what to recommend for use inside DOSBox. I am sure some Norton Commander clone have a similar feature to examine files.

Maybe this DUMP program will do?
http://www.esmerel.com/ewan/tools.html

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 2, by Eric Weir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

I would start by really checking the contents of those files.

Thanks, MiniMax. The files I was having problems with were imported via email. I did not have file sharing set up at the time. Yesterday I finally got file sharing working, and I no longer have the problem with files imported via my home network. I don't know why that would be.

I appreciate the suggestions nevertheless.

Sincerely,

Eric Weir
Xubuntu 8.04