VOGONS

Common searches

Game saving?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Random Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I'm new using dosbox but I learned quickly mounting a drive and all that stuff.
However, when I tried to save on a game the game shut down or popped up an error message and the game didn't save. Anyway, i've heard that I have to write something on dosbox so I could save my state on any game without crashing or getting an error.

What I have to do? If anyone knows, plz make it simple to understand, for example:

1. write "blablablabla"
2. type in "something"
3. etc etc.

Reply 4 of 19, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Typical errors might pop up if you are trying to save to an NON WRITABLE MEDIUM (a.k.a. Write Protected) like a CD drive. Posting your mount commads here would make life easier for us.

Besides, you are posting at the wrong section. I don't think your post will relate with DOSBOX Development at all.

If you mean, implementing "save states" as in some emulators, you are out of luck. It's hard to code and it's not a priority in DOSBox developers agenda.

[MOVED FOR NOW]

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 19, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Random Guy wrote:

I'm confused. What was that supposed to tell me?

I assume it means: Please say which game you're having this problem with. Hard to say what's wrong without that information.

Please tell us exactly, and completely, all the commands you used to mount, start the game. Again this is vital for understanding the problem.

Also: I'm not a mod so I hope I'm not exceeding my non-existing authority with this but: it might be a good idea to post a question like this into the "DOSBox General" forum next time if the problem is with multiple games, or into the "DOSBox Games/Apps" if its with one game only. Development this ain't.

tearex

Reply 7 of 19, by Random Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I assume it means: Please say which game you're having this problem with. Hard to say what's wrong without that information.

Please tell us exactly, and completely, all the commands you used to mount, start the game. Again this is vital for understanding the problem.

Also: I'm not a mod so I hope I'm not exceeding my non-existing authority with this but: it might be a good idea to post a question like this into the "DOSBox General" forum next time if the problem is with multiple games, or into the "DOSBox Games/Apps" if its with one game only. Development this ain't.

Well, First I write: "mount d d:\ -t cdrom" (I have most of my stuff at the D: drive)
then I write: "D:" so I could get to the D: drive
after that: "cd [next directory]" until i'm at the right directory where I write: "[game name].exe" so I could run the game. Was there anything that would mess up the saving system? Oh, and saving doesen't work in any game at all!

BTW, yea sorry about putting in wrong forum area, I was wondering myself because the area description said: Report bugs, [and something something something].

Reply 9 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Time for this again.....

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 19, by Random Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Time for this again.....

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If I follow your guide the cd command (going into folder/directory) goes dead and I can't get it to work. I tried your guide 3 times and the cd command still doesen't work.

Reply 19 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thread closed.

To prevent further confusion in the future.

1. ONLY MOUNT GAMES TO THE C:\ (Unless of course some weird game wants another letter)
2. ALWAYS MOUNT THE CDROM TO D:\ (Unless of course some weird game wants another letter).
3. NEVER EXECUTE THE GAME FROM THE PHYSICAL CDROM OR THE CDROM DRIVE LETTER (Unless of course that's the way your supposed to play the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline