VOGONS

Common searches

TCP/IP over DOSBox Modem?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now I found out about the realnic parameter and fixed it.

Don't know if you can call my network setup "LAN". It's a desktop computer's and a notebook, either connected by cable to the router or by WLAN. Router is a normal A-DSL router with WLAN.

For debugging I downloaded the wat TCP/IP tools, it includes tcpinfo and ping.

DOSBox's NE2000 is getting a new uniqe IP thought BOOTP and it can ping itself. The name of the router is seen. Subnetmask (default one) is also detected. The gateways (the router) IPis also seen and correct. Nameserver IP is same like gateway IP, all right so far.

I can ping another computer on "lan" (the host comptuer where DOSBox is running) IP successfully.

The strange thing is, when I try to ping the IP of the gateway (router) this will not be answered. (Perhaps this is the reason why Arachne isn't working.)

Windows Firewall is deactivated (I don't need it as the router has NAT and is "stealthing" all but manually forwarded ports.) so this can not be the problem.

Do you have an idea what is blocking the ping between DOSBox and router? (By the way, before someone is asking, yes, I can ping my router successfully form any comptuer on LAN.)

Reply 21 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Subnet-mask = 255.255.255.0 ?

Do DOSBox and the router share the first 3 bytes of the IP-address?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 22 of 27, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Subnet-mask = 255.255.255.0 ?

Yes.

Do DOSBox and the router share the first 3 bytes of the IP-address?

Yes, alh IP's (desktop computer, router, DOSBox) starting with 192.168.2.xxx. The xxx is different for all.

Reply 23 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And the "inside" of the router is 192.168.2.1 ?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 25 of 27, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Did you try Arachne itself without loading another TCP/IP-stack after making the adapter work with realnic? It should be able to get a DHCP lease.

Maybe you have to add the new "computer" to your router somehow? It probably won't allow random machines to connect to the internet.

There is a problem with at least one DOS TCP/IP stack and DOSBox: server sockets do not work. Arachne shouldn't need those though. I tracked the problem as far as the driver successfully reading the connection attempt packet from the NIC, more I can't do. This does not apply if you can ping the DOSBox "computer" from another one.

1+1=10

Reply 26 of 27, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe you have to add the new "computer" to your router somehow? It probably won't allow random machines to connect to the internet.

No, anyone who is connected by lan cable to the router is getting his settings thought DHCP from the router and may connect the internet. Anyone connected by WLAN to the router just need to know the correct encryption and password and he is also getting his settings thought DHCP and is allowed to connect to the internet.

DHCP ok normally means for my router you are allowed to connect to the internet.

Did you try Arachne itself without loading another TCP/IP-stack after making the adapter work with realnic? It should be able to get a DHCP lease.

Yes, packet driver detection and DHCP is working but no internet connection possible.

By the way, vice versa ping form host to DOSBox is also already possible.