VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PKERR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you. In 1978 I bought a book with one of the first CD's with multi-media. Murmurs of Earth was about the content of the disk that is flying on the Voyager spacecraft. The disk had music and photos of things that are found on planet Earth. "Johnny Be Good" is on it. The viewer program that was on the CD was a program called gasprt.exe. It hasn't worked since windows 3.1.

I have searched in vain for something that would open the picture file called murmurs.gl. Just now I came across your program, DOSBox and gave it a try. After following your clear instructions to mount a drive I tried the program and it worked. 😀 I was even able to do screen dumps to try to convert the images into something I can view in native Windows.

I'm going to be trying some other DOS software that has never worked in windows, such as, a floppy disk reader for CP/M disks. You never know when you'll need it!

Thanks for this.

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PKERR wrote:

Thank you. In 1978 I bought a book with one of the first CD's with multi-media. Murmurs of Earth was about the content of the disk that is flying on the Voyager spacecraft.

Couldn't have been 1978 since the CD-ROM version was introduced in 1992. You can't mount golden records in dosbox.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by aka286dos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:
PKERR wrote:

Thank you. In 1978 I bought a book with one of the first CD's with multi-media. Murmurs of Earth was about the content of the disk that is flying on the Voyager spacecraft.

Couldn't have been 1978 since the CD-ROM version was introduced in 1992. You can't mount golden records in dosbox.

more importantly, I don't think DOS was available in 1978

Reply 4 of 7, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The book itself is from 1978, but the CD is from 1992. There's a program called GRASPRT (the GRaphics Animation System for Professionals RunTime) that handled .GL files (I actually worked with it for several years), which was first released in 1986.

GRASP and its runtime are on my standard test list when I install a new version of DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 7, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PKERR wrote:

I'm going to be trying some other DOS software that has never worked in windows, such as, a floppy disk reader for CP/M disks. You never know when you'll need it!

Thanks for this.

You may have to make disk images first... I'm not sure DOSBox handles the low level floppy stuff with real disks...

Reply 6 of 7, by PKERR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course you're partly correct. The book was published in 1978. To boxed set that I bought came with the cd's and they have a 1992 date on them. I think in 1978 we were using 8" or maybe 5 1/4" floppies.