VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some games like the Monster Bash demo and Earthworm Jim 1 on DOS have this problem in full screen where the sound stutters like hell every half second or so. I've tried changing block sizes and pre-buffers with very little success.

Oddly enough, the stuttering is cause by enabling double buffering in fullscreen with ddraw output. With DB off, the stuttering disappears but the game then suffers from screen tearing, and it really annoys me. I've tried frame skip with DB on, but the whole graphical smoothness is gone, and that really destroys the game for me.

Anyway to fix the sound stuttering without having to disable double buffering in fullscreen?

Specs:

DOSBox 0.72
AMD Athlon 64-X2 3600+
GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
ASUS M2N-E Motherboard
Turtle Beach Montego DDL Sound Card with X-Mystique Drivers

Reply 2 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Confirmed.

But why output=ddraw? Works fine with output=overlay for me. But overlay and fulldouble creates strange artefacts for me, so fulldouble=false.

Edit: Works fine with core=auto and cycles=auto, No need for dynamic/max, but it don't hurt either.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 4, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I always used dynamic core, but have never always set my cycles to max, since that seemed unnecessary with games like Monster Bash and Earthworm Jim. I always keep at around 10k to 20k cycles, and it worked well for me.

And the reason I use ddraw output is because it's the only output I can use to get rid of that screen tearing that shows up in games along with double buffering in full.

I tried everything you guys told me to do. Still didn't help fix the problem. Monster Bash's music has stopped working all of a sudden, and sound still stutters in EWJ with cycles set at max.